coconut oil for weight loss any luck? Tell me your coconut oil story..Tips/advice

Options

Replies

• kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Update: Since adding the oil almost 2 weeks ago..I have noticed a huge difference in satiety and cravings..Body needs fat to feel full and well for many other reasons..Going extreme low fat wasn't the ticket for me as I was absolutely miserable..The 3 tablespoons is my whole day in fat not on top of fat* I have manage to lose 4.5 pounds since then..Not giving the oil credit by any means but when your satisfied you eat less and when you eat less you lose weight..So thinking about the gobs of fat I use to eat to now a limited amount of healthy fat..Yea this will be something I can continue..I absolutely believe fats are not created equal and how the body uses the different fats are very much different..Studies have proven this fact..Thanks for the input all..We all have our little tricks we try whether its the age old grapefruit trick, acv trick, chugging whey by the gallons, oil, We find what works for us so far this has helped me. And props to what is helping you..
  • kwil74
    Options
    riches41 wrote: »
    Have you tried apple cider vinegar i lost 20lbs since sept with exercise
    I think thats great..And acv has helped many and has many benefits..I usually use it for stuffy noses. I will try it before meals..Thanks
  • kwil74
    Options
    andi_uk wrote: »
    Coconut oil in bullet proof coffee is supposed to help boost metabolism and stop cravings. Search for bullet proof coffee ☕

Thank you for the info..My new fav is with coffee not sure about bullet proof lol but I will check it out for sure
  • kwil74
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    360 cals in oil...I'm in maintenance and that's how many calories are in my entire lunch sometime. Seems like a waste. It's not magic. It's fat. Fat is good but you don't need to guzzle oil.

3 tablespoons of fat per your entire day is hardly guzzling it...Am I the only one who uses oil to cook with? What do you use? Do you cook? Thanks for your input anyway..Good luck to you
  • kwil74
    Options
    Seriously if you health experts have come up with a way to cook your family pan seared blackened fish or wheat pan cakes ect..with air *kitten* let me know..Obviously my 30 years in the kitchen has taught me nothing..Oh and cooking spray folks news flash is still oil.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If it helps satiety and control of overall calories, that's good for you. But extra calories are extra calories, and all things being equal, adding coconut oil will reduce weight loss by the amount of calories added. (and it wouldn't take adding much of it to start making you fatter).

So long as one is mindful of that, if it helps control and maintaining reduction of overall caloric intake, why not?
  • kwil74
    Options
    riches41 wrote: »
    I really dont mind what you guys think everyones different when i started i exercised 3 times a week not hard at all some weights 5 min on treadmill i take vitamins and before i started taking acv i struggled to lose but once i started i lost so it worked for me and lots of people i know
    Great advice..Thank you..It's one thing to post your opinion in a respectful manner. And then you have those searching threads just for a chance to be ugly..I appreciate your tips
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oil and acv don't increase your metabolism or speed up weight loss.
  • kwil74
    Options
    IvadaleBl wrote: »
    I put coconut oil in my bath water every night. I had cracked feet real bad but since I've been doing that that oil removed my cracked feet. Now their smooth. And I put it on my face before bed. Works great. I've even stopped using foundation on my face. [/quote Nice! Having to not use foundation would save a ton of money..
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kwil74 wrote: »
    Seriously if you health experts have come up with a way to cook your family pan seared blackened fish or wheat pan cakes ect..with air *kitten* let me know..Obviously my 30 years in the kitchen has taught me nothing..Oh and cooking spray folks news flash is still oil.

@kwil74

1st you weren't clear, pertaining to; how you use/ingest it & therefore it was reasonable to, believe that you were drinking it; by the tablespoon full!

2nd I use, nonstick pans/bake ware & thus don't have to use any oil/cooking spray for, cooking even; when using the leanest of meats!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Added 3 tbs a day this week. I have been logging food around this high calorie high fat food being sure not go over..So far I have only noticed appetite control, Not craving as much junk, Its only been a week so no noticed weight loss weigh in this monday..Im afraid if I haven't lost I may have to ditch this healthy oil..Tips on amount..Has anyone experienced belly fat reduction Because of this? Any help appreciated..

Coconut oil is good for you. Good healthy ingredients do help with fat loss, but it still has to be a calorie deficit overall. It's the food additives, added sugars, etc that HINDER fat loss - so things like coconut oil, lemon, bananas, green veggies, probiotics, pickles, raw apple cider vinegar, etc are what get your system healthy so you are no longer HINDERING FAT LOSS.

See, you noticed that you feel better and your hunger cravings are gone. Now focus on the RIGHT AMOUNT of everything in balance to make the calorie deficit happen. It was always the calorie deficit, it always will be. The calorie deficit works a bit better when the food you happen to eat is healthy and balanced - AND the correct amount for a deficit.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil as a replacement in my meals. I also use it for dry skin as needed. I haven't noticed any weight loss, but I'm not using it for that purpose.
  • kwil74
    Options

@kwil74

1st you weren't clear, pertaining to; how you use/ingest it & therefore it was reasonable to, believe that you were drinking it; by the tablespoon full!

2nd I use, nonstick pans/bake ware & thus don't have to use any oil/cooking spray for, cooking even; when using the leanest of meats![/

Sorry I thought I was clear by writing I added 3 tablespoons per day..I dont recall saying I was chugging it by the tablespoons lol However I could very easily do that because it does taste pretty good..And good for you being able to cook with no fat at all..I prefer to use some when cooking certain things..Especially fish products its easier to get my family to eat it if its not burned in places and dry..I will say the month I went without fat at all such as yourself was not a realistic approach to my overall goal of trying to incorporate everything in healthy limits..I can't go my whole life without fat. Plus it was just pure agony..To now I feel satisfied and content.I just never used coconut oil for consumption like others I used it for beauty stuff..My choice of oils in the past was olive, lard, or canola..So I was hoping to gain info from others using coconut oil vs others..And there is pretty lengthy studies on the luaric acid in it that is suppose to help with other issues..Anyway again thanks for your unput and way to go with your no fat diet that is very hard to do kudos to you.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    do a little research on medium chain triglycerides .... our bodies have to burn them immediately, I have done it several times... Im one of those people who do the low carb for a while and then the vegan type diet..... all it did for me was make me gain weight... it didnt help me lose, i had to stop it.... our bodies are all different, it might work for you.... i am 64 years old and have finally come to the conclusion that you have to burn more calories than you take in.... that has been a constant since time began.... my opinion only..
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There is some newer research that adding a few tablespoons daily can actually help those that have a TBI (such as a concussion.) Coconut oil is one of the oils we use in cooking -need to use oil - and we use it as a moisturizer too.
  • kwil74
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I used to put 2 Tbsp on my breakfast every day, and it didn't cause me to gain weight. Nothing wrong with good fats. I need to remember to start doing it again.
    I like to take a tsp out of my allowance and spread on my toast..Man its good I like it better than the butter I use to use!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

@kwil74

2nd I use, nonstick pans/bake ware & thus don't have to use any oil/cooking spray for, cooking even; when using the leanest of meats![/

Sorry I thought I was clear by writing I added 3 tablespoons per day..I dont recall saying I was chugging it by the tablespoons lol However I could very easily do that because it does taste pretty good..And good for you being able to cook with no fat at all..I prefer to use some when cooking certain things..Especially fish products its easier to get my family to eat it if its not burned in places and dry..I will say the month I went without fat at all such as yourself was not a realistic approach to my overall goal of trying to incorporate everything in healthy limits..I can't go my whole life without fat. Plus it was just pure agony..To now I feel satisfied and content.I just never used coconut oil for consumption like others I used it for beauty stuff..My choice of oils in the past was olive, lard, or canola..So I was hoping to gain info from others using coconut oil vs others..And there is pretty lengthy studies on the luaric acid in it that is suppose to help with other issues..Anyway again thanks for your unput and way to go with your no fat diet that is very hard to do kudos to you.

If she's eating fish she isn't on a no fat diet ;)
  • ivadaeBl
    ivadaeBl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't do coconut for weight loss however I do put it in my bath water. I used to have bad feet that cracked terribly it removed it. And I use it for night cream on my face.
  • discodiva3
    discodiva3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I Tried it for a week or so took spoonfuls twice to three times daily Made me feel sick I didn't feel or see any benefit from it ..