Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Is this a real disease?
  • Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a real disease. Google it. I have over 30 books on it. I have been diagnosed by two different doctors. There is even a variation to the disease that affects men.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Having roasted garlic and butter salmon fillet with asparagus for lunch today. Also going to do some research on MSM. I bought some as a supplement for my very senior horse, and after reading about it online, it is also good for humans. Going to find some in capsule form and see how it does, sounds like it would be great for PCOS issues. I will keep you posted.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Mann's Power Blend is amazing on wraps with any kind of meat. I mostly have it with tuna or salmon with mayo or some kind of dressing. Have also had it as a salad. OMG, so yummy and good for you! Mann's Power Blend, Super Food. TRY IT! I got a coworker hooked on it.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    ugh there are no "bad" foods for PCOS diagnosed individuals... i've lost 60lbs with PCOS and hypothyroidism and did not cut out a single food or food group. not everything you read is scientifically proven or true.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    ugh there are no "bad" foods for PCOS diagnosed individuals... i've lost 60lbs with PCOS and hypothyroidism and did not cut out a single food or food group. not everything you read is scientifically proven or true.

Congratulations for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Check out Kaylins kitchen

Her south beach style recipes are mostly low glycemic load (as is the diet itself).

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/p/sbd-phase-two.html

Great thread!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

Perhaps there are differing experiences among different people with PCOS and insulin resistance?

But yes, congrats for finding what works for you, you've done a great job!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Had a kickass weekend. Got tons accomplished and ate well. Lost three pounds, so the 3 I gained back from my San Antonio trip came back off. Back to 2 pounds ahead of my weekly schedule.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Josephs oat bran and whole wheat pita bread is only 60 calories each, taste way better than tortillas, and go excellent with Mann's Power Blend and Salmon. I had a wrap for lunch, mixed a tablespoon of mayo in with my power blend, added 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar, a pouch of lemon pepper salmon and it was amazing. Had a cup of dole pink grapefruit with it for a well rounded tasty lunch.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Can you please message me and explain how PCOS keeps you from losing weight and what to do? I have PCOS and notice I usually stay at a specific weight whether I eat a lot or a little, and maybe this is why and I just did not know it?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    Can you please message me and explain how PCOS keeps you from losing weight and what to do? I have PCOS and notice I usually stay at a specific weight whether I eat a lot or a little, and maybe this is why and I just did not know it?

I dont know why, but not able to send you a message. Doesnt give me an option to add you as a friend either.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    My lunch was fantastic! I had triscuits with guacamole, sour cream and smoked salmon. OMG, so much better than I thought. Will definitely do that again! A lot of work to get them set up, but oh so yummy and worth it!
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »

I don't know a huge amount but I'll message you what I do know :)
  • 1991lexi
    Options
    having issues sending a message - but this is almost everything I know so far:

from what I understand, often PCOS is caused by insulin resistance (which in turn increases testosterone etc)

it's the insulin resistance which causes the weight gain/difficulty losing weight, as you will naturally crave sugar and carbs etc. (also why metformin is often prescribed by doctors to help with symptoms)

I have heard that low carb/low GI diets help...but I haven't looked into the research yet (planning on doing some serious research over the next few days to fully understand what my body is doing, and how to best help my body in the long run)

I'll try to remember to pass on the information I learn :)
  • Shoebacha1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1991lexi wrote: »
    having issues sending a message - but this is almost everything I know so far:

from what I understand, often PCOS is caused by insulin resistance (which in turn increases testosterone etc)

it's the insulin resistance which causes the weight gain/difficulty losing weight, as you will naturally crave sugar and carbs etc. (also why metformin is often prescribed by doctors to help with symptoms)

I have heard that low carb/low GI diets help...but I haven't looked into the research yet (planning on doing some serious research over the next few days to fully understand what my body is doing, and how to best help my body in the long run)

I'll try to remember to pass on the information I learn :)

I have been fighting naturally with low GI diet and it has helped immensely. I cant take the metformin because it makes me so sick I cant drive. The extended release didnt work either. After eating well just one week, you feel a HUGE difference in your body. I have several books that tell you good foods and bad foods. I will try and post some in the next few days. The biggest thing is to not eat processed corn and flour products. Eat whole grain! No added sugar, either. I wont buy anything unless sugar or sugar substitutes are AT MOST the 3rd ingredient. Most foods come in whole wheat now, and personally, I think they taste better anyway. Instead of corn or potatoe chips, I get beanitos. The black bean and pinto beans are the best. Like them better than regular chips! Just these few minor changes will make a world of difference.
  • 1991lexi
    Options
    Help! Anyone got any advice for dealing with a cold?? I have an awful sore throat and a proper chesty cough but throat sweets and cough syrups are really sugary! I'm struggling with motivation food-wise not to go well over calories as I'm constantly cold/feel cold...I think I have are slight temperature (I'm being slightly more lenient with myself than I usually would because of this but don't want to lose all motivation)

Thinking if I can find something to soothe my throat/cough I'll be less miserable and more motivated?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Not sure how to help with this, but if youre sick, youre sick. Take whatever meds you need to get better, and avoid added sugar elsewhere.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I am making a commitment to post a fact about PCOS at least once a day. Here is the first:

Insulin resistance is at the root of PCOS. We now know that more than half the population is insulin resistant - men and women, young and old. Insulin resistance is a chameleon that shows itself in many ways, differing from one person to another and between men and women. At one extreme, an individual may have only mildly abnormal blood tests. At the other, she (or he) may have a severe condition such as diabetes that impacts negatively on health, quality of life and life expectancy.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Only a doctor can diagnose PCOS. But, here is a list of the subtle symptoms, not all of which need to be present.
    1. Delayed (or early) puberty
    2. irregular or no periods
    3. acne
    4. excess body or facial hair
    5. unexplained fatigue
    6. hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) after meals. The most common symptoms are light-headedness, sweating, sudden fatigue, and butterflies in the tummy.
    7. excess weight around the waistline
    8. infertility
    9. mood swings
    10. hot flashes (heat intolerance and excess sweating) in young women.
    11. sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea
    12. recurrent spontaneous miscarriages
    13. inappropriate lactation
    14. drop in blood pressure on standing up suddenly or with exercise
    15. acanthosis nigricans: rough, dark skin in the neck folds and armpits; a mark of severe insulin resistance from any cause

If you have one or more of these signs or symptoms, you should make an appointment with your doctor. They may refer you to an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS.