Should I get a Fitbit

Options
Hi,

Im recently looking at getting a fitness tracker, I have the fitbit app and is wondering if getting an actual fitbit is worth it?
What do you guys recommend??

Thanks!!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A fitness tracker can be a great tool. As far as the brand and style, look into all the possibilities and decide which one will give you the information you need and will fit into your lifestyle. I had a Fitbit Flex. When it died, I went with a Garmin Vivofit2 because I workout in the pool a lot and none of the current Fitbits can be worn in water. I also liked the idea that the Vivofit runs on a watch battery so I do not have to charge it and can wear it 24/7.
  • sophielouise1476
    sophielouise1476 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! Just want to make sure i am getting something good for my money!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! Just want to make sure i am getting something good for my money!

Again, look at what you want out of it and what you are willing to pay. You can get a decent step counter or go all the way up to trackers with HRM's.
  • scottwblack
    scottwblack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit is a good choice if you like data and think that data will help motivate you to be active. I've had a Fitbit Zip (which operates on a watch battery), a Charge, and now a Charge HR. The HR has worked well. I charge it daily when I'm in the shower or bath. I also like the interactive social aspect of Fitbit. I have a lot of friends and my challenges fill up quickly. If you're interested in swimming, supposedly the new Flex 2 is waterproof.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Fitbit app on my phone, then borrowed a friends' Fitbit One and finally took the plunge with a Charge2 which I love. I love the Fitbit app & the social interaction so that's what stopped me from buying another brand.

The charge2 works well for me as I wanted to see resting HR but I use proper GPS sports watches for my exercise tracking - the charge2 HR doesn't seem very accurate for high intensity cardio but that's not a problem to me since as I said, I have other watches for that.
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it. I'm on my feet all day at work and I find myself taking slightly longer routes or making a point of taking the stairs just because I want to hit my goals for the day. My dog also loves it because we go for a walk most days in addition to playing in the yard. It's just been a little nudge out the door, which was especially helpful in winter. I haven't drastically increased my activity but it helps for those days I don't feel like doing anything but I am so close to my goal that I grab my coat and go for a quick walk around the block.
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm recommending having any device with HR. Fitbit is one of the more popular ones, and I've used Fitbit for probably 6 years now. Right now I have the Fitbit Charge that has HR. This helps a lot, to get a much more accurate exercise log.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    A fitness tracker can be a great tool. As far as the brand and style, look into all the possibilities and decide which one will give you the information you need and will fit into your lifestyle. I had a Fitbit Flex. When it died, I went with a Garmin Vivofit2 because I workout in the pool a lot and none of the current Fitbits can be worn in water. I also liked the idea that the Vivofit runs on a watch battery so I do not have to charge it and can wear it 24/7.

Fitbit brought back the waterproofing with their Flex 2! Everything else is just "splash" resistant, though some are supposed to be safe in the shower.

OP - 2 years ago, I bought a Flex because I wanted to know how much activity I was/wasn't getting. I've since upgraded to the Blaze, and will be investing in an Alta so I have something slimmer to wear when I run - I have a Garmin watch that I use for runs, and wearing the Blaze with it is too bulky.

Garmin and Fitbit are both solid companies, as well as Jawbone. The company Misfit makes less expensive trackers, though I've heard they tend to overstate calorie burns!

~Lyssa
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Charge 2 or the Blaze if you are going to go with fitbit.