PCOS - Low Glycemic Load Ideas

Options
Shoebacha1
Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
I am having to battle PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) naturally due to the medication making me too sick. The key is low glycemic load food snacks throughout the day and lots of exercise to battle the insulin resistance. I have made many changes in my diet, but I know it is only a matter of time before I become bored and will start wanting to go back to my old ways. If you have some recipes, I would love to hear them. I will post a few for now that are my favorite.

Replies

• Shoebacha1
    Options
    Tuna wrap

Ole Spinach and herb flax seed olive oil tortilla, 1 cup young spring mix, 1 tablespoon EVOO lemon herb salad dressing, .25 cup shredded cheese, 1 pouch lemon pepper tuna by sunkist.

Place 1/2 of spring mix in tortilla, add cheese and tuna, then rest of spring mix. Add salad dressing and wrap tightly. Enjoy!

Again, I enjoy guacamole on this.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Salmon Salad

2 cups young spring mix, .5 cup shredded cheese, 1 pouch smoked salmon, 1 packet of Papa John's special seasoning, 1 packet of Papa John's parm cheese, .5 can of dark red kidney beans, and 2 table spoons of greek salad dressing.

Place all in covered bowl, shake and coat well...enjoy!
  • jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these recipes! I also have PCOS and have troubles with my weight. It is so darn hard to lose it and even harder keeping it off. I was reading on another website that taking chromium daily helps people who are insulin resistant. I think im going to give a try. This is not what a doctor told me, but what I read on some diet website, so i guess i will see what happens.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had burger and fries with a salad.
    lean ground lamb seasoned with out salt 4oz.
    rutabaga fries. Remove outer layer. slice so they look like french fries (size and shape). toss lightly in olive oil. season to taste (salt, pepper, old bay)
    bake 40 mins at 450*

Although my weight hasn't been dropping that fast, I have brought my HBA1C from a 6.4 to a 5.6 over 2 years.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I have never heard of rutabaga? I will have to look into that!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Congrats on getting pregnant! Thanks for the info. I will look into this.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Before I read about it in the PCOS for Dummies book, I always thought it was just a problem with me....but knowing that PCOS is what is causing this urge to binge eat on occasion helps me ignore and control it. Now instead of feeling like I have piss poor self control and am a self-sabatager, I understand the urge is actually chemically induced. Lets me feel I am in control of myself again, and helps me know the hunger pains are not really me being hungry, but my out of whack system telling me lies. I will continue to eat as normal and increase my water intake, and give the finger to these lies from my tummy.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    Before I read about it in the PCOS for Dummies book, I always thought it was just a problem with me....but knowing that PCOS is what is causing this urge to binge eat on occasion helps me ignore and control it. Now instead of feeling like I have piss poor self control and am a self-sabatager, I understand the urge is actually chemically induced. Lets me feel I am in control of myself again, and helps me know the hunger pains are not really me being hungry, but my out of whack system telling me lies. I will continue to eat as normal and increase my water intake, and give the finger to these lies from my tummy.

I had no idea that PCOS made us more likely to binge. I would probably be in a normal weight range if I could control my binges and self sabotage moments. :# I might have to look into that book!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I gave into the binge urge a bit last night. On top of the internal struggle, my lovely coworkers added a long stressful and stupidity filled night so went through a drive through. Being a quality assurance manager in a prison can make stress eating a challenge. But, I did just get the burger and only ate 11 of the husband's fries and 2 drinks of his soda. Overall, I can be proud it was my first time in 2 weeks to go over my calorie allowance and only ate 1/4 of what I WANTED to eat.
  • draco706
    Options
    There are less bad drive through options at a lot of the chains. I have my favs (mcdonalds mighty kids mcnuggets with apples and choc milk) is under 500 cals even with 2 katchups. If you know you are going to indulge having a go to is nice. the nuggets also reduces my carb v. a burger.
    Rutabags are actually good. they will taste like a sweeter french fry.
    xu208h2xvl07.jpg
  • draco706
    Options
    ps yep those are rutabaga fries.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Havent had much time to cook, but I have taken up a habit of getting microwavable fish and bags of steamed veggies. Today will be lemon pepper cod grilled fillet with steamed ranch seasoned broccoli. Yesterday was hickory smoked tuna with steamed greenbeans, carrots and red potatoes in a rosemary butter sauce. Not too shabby!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Are all carbohydrates the same?

No. Even if you eat two foods that have the same amount of carbohydrate, they may have a different effect on your insulin level. This effect has a lot to do with the type of carbohydrate the food has. Carbohydrate foods with fiber such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are usually the best to eat if you’re trying to keep your insulin level down. Carbohydrate foods that are sugary or refined (such as soda, juice, white bread, and white rice) can cause insulin levels to go up. Foods and drinks like this are also not very filling (which means you may feel hungry shortly after eating them). Try to choose high–fiber, low–sugar carbohydrate foods most of the time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    I am down 9 pounds! Must be doing something right. :) Actually starting to enjoy this new way of eating.

I have to do it 10 days a month and it's torture LOL.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I have a new found love of steamed asparagus. Also, my new found love of guacamole is getting out of hand. LOL