Not losing anything.. need advice!

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited February 2017
    ccems1634 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Kelliem78 wrote: »
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.

Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat. Your body will basically say "I don't know when the next time I will get food so here let me store EVERYTHING!" Now with that being said, calorie deficient can help in weight loss but it can't be extreme deficit. Someone eating less than 1200 calories is too much of a deficit. Start eating and you will start seeing the weight loss. Type in your info and activity, find out how many calories you're supposed to be eating and eat them. Pick healthy, whole foods and you will loose weight.

No, it won't. I won't be the first to call you out on this so be prepared. Your other advice is good, but "starvation mode" in the way you are describing it is a myth.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.

Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat. Your body will basically say "I don't know when the next time I will get food so here let me store EVERYTHING!" Now with that being said, calorie deficient can help in weight loss but it can't be extreme deficit. Someone eating less than 1200 calories is too much of a deficit. Start eating and you will start seeing the weight loss. Type in your info and activity, find out how many calories you're supposed to be eating and eat them. Pick healthy, whole foods and you will loose weight.

Nope. Anorexics wouldn't be underweight if this were true
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member

No, it won't. I won't be the first to call you out on this so be prepared. Your other advice is good, but "starvation mode" in the way you are describing it is a myth.

I can tell you from experience it's not a myth. Call me out if you want but it's not a myth. I struggled loosing weight by not eating and then when I would eat I would gain. My doctor helped me see the light and now I'm losing weight left and right by eating. I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day (varies), barley exercising, and am only 45 lbs overweight and have dropped almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks by eating. I struggle everyday to force myself to eat 3 meals. It's a fight but then once I eat, I actually get hungry and stay hungry and I eat. Eating for me has always been a challenge because I'm not hungry.
  • ccems1634

Anorexic people don't eat. Once they eat they gain everything until their bodies adjust and get used to being fed. Someone who's eating a little and then not eating will actually gain weight because of it. These people's bodies will start eating it's own muscle in order to be able to store the fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

I can tell you from experience it's not a myth. Call me out if you want but it's not a myth. I struggled loosing weight by not eating and then when I would eat I would gain. My doctor helped me see the light and now I'm losing weight left and right by eating. I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day (varies), barley exercising, and am only 45 lbs overweight and have dropped almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks by eating. I struggle everyday to force myself to eat 3 meals. It's a fight but then once I eat, I actually get hungry and stay hungry and I eat. Eating for me has always been a challenge because I'm not hungry.

You may retain water due to eating a very low calorie amount but your body does not stop burning fat. Your water retention simply masks the fat loss when you weight yourself.

Furthermore, eating at a very low calorie level often leads to a person decreasing their NEAT (non-exercise thermogenesis) calorie expenditure, sometimes by huge margins. You might eat little and/or exercise a lot but if you are barely burning calories outside of exercise, your overall calorie burn goes down, obliterating your calorie deficit.

If people's bodies started holding onto fat when they ate too little, pictures from Auschwitz would not show emaciated people.
  • ccems1634
    jemhh wrote: »

You may retain water due to eating a very low calorie amount but your body does not stop burning fat. Your water retention simply masks the fat loss when you weight yourself.

Furthermore, eating at a very low calorie level often leads to a person decreasing their NEAT (non-exercise thermogenesis) calorie expenditure, sometimes by huge margins. You might eat little and/or exercise a lot but if you are barely burning calories outside of exercise, your overall calorie burn goes down, obliterating your calorie deficit.

If people's bodies started holding onto fat when they ate too little, pictures from Auschwitz would not show emaciated people.

You obviously don't understand how the body Works. I'm not going to argue but I'm going to say again to the op. Start eating the calories you're supposed to and you will lose weight.

As far as your Auschwitz comment, those people were starved. When you're starved you will become skin and bones but when you starve then eat then starve on a normal routine you will put on weight which is what the op is doing.
  • Rocknut53

You obviously don't understand how the body Works. I'm not going to argue but I'm going to say again to the op. Start eating the calories you're supposed to and you will lose weight.

As far as your Auschwitz comment, those people were starved. When you're starved you will become skin and bones but when you starve then eat then starve on a normal routine you will put on weight which is what the op is doing.

You can expect people to argue with you if you continue to post these comments. So, now that you are stating that we don't know how the body works, it's time for you to cite your resources for your claims. And don't tell us we need to do that as it's been done on here ad nauseum. OP just needs to be meticulous about her intake and not over estimate her calorie burn.
  • ccems1634

You can expect people to argue with you if you continue to post these comments. So, now that you are stating that we don't know how the body works, it's time for you to cite your resources for your claims. And don't tell us we need to do that as it's been done on here ad nauseum. OP just needs to be meticulous about her intake and not over estimate her calorie burn.

So you're saying wirh the op being 248 lbs and eating less than 1200 calories if not a 1000 daily as op has stated, is not being meticulous? She should be eating at least 1500 calories a day if not more. I'm 155 lbs and I'm eating 1700 calories a day and losing like crazy. Some days I'm eating 1900 calories and still losing. Sounds to me like all you are doing is being judgemental and assuming someone is over eating since they are not losing weight. Over eating is not always the cause. Under eating has the same effects.

My resources hmm I'm in the medical field and know how the body Works. Even knowing it's not good I've still tried the starving method and can tell you it doesn't work. Also look at any nutrition website and they will all say the same thing. You're giving someone dangerous advice by telling them under eating is ok. Not only are you not helping in weight loss, you're opening the door to various medical problems down the road.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat.

Please don't spread lies to people who are already struggling with personal responsibility.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

So you're saying wirh the op being 248 lbs and eating less than 1200 calories if not a 1000 daily as op has stated, is not being meticulous? She should be eating at least 1500 calories a day if not more. I'm 155 lbs and I'm eating 1700 calories a day and losing like crazy. Some days I'm eating 1900 calories and still losing. Sounds to me like all you are doing is being judgemental and assuming someone is over eating since they are not losing weight. Over eating is not always the cause. Under eating has the same effects.

My resources hmm I'm in the medical field and know how the body Works. Even knowing it's not good I've still tried the starving method and can tell you it doesn't work. Also look at any nutrition website and they will all say the same thing. You're giving someone dangerous advice by telling them under eating is ok. Not only are you not helping in weight loss, you're opening the door to various medical problems down the road.

Who's saying that undereating is okay? We're saying that starvation mode is a myth. BIG difference.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017

If OP is eating 1200 calories a day, that will make anyone emaciated if they're on it long enough, unless they're severely bedridden. 1200 calories a day will starve a normal sized person if they stay there long enough.

Metabolisms can drop from putting calories too low, but they cannot outpace the deficit.
  • Rocknut53

Being in the medical field is not providing sources. Meticulous means weighing and measuring every bite that goes into your mouth. OP is not eating at a calorie deficit. It's that simple. I'm not being judgemental, just truthful. I have not told OP to under eat. I never once said it was acceptable to do that. Yes, OP should be eating more and she most likely is. If not, she has a medical problem that needs to be diagnosed by a medical professional. Under eating will not cause you to gain weight, that is physically impossible. You are not being helpful by telling her to eat more when you clearly, nor do I, have any solid evidence that she is not in fact eating more than she should. As to starving not working for weight loss, no, it doesn't work because you finally get tired of being hungry all the time that you up your intake too much and go back to the same eating habits that got you overweight in the first place. Yes, I have been there, done that. I know how that works.
  • ccems1634
    LONG TERM STARVATION will cause you to be emanciated yes. I never once said that wasn't the case. As a matter of fact I agreed on that point BUT op didn't just stop eating all together.
    If you eat then not eat then eat again your body WILL store ALL the fat causing someone to not be able to lose weight. Not only does your body start storing all the fat, your metabolism will slow causing lower calorie burn and instead of your body utilizing the fat for energy causing someone to burn fat, these people's body's will actually start eating their muscle instead.

Slower metabolism, less calorie burning, and more fat storage is not going to result in weight loss.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    LONG TERM STARVATION will cause you to be emanciated yes. I never once said that wasn't the case. As a matter of fact I agreed on that point BUT op didn't just stop eating all together.

Nobody's talking about stopping eating all together, which has nothing to do with what anybody has said. The OP's purported eating level, held for a sufficiently long period, would be long term starvation. It cannot explain failure to lose weight.

Hence I already said:

"If OP is eating 1200 calories a day, that will make anyone emaciated if they're on it long enough, unless they're severely bedridden. 1200 calories a day will starve a normal sized person if they stay there long enough."

Weight loss WILL lower your metabolism. Fat people have higher metabolisms than lean people.

The only thing that will create more fat storage is eating too many calories. While it's suboptimal for other reasons, you cannot gain weight with too large a deficit.

Eating too little has a much worse effect on habits and behaviour that will dramatically harm your ability to sustainably control your weight, than it will ever have on your metabolism and how it affects your weight.
  • ccems1634
    Weight loss WILL lower your metabolism. Fat people have higher metabolisms than lean people.

The only thing that will create more fat storage is eating too many calories. While it's suboptimal for other reasons, you cannot gain weight with too large a deficit.

Eating too little has a much worse effect on habits and behaviour that will dramatically harm your ability to sustainably control your weight, than it will ever have on your metabolism and how it affects your weight.

Let me guess, you're also one of those people who believe a calorie is just a calorie? It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay within your calories?

I see that bad advice alot on this forum
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017

Let me guess, you're also one of those people who believe a calorie is just a calorie? It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay within your calories?

I see that bad advice alot on this forum

Of course it matters what you eat for countless reasons (psychological, health, adherence, flexibility), and a protein calorie won't necessarily have the same physiological purpose as a carbohydrate calorie (but both will just become fat if you're eating too much), but caloric deficits are still what creates weight loss, and you still haven't managed to respond to what I said in either of my previous two posts.
  • singingflutelady

Anorexic people don't eat. Once they eat they gain everything until their bodies adjust and get used to being fed. Someone who's eating a little and then not eating will actually gain weight because of it. These people's bodies will start eating it's own muscle in order to be able to store the fat.

Not true. Anorexics eat. No one gains weight from not eating
  • ccems1634

Apparently you don't know what anorexia is. Bulimia people eat. Anorexic don't until they are soooo sick they have to then they eat something small and back to not eating.
  • ccems1634
    edited March 2017
    I'm done arguing. I'll continue wirh my knowledge and training and you guys can continue using Google until you find what fits what you want to believe.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • singingflutelady

Apparently you don't know what anorexia is. Bulimia people eat. Anorexic don't until they are soooo sick they have to then they eat something small and back to not eating.

Um excuse me. I'm a mostly recovered anorexic binge/purge subtype who went through inpatient treatment so I think I know little more about it than you. I ate but very small amounts. I have never met an anorexic that didn't eat at all.