Getting married in September - it's time to get serious

Options
leo10021
leo10021 Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone - I have been a long-time lurker and appreciate all of the wisdom you've secretly shared with me over the past few months.

However, it is time to come out of the shadows because I need some serious accountability. I am 29F and getting married at the end of September. I have always been athletic (done a marathon, triathlon but never anything approaching elite) and somewhat of a gym rat (spinner, tabata, yoga) and semi-conscious of what I eat (more vegetables, less garbage), but never taken things too terribly seriously because I haven't really had to until now.

A few things:

-I am 5'8 and hovering right around 150. My scale says my body fat % has hovered around 23-24 for the past few months.

-In college and my early twenties, I weighed 130-135 lbs. I strongly feel this is the level I look my best at, and would do ANYTHING (just about) to get back to this for my wedding. I know this is relatively small. I have the utmost respect and awe for those here who face a more difficult battle and am not looking for compliments or flattery of any sort.

-As you all know, life and work and late 20s metabolism get in the way to make this difficult, if not impossible.

-I have a serious sweet tooth, like actual addiction to sugar. I can't make it more than 24 hours without going into a shop to buy some candy or sweets, even after eating a nice kale salad or clean piece of chicken or having a great workout. This is disgusting and I am so ashamed of myself and I have to hide this from my fiance. This is what I imagine it must be like to be addicted to drugs. I thankfully haven't descended into binge territory yet (just the equivalent of 4-5 hershey kisses a day), but I know sugar is total poison and the sooner I can quit, the better.

-I have toyed in the past with intermittent fasting last year for about 4 months and got back down to 140, until it messed up cycles (too early some months, too late some months) and read too many things online about harmful effects on fertility in women of childbearing age if you keep this up.

-I have lately been sticking to 1500 calories a day for the past month (as opposed to around 2000) and the weight is slowly creeping back down to 148 on average. BUT I AM SO FREAKING HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!!

So my fellow MFPers, all I am asking for are any special thought tricks to help keep myself on track! Keep the ideas and positive vibes coming!

Replies

• 1234newman
    1234newman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    leo10021,

He IS marrying you. So you must offer a far better package than you believe.
    However you are right to want to be fitter, healthier and capable of living life to the fullest.

Many must more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly to offer advice and help.

However, I would like to suggest that mindful meditation is scientifically proven and could contribute to other areas of your life. It may be something that you could try together and keep up for your own good.

There are free programs about and some here may know options available to you. For practical benefits will require you to practise 2x10 (ten) mins a day. How tough is that? It could be the anchor and complement the change in preferred foods (veggies provide quantity, which is good).

I have a lot of kgs to lose and am early in my journey too. It is a lifestyle change.

• alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can have your sweets (in moderation) everyday as long as it fits within your calorie allowance for the day. Weigh all solids with a food scale and measure all liquids, and log everything that enters your mouth lol. There is no bad food, just to much food.
  • 1234newman
    1234newman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That should be, 'Many much more knowledgeable..."

Which also gives me the opportunity to make very plain that I am suggesting Mindful Meditation as an adjunct to MFP and not as a replacement.
  • samantaggart
    samantaggart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have to lose just about 20-25 pounds! It's surprisingly difficult to lose these last pounds..want to be friends on here?

PS @AllOutof_Bubblegum people can be and ARE addicted to food and sugar so I don't think we should tell someone else what is or isn't true about them.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not poison. If you feel the need to have a small treat every day, fit it into you macro and calorie goals and go ahead and have it. You can still lose weight and be healthy eating treats. Too much of anything is bad, it's about moderation. 4-5 Hershey kisses a day is totally reasonable and ok.

You are not addicted to sugar, and frankly statements like that are doing a great disservice and nose-thumbing at the people who are actually battling with real drug addictions. Don't go there.

Totally agree.

Don't believe the hype about sugar being "evil".

It's food. Don't be afraid of food.

Read the My Fitness Pal Helpful Posts (announcement thread in this forum):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

And stop eating kale salad! You're making me sad.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not poison.

If you eat the equivalent of 4-5 Hershey's kisses a day, then why not make room for them in your calorie budget and just keep them on hand in the house?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal to lose 0.5lb per week, make sure you're eating enough fat and protein to keep you full.

And remember, you'll need to maintain your weight after your last fitting, so you've got till August to get where you want to be, not September.
  • leo10021
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your thoughtful replies. I did not mean to imply that a drug addiction is equivalent to a sugar addiction as far as harmful effects on the body, but rather was making an comparison to the overpowering compulsion and stop-at-nothing craving for my next fix every day. Sometimes its more than a few candies here or there. I should have chosen my words better.

I am here precisely because I want to cut the excuses and am looking for a supportive and positive community of people that I can hold myself accountable to and share victories with (both scale and non-scale). I do not feel sorry for myself or mean to make light of anyone else's struggles, and thought some of the snark here was unwarranted and not helpful.

@samantaggart and @1234newman I would be happy to be "friends" with you on here. And think the advice on incorporating meditation into the day around mealtimes is excellent! Do you have any recommended apps I can download?

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Late 20's metabolism?

Right? It's hard to take her post seriously with that tidbit in there.
  • leo10021
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @TimothyFish @booksandchocolate12

This is really uncalled for. Just because things certainly don't get any easier as the years add on and my comment might sound naive to you, doesn't make the changes from early 20s to late 20s any less real.

It might not be so much as a true physical metabolic change, but all of the lifestyle changes associated with transitioning into a full-time desk-job working adult certainly do have an impact on weight maintenance and loss.

I'm disappointed with all of the negativity and snark I've received on my first post ever here. Success is not a zero sum game. We should all be rooting for each other. If that isn't this kind of community then I'll seek camaraderie elsewhere.

To those of you who were helpful, thank you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose and you should have the motivation with your wedding in just over 6 months (congrats btw :smiley: )...time to stop making excuses and get down to losing - focus on how good you'll feel when you do lose some - there's nothing like fitting into smaller size clothes to motivate imo.

Ps metabolism does slow down with each decade but if we move more we can sort that (I'm in my late 40s and always blamed my weight on my metabolism, turned out that I was just eating more than I was burning)

All the best :smile:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    leo10021 wrote: »
    @TimothyFish @booksandchocolate12

This is really uncalled for. Just because things certainly don't get any easier as the years add on and my comment might sound naive to you, doesn't make the changes from early 20s to late 20s any less real.

It might not be so much as a true physical metabolic change, but all of the lifestyle changes associated with transitioning into a full-time desk-job working adult certainly do have an impact on weight maintenance and loss.

I'm disappointed with all of the negativity I've received. Success is not a zero sum game. We should all be rooting for each other.

To those of you who were helpful, thank you.

I didn't use the word "naïve", but here's the thing: I'm 41 but I remember being in my 20s quite well. I was burning more calories in my late twenties than I did in my early twenties. I had a bit of a hiccup in my 30s, but right now I'm more active and burning more calories than I did in my late 20s. I don't know if it's the way you intended it, but your comment about Late 20's metabolism makes it sound like you think that with you in your late 20's that you are destined for the rocking chair brigade. Some of us "old folks" are quite ready to give up so quickly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if you found any of the comments discouraging. This can be a very supportive community - but excuses get called out. We do this because we have been where you are, and we know that we made no progress until we dumped the excuses and took responsibility for our habits. Encouraging you to take refuge in this or that reason why weight loss is impossible for you would not be a kindness.

You can do this. You can absolutely do it.