Options

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/09/02/4077371.htm

This. Calories in/calories out
    The diet doctor is NOT a qualified dietician. It's a mass money producing site which offers a "quick fix" rather than sustainable, life-long habits and realistic expectations.

This is useless. The site is free unless you choose to join. Everything you need is free. It's not a quick fix. It's a lifelong change. Which restricting your calories is not. The young people on here advocating weighing your food and counting your calories, which I did many times, let's chat again in 30 years when you're old and fat. ha ha

https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-andreas-eenfeldt

OP - I hope you find something that works and is enjoyable. Good Luck!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    4. How are you measuring your food intake? Food scale? Measuring cups? Estimating?

^ Most important question of all right there.

I would argue that while this is super important i'm getting a feeling that OP is severely overestimating her calories burned through activity.

Would that really matter that much? She is burning more than she is eating just by being alive with no activity.She is only eating 1300 calories, she should definitely be losing weight.
    I think it is more like eating more than she thinks. Not weighing and or measuring her food accurately.

Well, obviously not or she'd be losing weight.

My point is that:

1.) she is overestimating how active she is and how many calories she takes to maintain her weight
    2.) I think it's pretty obvious she is eating more than she thinks

Finding the right calorie goal based on her correct TDEE and then actually eating that number of calories is going to be imperative in her success.

I think it's super important to mention because a lot of people who consider themselves athletes or who exercise a lot experience something called "lash back" hunger where they overeat total calories to compensate for calories burned during exercise. This is especially the case for individuals who perform high-intensity cardio-respiratory exercise and part of the reason I personally don't do well with cardio. My hunger ramps up leaps and bounds beyond the number of calories i've actually burned with activity.

Nothing is obvious until it is.

She could have developed a medical condition that she is unaware of
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Ignore the people that tell you to do what you're doing and not having success. Don't weigh your food and count your calories. Eat until you are full and satisfied.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Good Luck!

She's an athlete. She's an athlete participating in a sport that needs quick bursts of movement. The ketogenic diet would be very bad for her performance. Don't throw around the ketogenic diet as a solution for everyone regardless of their needs just because it worked for you.

This is phony too. There are many world class athletes that follow this and do BETTER than they did on high protein or high carb. No, it's not for everyone. But this reason is bogus.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    4. How are you measuring your food intake? Food scale? Measuring cups? Estimating?

I would argue that while this is super important i'm getting a feeling that OP is severely overestimating her calories burned through activity.

Would that really matter that much? She is burning more than she is eating just by being alive with no activity.She is only eating 1300 calories, she should definitely be losing weight.
    I think it is more like eating more than she thinks. Not weighing and or measuring her food accurately.

Well, obviously not or she'd be losing weight.

My point is that:

1.) she is overestimating how active she is and how many calories she takes to maintain her weight
    2.) I think it's pretty obvious she is eating more than she thinks

Finding the right calorie goal based on her correct TDEE and then actually eating that number of calories is going to be imperative in her success.

I think it's super important to mention because a lot of people who consider themselves athletes or who exercise a lot experience something called "lash back" hunger where they overeat total calories to compensate for calories burned during exercise. This is especially the case for individuals who perform high-intensity cardio-respiratory exercise and part of the reason I personally don't do well with cardio. My hunger ramps up leaps and bounds beyond the number of calories i've actually burned with activity.

Nothing is obvious until it is.

She could have developed a medical condition that she is unaware of

CICO doesn't just stop working. As someone who has had a plethora of medical conditions known to affect weight; this is just a strawman.

If she were eating less calories than she was burning... she'd be losing weight. That's how biology works.

Unless she has a condition that is undiagnosed, which no one can determine on an internet forum. In which case she should be consulting with a medical professional.

• grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Story of my life!
    It isn't possible to burn 2000 and consume 1300 for several days and not lose weight. But it is possible to eat more than you realize and burn less than you think.

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP you do seem a little vague about how much you are actually eating. You need a deficit every day for weeks on end to see some real changes on the scales.

If you are not overweight, weight loss can be quite slow. But you will get there in the end as long as you are very careful that you are not eating more calories as you are burning off. In fact, you need quite a large deficit every day.

It really is as simple as that.

My weight loss has been slow over the past month. I started getting frustrated and blaming my hypothyroidism for it ... but to be honest, I have been cheating a bit with little snacks here and there - it all adds up. For instance, I was not logging my sugar-free lollipos. A couple a day? No big deal right? Actually, that was an extra 50 calories I had been regularly eating!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Off with the derail and back to the topic: If you are sure your intake and expenditure numbers are reasonably accurate, how long have you been trying to lose weight? It doesn't look like you have much to lose, slow loss paired with being an athlete with the cortisol fluctuations and muscle recovery, it could easily be masked by water retention. You may simply need to wait it out for a bit longer.
  • pennys_plagiarized_passions
    Options
    A couple of questions that will help us provide you with some answers and/or clarity:

1. What are your stats?
    2. How much weight are you trying to lose?
    3. How long have you been eating at a deficit?
    3. How many lbs/week did you tell MFP you wanted to lose when you went through the app's guided setup?
    5. What's the daily calorie goal MFP provided for you?

150lbs at 5'7"
    Trying to get down to 125lbs
    I only started counting my calories a few weeks ago, but I was eating at a deficit on and off before that.
    I'm aiming to lose 1lb a week. So far it seems to find of be working. I measure some of it with cups, but more than anything I eyeball it (which I am pretty accurate with, from baking). I round up when in doubt.
    MFP is set to 1,550 calories per day, but I will often burn over 1,000 calories so it does go up quite a bit.
    Options
    Can you open your diary? That will allow people to give you more specific advice.

I just set it to public. I didn't know that I could do that, so thank you.
    Options
    Also how are you measuring your burns do you have a HRM?

"I will tell you though, my rest days, the days where I don't work out as much, are the days that are the hardest for me to count my calories. I am hungry and irritable."

I'd start trying to accurately measure your cal intake here you may be eating your deficit back. Once you log your cals accurately every day with scales you can start looking at more obscure culprits like medical conditions with your doctor but I'd try to log accurately for a few weeks first to rule out CICO being an issue.

Thank you, but I am often 800+ calories underneath what was recommended so I am relatively certain that that is not the problem.
    I may need to talk to a doctor.
    Options
    It isn't possible to burn 2000 and consume 1300 for several days and not lose weight. But it is possible to eat more than you realize and burn less than you think.

That is what I would have thought too, but it really has happened multiple times.
    I had no appetite and wouldn't even be able to finish an apple or a bowl of cheerios, but I would run four miles and do over 3hrs of martial arts.
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Ignore the people that tell you to do what you're doing and not having success. Don't weigh your food and count your calories. Eat until you are full and satisfied.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Good Luck!

Thank you. I agree with most of the tips there but not eating fruit sounds a little odd. O.o fruit provides so much energy and healing for my muscle. I would call someone crazy for telling me to cut it out of my diet!
    I need my smoothies lol.
    Options

I'm going to be very hard headed here and say that you are both wrong.
    And to clarify, the 1,300 calorie a day thing is not recent... I had lost my appetite and was struggling to eat for a while.
    I just felt this was the most dramatic example of my problem.

No, I do not understand how I did not lose any weight during that time. If you run four miles and weigh 160lbs (which back then I did) then you will burn a lot of calories... it is inevitable.
    Also, try telling the people I spent my days fighting that I wasn't actually fighting them... try saying that that wasn't my sweat creating pools on the floor...

I understand that this is weird and abnormal, which is why I made a post here.
    I did not drink any liquids other than water (granted, I would drink over a gallon a day.. and yes I did measure it, drank straight from the 99cent gallons I got at heb and walmart).
    I could not finish a bowl of cereal, a cup of yogurt, a banana, anything... once I had time to sit down and eat, I was only able to finish a few bites.
    I don't know how I remained standing.
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »
    From an athlete to another. Do you "taper" in your sport before a competition? Have you ever noticed how you'd actually lose some weight during a taper? That assuming you do tapers, us in triathlon do.
    It's cortisol usually anyway, the long hours training raise it, then leptin goes down and you know the effect is that...you're eating nothing but still you aren't losing. The only fix I have found was reducing the training load, to be honest it was the best deal ever even if I wasn't convinced about it at all but my coach pushed it and I tought to give him the benefit of doubt.
    Reducing hours of training (essentially we made a harder single daily session rather than two hald hearted ones) has had me shed 7kg (which coupled up with a 3kg lighter bike makes for way better climbs!) and I have had time to devore to stretching and foam rolling. As for performance, it went up esponentially so I would definitely recommend it but then it depends on what you can and cannot do in your sport/what your coach would do/etc...

Yes I was actually considering doing this!
    I have been accused of overt raining multiple times.