hitting a plateau it seems

Options
I was doing good for two months and a half and now, seems I've hit a plateau. Don't know what to do now, any suggs?

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you eating, how tightly are you controlling them, what kind of weight loss were you having, and what kind of plateau are you having? What are the numbers?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you changed your calorie goal? Are you weighing your food and using correct entries?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    We need more information to help you.

How long have you stayed the same weight and what are your stats?
  • Furrlicious
    Furrlicious Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was to 1800 calories, but didn't always eat all of them. I was losing about two pounds a week. I'm not drinking as much water lately, that might be it? I lost a total of 11 lbs so far. but now it us standing still n i have a long way to go. I'm stuck on 225 n started from 234.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How long have you been stuck at 225? It's normal to hang at a weight for a few weeks while losing bodyfat. 2lbs a week for 5-6 weeks is pretty robust weight loss and if your food intake has remained very steady it's likely you're still losing.

Not drinking as much water won't change your caloric balance, but stay hydrated for other reasons.

Is that 1800 calories all that you were eating, or are you removing calories estimated to be burnt off from exercise? And finally, how are you measuring these calories? A few dollops of mayonnaise or wrong estimate of serving size can make all the difference.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You still haven't really given enough information for anyone to answer your question, but the answer is either 1) you are eating more than you think, so get a food scale and weigh everything, or more likely, 2) weight loss is not linear, so stay the course and things will start moving again. Or both.

Lots of things can affect weight as measured by the scale, without actually meaning that you aren't making progress, including water retention, food waste in your system, etc. Did you eat a lot of salt recently? Monthly hormonal changes? Change your exercise routine? Travel by air recently? Change medications? In general, the answer is to just keep plugging along, and trust that the scale will eventually show your progress. If it stalls for a month or so, then I would suspect that you are eating more than you think, and try to figure out where the extra calories are coming from.

If you eat back your exercise calories, consider eating back no more than about half of them, as most people think that MFP overestimates how much you burn from exercise.
  • Furrlicious
    Options
    I have cheated a little, but just watched my portions. Yes i am aquiring some exercise points. i use mfp database on calories by searching the food n logging it in. Ive been on plateau for two weeks. Ive also had to take an antibiotic for personal reasons too.
  • Furrlicious
    Options
    Maybe I'm not eating enough
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's definitely not this. You'd be losing weight if that were the case. People are asking how long you've stalled. That's the most important question here.

EDIT: I see you've said two weeks. That's not a plateau. You need to give your body time, especially coming off antibiotics. A plateau is when you've stalled for six weeks or more. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Nope. That is never the problem. That whole "starvation mode" thing is a myth.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Nope. You'd be losing too quick if that were true.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Taking antibiotics always makes me temporarily gain a pound or two or maybe it's the infection that causes it - hard to say. I have a nasty sinus infection going on and have gone up 3 pounds in the last 4 days. I know I haven't overeaten so I suspect it will come back down when I'm better.

And eating more is never the answer to not losing. That wouldn't make any sense.

You've had some big losses - could just be your body adjusting. Keep tracking and staying on course for another couple of weeks and I suspect you will start to see the scale go down again.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have cheated a little, but just watched my portions. Yes i am aquiring some exercise points. i use mfp database on calories by searching the food n logging it in. Ive been on plateau for two weeks. Ive also had to take an antibiotic for personal reasons too.

Two weeks isn't a plateau. Generally, anything less than 4 weeks is just a stall. Stalls are very nornal, it's just your body readjusting. Weight loss is not linear, so you are unlikely to see your weight drop like clockwork over the course of your entire weight loss "journey". Give it another couple of weeks, then if still nothing, you may need to reassess by dropping your intake or increasing exercise.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have cheated a little, but just watched my portions.

I just had a bar of chocolate but I didn't cheat. Make sure you log everything. "Just watched my portions" does not suffice to guarantee accuracy. Portions can drift in calorie amounts. Eating a twinkie is fine. Not counting it isn't.
    Yes i am aquiring some exercise points.

TBH I wouldn't even bother counting these at least until you've got some pretty high work capacity. Unless you're doing some serious endurance work, sticking to just counting calories being eaten is much simpler.
    use mfp database on calories by searching the food n logging it in. Ive been on plateau for two weeks. Ive also had to take an antibiotic for personal reasons too.

You could be retaining water or something. Weight loss isn't always linear.

No, that's not it. It sounds to me like you might not be counting your portions accurately, and may be overestimating exercise expenditure, and/or also may be overthinking a two week period (antibiotics, hormones).

But when in doubt, clamp down on the rigour of measuring your calories. Weigh those portions, don't presume you're expending much in exercise, and don't cheat - just count the extra twinkie. Then see what happens and adjust calories downwards if there is no change for another couple of weeks.

Then the next time you seem like you're plateau, you're completely sure of your energy intake, and know *exactly* what to do if it holds. If your calories lost you 2lbs last week, you can be fairly confident you haven't stalled this week no matter how much water you retain - but only so long as you're certain you're really intaking the same amount.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's not a plateau. A full menstrual cycle with no scale movement is a plateau.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think aloff our bodies go thru phases. First we lose weight then we go thru a phase where we aren't losing rather we are toning and building lean muscle.
    Also as a though: have you considered increasing your exercise.
  • mhutton37
    mhutton37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're using exercise points or calories burned as part of your daily diary..stop. I notice the numbers in my diary but I don't use calories expended from exercise to justify eating more. First of all, the numbers are just an estimate. But if you want to use them, I'd recommend using them as just another weapon in attacking the fat cells. What works for me is I imagine I'm at war with the excess fat cells in my body and every day I've expended calories via exercise, I've won that day's battle.

A good sign is that you've remained at the same weight..you're not going the opposite direction. Keep at it..force yourself past your comfort level and stop using exercise calories to consume more..you'll reach your goal if you stay focused and stick to your plan. Remind yourself all the hard work and sacrifice will be worth it when you reach your goal!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mhutton37 wrote: »
    If you're using exercise points or calories burned as part of your daily diary..stop. I notice the numbers in my diary but I don't use calories expended from exercise to justify eating more. First of all, the numbers are just an estimate. But if you want to use them, I'd recommend using them as just another weapon in attacking the fat cells. What works for me is I imagine I'm at war with the excess fat cells in my body and every day I've expended calories via exercise, I've won that day's battle.

A good sign is that you've remained at the same weight..you're not going the opposite direction. Keep at it..force yourself past your comfort level and stop using exercise calories to consume more..you'll reach your goal if you stay focused and stick to your plan. Remind yourself all the hard work and sacrifice will be worth it when you reach your goal!

MFP is designed for you to lose weight without exercise. That's why it's expected that you eat your exercise calories back. Yes, they can be overestimated, but that's why it's suggested to start by eating only half of them back and adjust up or down based on your losses over the next several weeks.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get why we correct people who suggest not eating exercise calories back, it's a public forum and we want people who are lurking to see the correct information. At the same time, this user is not losing and in that case, eating more is not the answer. I agree better logging with a better understanding of how the app works, THEN eating exercise calories back OR using the TDEE method, would be the best suggestion.
  • mhutton37
    mhutton37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand that but I'd recommend reading this article on the research done by eating back calories burned from exercise..vitals.lifehacker.com/why-tracking-calories-from-exercise-may-sabotage-your-w-1702505447

For those who don't want to read the entire article.."The problem here is that people tend to simultaneously overestimate calories burned from exercise while underestimating calories consumed. Accurately calculating calories in vs. calories out is a difficult skill to learn and estimating these numbers may persuade you to make food choices you wouldn’t have made otherwise.

So while exercise may physiologically decrease hunger and increase your overall calorie deficit, lumping everything into the language of “calories” psychologically encourages you to eat more calories than you burn.

And in fitness, when physiology and psychology go head-to-head, psychology almost always wins."