Running Question

Options
So, I'm training for a 5K that's happening on April 1st. I run on the treadmill 3x a week for 32 minutes which is 2.60 miles for me. I NEVER run outside. In January I signed up for a 5K run/walk that was scheduled for today ( February 25). I figured since I be killing it with no issues on the treadmill for 32 minutes I could do the same outside. I WAS WRONG. I noticed the difference almost immediately after taking off. The pavement kicked my butt. I could only run for 17 minutes straight before tiring out. I felt kind of let down. Should I start running outside more and how often?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I would get the Couch to 5K app and use that for your outdoor runs. You might be able to skip ahead a couple weeks, but check it out. That will give you a good program to follow :)

If possible, do all your runs outside. Obviously there are things to consider with that - you want to be safe, so running on a treadmill on weekdays may be better if you have to run when it's dark.

~Lyssa
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You should set the incline on the treadmill to "1" or higher. Also, treadmills are usually off when it comes to pace.

Training on a treadmill is perfectly acceptable way to train for running outside. I don't like the c25k program, as I believe you should work up to running everyday with one rest day a week and add duration from there. Runs should be at conversation pace or more than likely "running like your grandpa" pace.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like treadmill running for pacing and pushing myself to train faster. I like outdoor running for scenery and something different.

Typically, my treadmill pace is faster than my outdoor pace. So when you head outside slow your pace a bit and you should be able to finish without tiring out.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I usually run at 1.5 or 2.5.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is nothing like running on the street. The treadmill is doing some of the work for you. If you are training for a race, you need to be running on the street.

One summer I thought I would avoid the heat and the need to get up super early by joining a gym and training on their treadmill. But at the end of the summer, when I finally started running on pavement again, I had to start over from scratch. It's just not the same.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If you where training for a 5k treadmill race then a treadmill is fine. If you are training for an outside race then train outside.

If you really want to train hard, try trail running on hilly trails. If you could run 5k on hilly trails, a 5k road race will feel like an appetizer...:)
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do 85% of my "cardio" training inside. I don't seem to have any problems translating it to running outside. Most definitely, I didn't feel like I was "starting from scratch" when I ran over 12 miles and 2000' of vert all on trail today. Get the proper training program, and there are no issues training on a treadmill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »
    Should I start running outside more and how often?

Yes, personally I'd suggest doing all your training outside, but at least once per week.

There is a significant technique difference between the treadmill and the real that you'll need to adapt to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run outside as often as you can.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I too am a novice. I've tried the indoor machines. Not only do I get bored staring at a wall or a television but I find I don't get nearly as intense of a workout as I do outdoors. If possible make sure you work hills into your route and push the hardest on them.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Running on a treadmill is nothing like running on the street. The treadmill is doing some of the work for you. If you are training for a race, you need to be running on the street.

One summer I thought I would avoid the heat and the need to get up super early by joining a gym and training on their treadmill. But at the end of the summer, when I finally started running on pavement again, I had to start over from scratch. It's just not the same.

^^ This. With a treadmill, you're working to keep up with the belt, which is not the same thing as propelling your own body forward with your own legs. Also, unless you're using a running watch that is synced to some kind of measuring device on your shoe, you really don't know how fast or far you are running. Treadmills are not calibrated for speed / distance, so I wouldn't pay any attention to those numbers. (The other day a women on MFP celebrated running a half marathon in about an hour on an elliptical. Ummmm, no way.)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I know people who train for marathons on the TM, but for most of us, it really helps to spend some time outdoors in real world conditions. Hills, wind, temperature, distractions, allergens, etc. are different outside. Depending on the weather where you live, I would aim for at least half your runs outdoors. At a minimum, do your longest runs outdoors. If you are regularly running non-stop for 32 minutes, start increasing the time on one of your runs. Adding 5 minutes a week will get you to 4 or 5 by the time of your race, which will make running hard for 3.2 feel easier than it is now. When you do run on the TM, increase the incline. It doesn't have to stay at any one number, but run 1/4 mile or more at 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 in whatever order you choose to imitate real life. I do most of my TM runs at 1 or higher since I live in a hilly area where there is rarely any flat road to run. If your races are usually flat, then just do most of the TM runs at 1 or 1.5.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Options
    Thanks guys. I run on incline at 1.5 or 2.5. My mph is currently 4.9 but I will be increasing it to 5.1 on tomorrow.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You also need to note that running on a treadmill doesn't have the same impact on your feet and joints that road running does. it's quite a shock to the system when the road doesn't 'soften' the impact and you're literally pounding the pavement'.
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for 6 years or so (I started when I was 215 lbs and could barely huff and puff for 30 seconds before I had to walk) -- I do a lot of treadmill running in the winter since I live in a cold climate and running in cold air exacerbates my asthma. It's not a 100% match and the pacing is slightly different for me, but I'm never starting from scratch. I got back into running this fall/winter after a brief hiatus, and did all treadmill training in building up my endurance (three 3-4 mile runs during the week, 4-7 miles on either Sat or Sundays), and got outside 2 weeks ago for my first long run. 8 miles wasn't easy and I wasn't as fast as I was on the treadmill, but my goal wasn't speed -- all I had to do was keep running, and I did. There's no way I could have done that if my treadmill training hadn't helped a lot. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    You also need to note that running on a treadmill doesn't have the same impact on your feet and joints that road running does. it's quite a shock to the system when the road doesn't 'soften' the impact and you're literally pounding the pavement'.

If one is running with adequate form then the surface doesn't matter. Treadmills don't inherently absorb shock loading.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

If one is running with adequate form then the surface doesn't matter. Treadmills don't inherently absorb shock loading.

According to this article in the Houston Chronicle (http://livehealthy.chron.com/treadmill-shock-absorbent-8169.html):

"The ground reaction forces on a treadmill are significantly lower than on hard surfaces, according to the 2008 study 'A Kinematics and Kinetic Comparison of Overground and Treadmill Running,' published in 'Medicine and Science in Sports and Medicine.' Hard surfaces such as concrete and asphalt create jarring impacts on your joints with each step. Over time, this can lead to joint injury or pain. The treadmill provides a softer surface, cushioning each step to reduce joint impact."
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »

According to this article in the Houston Chronicle (http://livehealthy.chron.com/treadmill-shock-absorbent-8169.html):

"The ground reaction forces on a treadmill are significantly lower than on hard surfaces, according to the 2008 study 'A Kinematics and Kinetic Comparison of Overground and Treadmill Running,' published in 'Medicine and Science in Sports and Medicine.' Hard surfaces such as concrete and asphalt create jarring impacts on your joints with each step. Over time, this can lead to joint injury or pain. The treadmill provides a softer surface, cushioning each step to reduce joint impact."

I LOVE THAT THIS STORY IS FROM THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE. Proud Houstonian right here.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »

Go to the source, not an opinion piece. The article significantly overstates the value.

You'll identify that significant contributors to impact loading are shoe design, and running form. In comparison the benefits of treadmill cf really world are negligible.