Portable healthy snacks

Options
So here is the deal. I have me a serious snacking problem, and it's not a major problem aside from what it is I am snacking on. The things I tend to eat are easy to get at and portable, which often also means high in calories and bad stuff. I work at a preschool at current and will soon switch over to more of an office setting. I move around a lot, so I need something I can set aside outside of a fridge and snack on when I get hungry that isn't going to thwart my slenderness plans. What do you all snack on?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I cut out snacks/small meals. I find that eating bigger meals less frequently satisfies me more than lots of small meals, and I feel less hungry through the day.

When I ate frequently, I was constantly hungry and thinking about food and the amount of time until I could eat again.
  • bt36393639
    bt36393639 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I plan my snacks (and meals) in advance on work days, get it all set up and logged the night before. So I've been taking things like a little container of grapes, a weighed out ziplock bag of nuts, carrot sticks with a tiny pot of hommus, a corn cracker slathered with peanut butter or a few squares of dark choc. Usually between 2-3 of these with me come to work for snacking, all measured out and logged, and trying to get a different mix every day so I don't get bored. I also leave a little gap in my calories each day for weak moments (my colleagues have a penchant for getting sweet snacks haha), but then I make myself log that naughty stuff as soon as I eat it as a bit of a prevention strategy. :)

Im only new to this though, but it's working for me so far! I might loosen up a bit later up, but my problem has always been judging portion sizes, so I think it's needed right now.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So here is the deal. I have me a serious snacking problem, and it's not a major problem aside from what it is I am snacking on. The things I tend to eat are easy to get at and portable, which often also means high in calories and bad stuff. I work at a preschool at current and will soon switch over to more of an office setting. I move around a lot, so I need something I can set aside outside of a fridge and snack on when I get hungry that isn't going to thwart my slenderness plans. What do you all snack on?

I work in an office and I'm also mega lazy and don't like cooking/preparing food for work, so these are the sorts of things I toss into a bag before I go:

Your typical "easily transported" fruits that don't need to be wrapped up or put in a container. Think things like bananas, apples, pears and oranges.

Less easily transported fruits, things like grapes, strawberries or blueberries in a little snap-lock container.

Muesli or cereal bars. They're usually less than 100 cal a pop (always check though) so it doesn't hurt to eat one.

Carrot, celery and/or cucumber sticks if you can be bothered the effort of cutting them up (I sometimes am but more often I'll just throw an entire intact carrot into my lunch bag and eat it like that).
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a mini fridge in my (shared) office, but I just pack up my cute cooler w an ice pack and bring all my snacks (& lunch) with me.

My faves: Bananas, grapes, berries-> bc I'm kinda lazy about cutting up stuff some days!

Cucumber slices, sliced green pepper, grape tomatoes, olives, applesauce, nuts, cheese & crackers/pretzels, PB & J/half a sandwich, granola bar, yogurt, string cheese or chunk of cheddar
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, so the snacking situation is tough (everything is right there in the kitchen!). I am finding that if I plan ahead what I'll snack on, instead of going into the kitchen to see what sounds good helps. I prep my cut veggies and leave them in a baggie, weigh out my dried fruit and nut trail mix - no candy!, buy the hummus snack cups, etc. My biggest downfall is the Babybel cheese...so portable, so cute and so fun to open. LOL! I decided to quit buying them.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes. Low fat string cheese. Carrot sticks and hummus. Yoghurt
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese sticks, 100 calorie packs (several brands have them), hard boiled eggs, a bag of raw veggies like baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, or cauliflower....
  • RenBowTokyo
    RenBowTokyo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My biggest downfall is the Babybel cheese...so portable, so cute and so fun to open. LOL! I decided to quit buying them.

Those use to get to me to when I lived in the states XD

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pop popcorn, veggie straws, fruits and veggies, Quaker rice crisps (or my supermarket's house brand knockoffs)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of snap peas in my car as we speak...good road munchies!