Weigh everything!

Options
I'm in shock. I just weighed a scone of the type and size I normally eat. I normally log it as a 70g scone. It's 159 grams!!!!!!! :o:# A 70 g scone must be tiny!

Replies

• suzannephillips76
    Options
    Omg I found this too when I started weighing food. I'd have nuts as a 'healthy' snack but hadn't appreciated quite how many calories I was mindlessly munching!
  • westguy27
    westguy27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know, it's crazy how your mind can trick you! I normally estimate everything by eye but I'm going to get the scales out from now on! Big learning curve!
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Irishman! Yep. Eyeballing is fine when you've already weighed the same thing 100 times before, but only then!
  • westguy27
    westguy27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey there, yeah I guess so. You probably develop an eye for it after a while.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Oh yes if you're trying to lose weight you really do need to weigh and measure everything. Its very frustrating to be trying to lose weight, counting calories and not see any results because you're eating more food than you realize.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Though some scales are sensitive. For example my scale has been off by 10 grams multiple times. So eyeballing helps me notice if my scale is acting up from some thing weird surrounding it.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Though some scales are sensitive. For example my scale has been off by 10 grams multiple times. So eyeballing helps me notice if my scale is acting up from some thing weird surrounding it.

My scale does that when I have my cell phone too close to it while I'm weighing items. It starts to jump all over and won't sit on a number
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I weigh/measure everything I eat or drink. I also use small dish ware. Over the years plates, bowls, cups have increased in size so people eyeballing things would also gradually increase their portions so it looked "right." Weighing/measuring is only way to be 100% sure.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Omg I found this too when I started weighing food. I'd have nuts as a 'healthy' snack but hadn't appreciated quite how many calories I was mindlessly munching!

So easy to overeat on nuts - that was my problem. I was eating a very clean diet just too much of it. First week of weighing on a low carb diet and I've lost 6lbs, probably water weight, but like to think the weighing of food is more the reason
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    heck most of the scones I eat are around 320 cals - as in double the cals and weight you would think a scone should be. Weighing foods is very eye opening. And cereals, who would be happy with a 30g portion! its TINY! LOL
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    So important to weigh everything. Over the past ten years, I put on about 30 lbs. in spite of always eating reasonably well, or so I thought. Attributed the weight gain to any number of things - you know, the head games.....??
    Once I started weighing my food rather than eyeballing, I realized that while I had been eating good, healthy food, I was eating an awful lot! Now I weigh everything and the weight I thought I would never lose is starting to come off.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Weighing can be a good tool. But it is absolutely not necessary.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Haven't weighed anything. Entirely guesstimating... and losing exactly as I aim to for the past 11 weeks straight.

But I'm also not gaming the system, as I know if I eat a bigger serving or fail to log food, my body still counts it. I also have a pretty good estimating game (as evidenced by my success so far).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

The relative importance of it depends very much on your goals, your body's needs, and the size of your calorie deficit. I did just fine without weighing anything for the first 75 pounds or so. As you lose weight, though, your calorie needs decrease. Especially if you are very short (as I am), you may wind up with a very small deficit as you get closer to goal, and then weighing becomes extremely useful. At 215 pounds, my measurements could be off by a few hundred calories per day and I'd still lose weight. Now, at 122 pounds, the same error could put me out of my deficit altogether.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

The relative importance of it depends very much on your goals, your body's needs, and the size of your calorie deficit. I did just fine without weighing anything for the first 75 pounds or so. As you lose weight, though, your calorie needs decrease. Especially if you are very short (as I am), you may wind up with a very small deficit as you get closer to goal, and then weighing becomes extremely useful. At 215 pounds, my measurements could be off by a few hundred calories per day and I'd still lose weight. Now, at 122 pounds, the same error could put me out of my deficit altogether.

I never suggested it wasn't useful. I said it can be a good tool.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    braves3134 wrote: »

My scale does that when I have my cell phone too close to it while I'm weighing items. It starts to jump all over and won't sit on a number

You have no idea how much money you've saved me in batteries! I never would have thought. :dizzy: