Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Grilled romaine hearts.. YUM!
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I prefer to put a little bit of avocado on mine.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    One pat of butter won't kill your calories and slows absorption of the starch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut on a potato is tasty and low calorie and moist. I would usually add some pepper too.
    Low calorie salad dressing is another option.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like salsa and sour cream (60 cals per serving, full-fat)

Spicy black beans (heated with a little oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic, and onion) or bean chili. This is going to add some calories, but I often tend to eat this as my whole meal. When I do that, I usually add a little salsa, shredded cheese, and avocado.

Marinara sauce (or pizza sauce) and Parmesan cheese. You could leave off the cheese.

Salt and pepper, always

Muddle fresh herbs (parsley, chives, and basil is a good combo) together with fresh garlic, salt, and a teaspoon of olive oil into a paste and spread - around 45 calories, depending on how much you use

Pesto (still a fair amount of calories and fat, but less saturated fat)

Laughing cow cheese wedge

You could also roast potato cubes with your favorite seasoning blend instead of bake - I find the texture to be a little creamier than baking whole potaoes. Will still probably need a little oil for cooking.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Light sour cream, or light laughing cow cheese are my two go-to toppings.

I was just going to suggest a Laughing cow cheese wedge.

Or some cottage cheese. I often make a meal out of cottage cheese and a baked potato with a side of broccoli.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRQtclG4IxBAOX8IS6CHQi_ntE2oa7YZGdB1GIkWoMTuSzzJsShA
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like to put high-protein vegetarian chili and a 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

YES.

It's getting cold again after a midweek warm-up. It's been far too long since I made lentil chili. I might have to make it and do this.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    When I started MFP, I always ate them dry.
    Got used to it.
    Now, on maintenance when I could afford the extra calories, I STILL eat them dry.
    Can taste the potato, not all the additives.
    I eat the skin, too.

This. I just pick it up, and eat it as I would an apple.

yep, me too, I do sometimes have tuna with a bit of mayo on it but not often
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Full-fat sour cream.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Mmmm, I made black bean chili last night, maybe this should be lunch today. :)
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, but I still use butter.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What can I use for baked potatoes in the place of butter or margarine so they're not dry inside?

My favorite way to have it is with lite sour cream and Brummel & Brown ("butter" spread made from yogurt - 45 calories per serving) + salt & pepper. Yum.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Baked yams or sweet potatoes are naturally more moist than regular potatoes and have more vitamins/nutrients. I'll usually just grind some rainbow pepper on a baked sweet potato and it makes a lovely lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Baked yams or sweet potatoes are naturally more moist than regular potatoes and have more vitamins/nutrients.

Moistness depends on preparation, they seem about the same to me (I like both just roasted with a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, mostly). The nutrients they have are different, but about equal. Depends on what you specifically need, but I think both are good, variety is good, so both are worth eating.

In the US they are almost certainly sweet potatoes, not yams, in reality.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Baked yams or sweet potatoes are naturally more moist than regular potatoes and have more vitamins/nutrients. I'll usually just grind some rainbow pepper on a baked sweet potato and it makes a lovely lunch.

i will just say it's awesome to see someone else who eats sweet potatoes with some pepper or a more "savoury" preperation like i do. The ladies in my old office used to cringe when i ate them with butter, salt and pepper and question why i'm not eating it with brown sugar, marshmallows / fluff, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

i will just say it's awesome to see someone else who eats sweet potatoes with some pepper or a more "savoury" preperation like i do. The ladies in my old office used to cringe when i ate them with butter, salt and pepper and question why i'm not eating it with brown sugar, marshmallows / fluff, etc.

I don't mind sweeter stuff on sweet potatoes, but I *love* savory stuff on them. Chili is one of my favorites, it goes really well with the richness of the sweet potato. I will also sometimes stuff them with Indian-spiced chickpeas.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have Low fat Philadelphia any flavour (sweet chilli is fav).