Any Swimming weight loss stories?

Options
I just started swimming as my new excercise yesterday (man I'm sore) and would like to keep motivated by hearing any success stories from swimming excercises ; )

Replies

• monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i toned good when i was swimming and the calorie burn is great if that helps its a great workout and less stress on joints than most other activities but everyone one is differant so what works for one might not work for another
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I love anything that has to do with swimming or water aerobics!!! They are a great work out, and its just all around better on the joints, etc.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I started high school I wasn't fat, but definitely jiggly and chunky. I started swimming for our school team, and 2 months later, I was soooo toned, lost a few pounds, and had some seriously sexy back muscles =] Good luck! Swimming is amazing!
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Since I start MFP I have been swimming . I do treading water with a float. I water jog and volleyball. It good because I have a completely worn out tendons In my right leg from hip to toe. youbtube has video on treading water. I have lost 11lbs with swimming and occasional treadmill 15 mins or bike or elliptical, randomly doing weights and hi hop abs last min abs which is 6 mins. You can do it!
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds while I swam on the team for a season at my college :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My Dr says its perfect exercise. ;)
  • workingmumof4
    Options
    I started swimming a few weeks ago and I am now hooked and look forward to going. You earn loads of calories. Hope you enjoy it too x

Dianne x
    Workingmumof4
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I swim 2-3 times a week, it def helped me loose some weight. I use to swim competitively, so I swim at a high intensity for about 60-75 minutes using a clock to manage my time for my swim sets.

I love swimming. I have a funky knee and it's really low impact...and perfect for summer! :)
  • jnewbie
    jnewbie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a swimmer. I only started because I want to do a triathalon. My first day in the pool I did 400 yards in over an hour and a half. I was stopping at each end of the pool 25 yards. Three months later I currently swim 3 times a week for 45 to 60 minutes. I am swimming 1800 - 2500 yards in that time. I'm currently losing around 3 pounds a week. The best part of swimming is your body becomes long, lean, and toned.
  • cfremon
    cfremon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming over the spring and summer of this year, and have lost about 12 pounds since I started. Admittedly, it's not the only exercise I do -- I've been doing ballroom dancing too. Additionally, I'm not on a super aggressive diet -- my current dieting goal is a loss of 1 lb per week, because I'd rather lose the weight slowly and and make sure that I keep it off by learning better eating habits and not crash dieting.

The swimming is really great -- I've noticed that it's really helped reduce fat and get a toned look all over my body -- on my arms and back as well as my thighs and butt and stomach. Compared to the step aerobics I tried out last year, it's way less physically stressful... and I find that it's really fun and that I look forward to my swim sessions. It's also a great mid-day break, where I can escape the heat a little. :)

Good luck with your swimming!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming for weight loss too because it is basically all I can do right now. I hope it will work for me as well. I used to swim in high school and college and always lost weight while eating like a pig. I just don't have the time to devote as long to my workouts as I used to do, not to mention the lack of a coach making me _work_ this time though, so I am really watching my calories. I take my heart rate monitor in the water to make sure I count my calories burned accurately.
  • emilyp8589
    emilyp8589 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I started swimming two weeks ago. My first day, I did 300m and it took me about 30 minutes. Yesterday, I did 1000m in 30 minutes and could have gone a lot more had I not had somewhere to be. I go about 4x's per week. I love the progress I've made and even though I haven't really seen any weight loss yet, I feel better.

Also, I found this post with a google search and didn't realize it was from 5 years ago. Holy post rez, Batman!
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    emilyp8589 wrote: »
    I started swimming two weeks ago. My first day, I did 300m and it took me about 30 minutes. Yesterday, I did 1000m in 30 minutes and could have gone a lot more had I not had somewhere to be. I go about 4x's per week. I love the progress I've made and even though I haven't really seen any weight loss yet, I feel better.

Also, I found this post with a google search and didn't realize it was from 5 years ago. Holy post rez, Batman!

Haha. Well, even though it's old: I lost 20 lbs in 6 wks of swimming. Eating stayed the same. Swimming is hardcore!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!