Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Building muscle on a deficit

Options
annaskiski
annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
edited February 2017 in Debate Club
Ok, so I know I'm entering the lion's den, but I am really curious.

We all know the principle of CICO. Cut calories and you force your body to burn fat stores to make up for the body's requirements.

Add cardio, body's requirements increase, burn more fat stores.

Why do we claim that we can't build muscle on a deficit. (assuming that a person has fat stores to burn.)

Shouldn't a progressive weight program tax the muscles enough that the body would respond by burning more fat stores (just like cardio) to build muscle?

Please don't respond with 'can't build muscle on a deficit'. I'd like some good studies if available.

ETA: I didn't mean to imply 'only studies', but I'm an engineer, not a biologist, so if someone would explain the mechanics of why this would be true, I'd appreciate it.

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I'd like to follow this thread..
    I'd love to read real studies about it as well.
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Many of us point out that someone new to lifting, someone obese, and someone returning to lifting after time off will gain lean mass in a deficit. I can't find it right now, but there's a study out there done on athletes who gained muscle in a deficit (the sports were gymnastics, football, hockey, track, shooting, and some others I can't remember).

The reason that a blanket statement of "You can't gain muscle while in a deficit" is states is often because someone states they're not losing weight or has gained and people are quick to say that it's probably muscle. Seeing as how when conditions are perfect a man will gain about 2 pounds per month and a woman will gain about 1 it is highly unlikely someone who is eating at a deficit is gaining enough muscle to offset fat loss and end up with no loss or a gain because they are likely to gain less than half of that.

In that case both people are technically wrong. Muscle can be gained, but the person is not likely to be in an actual deficit if they aren't losing weight over an extended period of time.

Any link to these studies? I'd love to read them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Many of us point out that someone new to lifting, someone obese, and someone returning to lifting after time off will gain lean mass in a deficit. I can't find it right now, but there's a study out there done on athletes who gained muscle in a deficit (the sports were gymnastics, football, hockey, track, shooting, and some others I can't remember).

The reason that a blanket statement of "You can't gain muscle while in a deficit" is states is often because someone states they're not losing weight or has gained and people are quick to say that it's probably muscle. Seeing as how when conditions are perfect a man will gain about 2 pounds per month and a woman will gain about 1 it is highly unlikely someone who is eating at a deficit is gaining enough muscle to offset fat loss and end up with no loss or a gain because they are likely to gain less than half of that.

In that case both people are technically wrong. Muscle can be gained, but the person is not likely to be in an actual deficit if they aren't losing weight over an extended period of time.

There are a few linked here.

https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Gimsteinn wrote: »

There are a few linked here.

https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

Thanks. This actually explains so many things.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who post negatively about muscle gains on deficit caloric intake. I think if someone is serious about getting muscles, then a little dietary research to find out the best way to eat for good gains and a weight lifting program is the best way to go about it.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Some good reads, thank you
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading Tom Venuto's book "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle". It's packed with muscle building information..and he basically states you should eat more (of the right foods) to lose more weight - especially protein. It was an eye-opening book for me, as I'm a child of the 80s and I was taught that to lose weight you need to eat less!
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Impossible long term to gain muscle on a caloric deficit
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Being in a deficit doesn't mean you are in a catabolic state 24 x 7 - your body is cycling between anabolic and catabolic states all the time whether you are in a net deficit or net surplus.

Have a think.....
    If you are at TDEE + 1 calorie or TDEE - 1 calorie your whole physiology doesn't change from "oh goody anabolic, I can build muscle" to "oh noes, I'm catabolic, I can't build muscle".
    Your body doesn't actually measure or know what your calorie balance is and there certainly isn't a switch that turns off the ability to build muscle.

There's loads of so called outliers that can and do add some muscle in a deficit and it's far from limited to just people new to lifting.

If you want an interesting aside everyone who is successfully recomping without changing weight is actually in an energy deficit.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp
    This one?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Maybe of more interest for the general population is the overweight Policeman study...
    Overweight (26% body fat) police officers starting a weight training program lost 9.3 pounds of fat and gained 8.8 pounds of lean body mass in 12 weeks.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10838463
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @usmcmp
    This one?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Maybe of more interest for the general population is the overweight Policeman study...
    Overweight (26% body fat) police officers starting a weight training program lost 9.3 pounds of fat and gained 8.8 pounds of lean body mass in 12 weeks.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10838463

Nope, not that one. I'll come back and post if I can find it. I do like the police study, but they didn't differentiate that lean mass means water weight as well as muscle. It's still lean mass it's just not muscle.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    how muscle are we talking about
  • rollerjog
    Options
    much
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Easy, just take steroids.
  • rollerjog
    Options
    lol
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You can't gain pounds of muscle in a deficit. Absolutely no way possible.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Strength gains are possible in people new to lifting - regardless of their fitness otherwise - by CNS adaptation.

There's not a nerve fiber to trigger every muscle cell contraction individually; they're done in bundles of muscle cells to a single nerve impulse. By getting under a barbell you're training the CNS that yes, MORE muscle fibers need to be firing (contracting) to move this heavy weight. This CNS training happens whether you're eating less, more, or at your TDEE.

Whether you can put on muscle mass while losing weight is a separate question, and partly dependent on how overfat you are compared to a normal body fat percentage. Body fat is fuel, and in obese people can be used to build muscle despite cutting calories. The science is a bit unclear on it.