No more tilapia?

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's a pretty dirty fish...that fish will eat pretty much anything. It's farmed and they feed them chicken *kitten* instead of fish food. It's one of the reasons it's so cheap. It also doesn't have any benefit really in terms of omega 3 fatty acids.

I've never eaten it. I only eat wild caught (frozen)...mostly Alaskan Sockeye and Alaskan Pacific Cod.

I don't eat it either. I mostly eat local wild caught (mostly frozen) alaskan sockeye salmon, local, wild caught trout, and sustainable, wild caught sardines (on salads). YUM

I tend to use the Monterey Bay Aquarium app for choosing "clean" and sustainable seafood.

I have read list and abide by it but....... I had to try the Chilean Sea Bass and OMG, it was amazing. I'm a bad person.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I really like tilapia. Also there's a fish called Basa, it's very buttery & tender. I read it's a Vietnamese fish

With the same reputation as tilapia it seems. You couldn't pay me to eat basa - I think it's the Australian equivalent.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I like it. I'll continue to eat it. Shrimp, catfish, tilapia and a few other things are scavengers that eat anything. Jimmy crack corn.........I don't care.

I will never stop eating shrimp! Or crawfish for that matter!
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like it. I'll continue to eat it. Shrimp, catfish, tilapia and a few other things are scavengers that eat anything. Jimmy crack corn.........I don't care.

Uggh, I keep seeing posts about crawfish on Reddit.

I wish I knew someone else that liked them to justify buying a sack and boiling them.

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There are also articles on how apples are bad and oatmeal is bad.. and I remember when milk was bad..then it wasn't..then steak was.. now certain fish has mercury and should be limited yet the healthiest longest living people in the world eat it without question. Do your own research. Articles are written by mostly uneducated monkeys. But yeah, tilapia does taste gross. Doesn't mean it's bad for you.. just means it's gross. Want to know how Germans use to make sauerkraut? You would be grossed out.. but it really isn't bad for you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    There are also articles on how apples are bad and oatmeal is bad.. and I remember when milk was bad..then it wasn't..then steak was.. now certain fish has mercury and should be limited yet the healthiest longest living people in the world eat it without question. Do your own research. Articles are written by mostly uneducated monkeys. But yeah, tilapia does taste gross. Doesn't mean it's bad for you.. just means it's gross. Want to know how Germans use to make sauerkraut? You would be grossed out.. but it really isn't bad for you.

By fermentation? Like I, and plenty of other people still do? Or like the one people buy from the fridge not the shelf in the supermarket?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong w/farmed tilapia.

Then why so much hate for it? I see article after article saying it's the worst fish you can eat.

Just nonsense IMO.

Catfish is another farmed bottom fish and I don't hear similar criticism of it. Both are delicious when properly prepared and cooked.

This. If you're talking about a fish that eats excrement, catfish is king.
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I suppose I could just google this but what about haddock? I eat haddock frequently and wondering if it's in the same class as tilapia.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    The Monterey Aquarium Seafood Watch site has lots of information about the sustainability of different types of fish.

Tilapia is considered a good choice provided it was farmed in the US, Canada, or Ecuador.

Farmed US catfish is also a good choice.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options

By fermentation? Like I, and plenty of other people still do? Or like the one people buy from the fridge not the shelf in the supermarket?

My dad grew up in Germany and he said they would layer a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw, a layer of cabbage, a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw,...it continues on that way.. in a large vat and let it sit to ferment. They process it now. But there are a lot of foods old timers ate that today we would gag on. Brains and eggs was a thing my dad grew up on. He also ate cows eyes and grasshoppers. He would go to the hen house and crack open an egg and drink it right there. Lovely generation, the 50's..
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    Options
    I researched at eat a lot of the Costco Kirkland brand only. They are fed good things and really monitored in big groups, not a farm. Research it. It's not the cheapest but for 110 calories and good quality it's worth it!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    The Monterey Aquarium Seafood Watch site has lots of information about the sustainability of different types of fish.

Tilapia is considered a good choice provided it was farmed in the US, Canada, or Ecuador.

Farmed US catfish is also a good choice.

Yup. I use their iPhone app.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate the way Tilapia tastes and I feel totally "yuck" about it's texture. I don't eat it. After reading all this and deciding for myself, ...I'm glad to have more reasons to avoid tilapia.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I really like it. That it is cheap makes it so much better. If we based it off of what every animal eats, there is alot we wouldnt touch. Pigs for example eat alot of gross crap .... but I love bacon lol.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

My dad grew up in Germany and he said they would layer a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw, a layer of cabbage, a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw,...it continues on that way.. in a large vat and let it sit to ferment. They process it now. But there are a lot of foods old timers ate that today we would gag on. Brains and eggs was a thing my dad grew up on. He also ate cows eyes and grasshoppers. He would go to the hen house and crack open an egg and drink it right there. Lovely generation, the 50's..

No offence to your dad, but I'mnot going to believe that for a second! I still ferment sauerkraut, but definitely not like that.

Plenty of people still eat brains, eyes, grasshoppers (which are becoming more popular as an alternative protein source) and raw eggs....
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong w/farmed tilapia.

It's cheap, has no taste that I can notice (trout and salmon have stronger flavors) and has a firm flesh that is easy to cook in many ways (braise, poach, deep fry, stir fry or pan fry) and will take on any flavor you add to it.

Then why so much hate for it? I see article after article saying it's the worst fish you can eat.

Just nonsense IMO.

Catfish is another farmed bottom fish and I don't hear similar criticism of it. Both are delicious when properly prepared and cooked.

"Delicious" isn't a word I'd ever use to describe tilapia. I couldn't care less about what it eats or how it's raised, but I think it's the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish I've ever eaten. It's like the Tofu of the fish world - no flavor. I love most fish, but can't stand tilapia.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I wish I knew someone else that liked them to justify buying a sack and boiling them.

@ActivatedAlm0nds I am literally sitting next to a warm 5lbs bag of boiled crawfish right now, on my way home from Lafayette, LA. I cannot wait to tear into these!!!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

@ActivatedAlm0nds I am literally sitting next to a warm 5lbs bag of boiled crawfish right now, on my way home from Lafayette, LA. I cannot wait to tear into these!!!

9c708cnxl7o8.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

There are many ways to ferment. And while that sounds fascinating, I'd bet NONE of the sauerkraut I've eaten was prepared this way.