Gestational Diabetes - Low Carb

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm Sarah from UK, 14 weeks pregnant. I'm slightly overweight, only 5lbs but otherwise healthy.
I have a family history of diabetes and gestational diabetes. During my first pregnancy I didn't have gestational diabetes but this time I do.

The dietician has given me instructions and I'm ready to go. Just looking for some others to following a similar low carb plan.

Sarah

Replies

• sherrylexis
    sherrylexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am eating very low carbs on the ketogenic diet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for ideas and LCHF support. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GDPregnancyDiary
    Options
    Thanks I will take a look
  • kshutt1
    kshutt1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gestational diabetes too. 31 weeks pregnant. I'm supposed to eat 30 carbs for breakfast, 45 for lunch and dinner and two to three snacks with 30 carbs spaced out every two to three hours. I log in to mfp whenever I need help figuring out the carbs. I have to test blood sugar levels 4 times a day. So far, I have been able to keep my levels in normal range except for my morning fasting range. I'm taking some meds at night to try to help the levels, but so far, not changing the levels much. I may have to take insulin if it doesn't get better.
    My favorite snack has been one cup plain Greek yogurt with a packet of stevia in the raw stirred in a bowl. In a separate bowl: 1/3 cup walnuts +1 TB chocolate chips blended up in a blender. Then, I microwave 1/2 cup frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries) for 60 seconds. I put the warmed berries on top of the yogurt and then top the walnut chocolate chip mixture over that. My diabetic counselor said not to count the carb in the nuts or greek yogurt or anything under 5 carbs, so it equals out to be 30 carbs from the fruit and chocolate chips. Good luck and let me know if you find any good recipes or snacks too! :)