Fitbits - waste or worth it?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Power meters can tell you exactly how many calories you've burned; they're not an estimate but a measurement. Every power meter that I know of is rated in terms of accuracy. A maximum error of +/- 1.5 % is the industry standard.

Fitbits don't promise any kind of accuracy, do they? I mean, it could be 100 % off and still within spec?

Does that bother anybody? For $100 to $200 should they at least give you some idea what to expect in terms of accuracy, like how big a grain of salt to take their numbers with?

I really don't know what you mean by a power meter (except ones that work with a bicycle). For a high-accuracy measurement, people use breath analysis (oxygen consumption, etc.). Fitbits use motion, heart rate, body weight, sex, and age to estimate calorie burn.

There are many ways it can overestimate or underestimate: The classic case is cycling. Since it doesn't have GPS, it doesn't even know you're moving, and you get an underestimate. (You can to fix it in the app, if you have the patience.) Another case is driving on bumpy roads (or doing anything where you shake your arm around.) You get an overestimate.

I STILL LIKE THEM! And I might replace my broken one. Just use common sense when you look at the data. Also, I don't recommend linking to MFP, because it can sometimes encourage you to overeat.

I'm tempted to buy a Garmin vívoactive HR GPS. The upside is that it adds a GPS. The down sides are that it needs much more frequent charging and it is bulky.

Get the Garmin vivoactive(No HR) it's very low form factor.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Power meters can tell you exactly how many calories you've burned; they're not an estimate but a measurement. Every power meter that I know of is rated in terms of accuracy. A maximum error of +/- 1.5 % is the industry standard.

Fitbits don't promise any kind of accuracy, do they? I mean, it could be 100 % off and still within spec?

Does that bother anybody? For $100 to $200 should they at least give you some idea what to expect in terms of accuracy, like how big a grain of salt to take their numbers with?

Doesn't bother me because I weigh every day and with my trend I know my deficit.

If you log your food and weight every day, you have enough data to work out what your deficit must have been, even without the Fitbit. Not in "real time" but with "this is what actually happened" accuracy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what you mean by a power meter (except ones that work with a bicycle).

That's what I mean. You might be asking what one has to do with the other. A power meter and a Fitbit are both measuring devices that cost money. One of them tells you exactly how accurate its measurements are, the other gives you no idea.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My flex 2 was cheap, like $60 or something like that and It's water proof which is what sold me in the end. For years I kept calling fitbits "Over rated pedometers" and I can see why I thought it at the time, but they've come a long way and in all honestly they're only worth it if you find a benefit in using them.

For me I walk a lot (I thought I walked a lot) but I've never measured how fast or what distance I covered accurately. I've used free Iphone apps and even they weren't that great and required internet and a decent phone. My phone sadly couldn't keep up with the updates and could barely run most the apps so I decided to see what fitbits were on offer and made the purchase when it was cheap.

I found they're useful for me. It showed me how lazy I actually was, despite thinking I was somewhat active. Before I would work out but I wasn't burning anywhere near as much as I thought I was. On some days I barely walked 2000 steps. So I decided I needed to increase my activity and started walking 70,000-100,000 steps per week. My fitbit makes me get up every hour (noon-dinner) to walk 250 steps, which is good for me as I have a blood clotting disorder and can't stay in one place for too long. It records my sleep which BTW was shocking when I first started using it. I was getting 2-4hours most nights and now I'm getting 7-8.

Since using my fitbit I've gone from being out of breath just from walking around my house, to being able to jog 100meters in just 3 months. With my fitbit and MFP I've lost over 30lbs and I've been more motivated to move.

At the end of the day it comes down to the person using it. Buying one isn't going to make someone drop 100lbs, it isn't going to make them fit and healthy and it isn't going to change their lifestyle. It can do all of those things though if the person wants to use it, is encouraged to reach their goals and they find it helps them do so. Of course a person can still do all those things without it. It's just a handy tool some people might find useful but that's about it.
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Had a fitbit charge HR for a while before it fell apart on me. Pros: nice seeing calorie burn, steps, stairs, etc. all in one go. Nice to have activity tracked for you. Cons: heart rate monitor wasn't good at registering peak heartrates (apparently something inherent to wrist-based heart monitors), tracker could register arm movements as steps. E.g. when I went to the climbing gym (belaying involves a lot of rapid arm movements), my steps were way overcounted. Battery did not last nearly as long as advertised--barely over a day. BTW, I've tried pedometer apps on my phone, but don't want to have my phone in my pocket every waking hour just to capture steps. Considering getting another fitness tracker, so I guess I have the bug.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I loved Fitbits. Had one since the very first model they came out with. However, when my Charge HR broke (charging port area broke) after about a year and a half, they refused to replace it and would only offer me a 25% discount on another one. After as many years as I'd been a loyal customer, I was pretty salty. So I left my beloved Fitbit and got a Withings. I like it because it looks like a normal watch and you can use any watchband so you can have variety. It's waterproof so I can wear it while swimming. The only thing I miss is the heartrate monitor.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Doesn't bother me because I weigh every day and with my trend I know my deficit.

If you log your food and weight every day, you have enough data to work out what your deficit must have been, even without the Fitbit. Not in "real time" but with "this is what actually happened" accuracy.

Agreed.

I don't think it is a necessity. I just like having the numbers and I like the encouragement to hit goals that it gives me.
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about fitbits. I really want one but my husband says reviews on them are poor.

Fitbit, just like any other activity monitor, is worth it providing you wear it and use it.
    The majority of bad reviews come from people who claim they don't work or are unreliable because they actually expect Fitbits to do magic and you get slim/toned just by owning one.
    Mind you, those same people will tell you they are serious about their health and achieving weight-loss whilst still eating "food" from Fast Food outlets and having cheat days...

What's wrong with eating food from fast food chains? What's wrong with cheat days? I'm still losing, why can't I enjoy the food I eat? @MontyMuttland
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to buy a Garmin vívoactive HR GPS. The upside is that it adds a GPS. The down sides are that it needs much more frequent charging and it is bulky.

I've got one. I take it off and charge it daily when I shower and have never had an issue with it being low on power. It is a bit bulky, but it seems really accurate compared to my chest HRM and how I am losing weight. Still waiting for spring to see how the golf course thing works.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about fitbits. I really want one but my husband says reviews on them are poor.

They help some people, for others like myself, they're a fad I can't wait to see the back of.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've had a charge hr for over a year now. I love it in that it encourages me to keep moving, but the heart rate monitor isn't exactly accurate and for me anyway...it overinflates my daily calorie burn. I've never had an issue with it malfunctioning like some people report.

I would recommend it, but I would buy a cheaper one because as I said...the heart rate monitor isn't worth much. Why pay extra for it?
  • rakeshuky
    rakeshuky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit blaze. It helps me motivated and also I do any crossfit workout or medium intensity cardio I have a way to see my heart rate stats and stuff. Worth it I feel.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have been using FitBit since 2013 and I love it. Had a a couple of zips and have had a Charge since October its fantastic.
  • mmmmaidservice
    mmmmaidservice Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just an update. Finally got my Fitbit Alta and started using it yesterday. I so far really like it and it has definitely become a motivating factor for me. Didn't bother buying one with the HR function and it's used but it's working great and I can't wait to track my first run with it!
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wheninroam wrote: »
    I'm a MAJOR numbers gal. So I think I'd really like it. Thank you!

And thanks to everyone who responded! I may look for a used one first and see how I like it but really the one I want is $129.99 which I feel is reasonable.

If your a numbers person you'll love it! I am too and i LOVE mine! It really motivates you to move more and it fun to keep track and play around with. I've had my surge for 2 years and have worn it pretty much every day the whole time.

Word of advice ONLY charge it via your computer! The charger is a USB and i plugged mine into the wall using my phone wall adapter and blew threw like 3 in two months (thankfully best buy replaces them no question asked within the first year if buying them). My fourth one I've only charged via computer and it's lasted for two years ☺
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Alta. I find it's pretty accurate but I don't "go by" the calories. I do however, love how it reminds me if I've had a lazy day. Also if I've had a day with more than usual steps I don't think twice about 200 extra calories, it's a good guide.
  • nicoleeatsplants
    nicoleeatsplants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit charge 2! I just don't sleep with it on because it's uncomfortable
  • girlinbubble
    girlinbubble Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know doesn't really like it there fit bit. I personally would not want to wear one because I think it looks weird that people are walking around with an electronic device "" tracking them. But also I know that if you laugh or clap your hands there are some fit bit that willadd like 5000 steps because you clap your hands. So that's not really going to work. Also a daily walk should not be counted against your calories because that should've already been calculated in your TDE when you were giving your calorie count
  • Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge 2 HR. Wear it everyday
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The jury is in, I like the Fitbit blaze .i replaced the band with a few aftermarket ones that are much nicer and easier to use than the
    icky rubber one that came with the blaze.
    I do like watching the steps increase and it does occasionally motivate me. The sleep function and a few others I really don't use yet.

I can fool it on the steps....since I am a drummer every time my feet and hands are going it registers that l9vg6axpaosw.jpg
    as a step. On a average 3 hr night
    of playing it will register about 20,000 steps. I wish !