High fat low carb

Options
Anyone else out there trying to reach ketosis? Just after some advice and support. It is hard to go against the grain.
Have you tried those exogenous ketones?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd seek expert advice before trying such a diet. It can have some positive results but if you have problems with your kidney, liver or thyroid, are on particular medications or have some mental health issues the results may not be positive at all. Just remember that you may not even know whether you have any of these underlying issues.
  • domingoestradajr
    domingoestradajr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    nikki4875 wrote: »
    Anyone else out there trying to reach ketosis? Just after some advice and support. It is hard to go against the grain.
    Have you tried those exogenous ketones?

I use the keto os ketones. I love it. I can still have carbs, but ive been slowly lowering the amount of carbs im eating. And i don't crave them any more.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP grou[ for more support and info. They're a good bunch. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I've never tried exogenous ketones. If you need high ketone levels for therapeutic reasons they could be helpful, otherwise I can't see any benefits to them.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Personally I'd seek expert advice before trying such a diet. It can have some positive results but if you have problems with your kidney, liver or thyroid, are on particular medications or have some mental health issues the results may not be positive at all. Just remember that you may not even know whether you have any of these underlying issues.

A ketogeni diet is not bad for kidney, liver or thyroid. Quite the oposite is generally true. The same goes for mental health issues: generally positive results.

• BlueScoobie02
    BlueScoobie02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think Lillymoo01 was saying that if you have underlying kidney, liver, or thyroid issues a ketogeni diet can make these issues worse. Which is why a doctor's supervision is recommended.

"Blinten, who has used a keto diet for some cancer patients in specific circumstances, cautioned, “people will do anything to get the weight off.” However, a keto diet will do more harm than good for the majority of patients, especially if they have any underlying kidney or liver issues."

Source: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#6
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I think Lillymoo01 was saying that if you have underlying kidney, liver, or thyroid issues a ketogeni diet can make these issues worse. Which is why a doctor's supervision is recommended.

"Blinten, who has used a keto diet for some cancer patients in specific circumstances, cautioned, “people will do anything to get the weight off.” However, a keto diet will do more harm than good for the majority of patients, especially if they have any underlying kidney or liver issues."

Source: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#6

Yes, I agree that is what they meant, but I'm afraid it still is untrue. A ketogenic diet is not hard on the liver, kidney or heart any more so than any other diet. It improves kidney and liver function in many cases.

But by all means let a doctor know you have switched your diet... just make sure they are up to date on LCHF diets or you'll probably get incorrect advice from them about the "dangers of high fat" or something similar.

I'm afraid that article had some old biases in there so it was not entirely accurate.
  • Parkersspace
    Parkersspace Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad my doctor has followed the diet for 2 years himself and loves the results. It made it so easy when I told him I was low carb/keto for endurance and to assist with a genetic medical issue I have. I don't follow it all the time and he feels I should. More informed doctors would be nice.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Doctor supervision? Lol. I've been keto (under 20g of carbs a day) for over 4 years (nearly 75lb lighter). I've never been healthier - my blood work proves it. Not all doctors know what they're talking about. When I told my doctor I was low carb she informed me that low carb diets were bad for you if you don't limit your fat.

No, miss Doctor. Low carb + low fat = starvation. You get your fuel from fat. Thank you though.

Definitely get over to that group though http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • shiri171
    shiri171 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Week 1 into keto diet. Have not had any sugars or carbs. I'm not hungry at all but I honestly cannot see eggs anymore :s Downside is that I'm so so tired all the time.
  • Lillymoo01
    edited February 2017
    Options

"Blinten, who has used a keto diet for some cancer patients in specific circumstances, cautioned, “people will do anything to get the weight off.” However, a keto diet will do more harm than good for the majority of patients, especially if they have any underlying kidney or liver
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Yes, I agree that is what they meant, but I'm afraid it still is untrue. A ketogenic diet is not hard on the liver, kidney or heart any more so than any other diet. It improves kidney and liver function in many cases.

But by all means let a doctor know you have switched your diet... just make sure they are up to date on LCHF diets or you'll probably get incorrect advice from them about the "dangers of high fat" or something similar.

I'm afraid that article had some old biases in there so it was not entirely accurate.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    Are you sure it is not you that is a little bias?
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did the low carb high fat... Still am... I dropped 90 pounds... The first week is the hardest. Your body is gonna crave carbs and you'll feel a bit off, then after that you won't miss them.. Well not 100% true.. I do miss pizza..lol
  • jenbeck18
    jenbeck18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started low. Carb yesterday and I already feel so much better!
  • JoHmes
    JoHmes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Low carb high protein and medium fat works for me
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    shiri171 wrote: »
    Week 1 into keto diet. Have not had any sugars or carbs. I'm not hungry at all but I honestly cannot see eggs anymore :s Downside is that I'm so so tired all the time.

Don't worry!
    That's the carb flu!
    It blows over after the first week and then you will feel awesome!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Are you sure it is not you that is a little bias?

Possibly.

I think it is more that I am very widely read on the topic, and have been eating this way, with improvements to my health, for a couple years.
    shiri171 wrote: »

Fatigue could be low electrolytes (often called low carb or keto flu). Sodium is lost along with water once insulin is lowered. If you don't increase sodium to replace what you have lost, you will experience headaches, fatigue, nausea, and other issues. A couple of cups of bouillon or a tsp of salt in water may help.

Many do find there is a subtle energy dip when it comes to exercise. That effect can last a month until your body is fat adapted.