Is it really possible to only eat 1200cal per day?

Options
:huh: Hello, I am new. Due to couple weeks over eating, I think that I really should do something. And find this website when I downloaded the myfitnesspal app. Anyway, according the calculator here, I should only eat no more than 1200cal per day which is way less than what I usually eat ( before I thought everybody can eat "2000-2500cal" per day from the food label on most product). Yesterday, my first day, I was able to eat less than 1200cal. (I was shocked :noway: when I enter my food and see how much calories it has) But today, I feel so hungry:embarassed: . And I have already ate more than 1200cal (haven't had dinner yet). But I feel like there is no way to eat only 1200cal perday. How you guys made it? I saw someone posted that he cannot hit 1500cal perday. I was like, am I really a pig? I can easily eat 1500cal perday.

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    It is. I do it all the time. Just takes will power and determination. Eventually you get used to it and you won't miss pigging out.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree, I'm supposed to eat 1790 and alot of days I just make it over 1200. You're stomach shrinks and you will eat less if you stick with it long enough. Like Saruman said, you'll get used to it.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    work out hard so you can eat back your workout calories!
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    Not for me! I feel like 1400 is more doable. At 1200 I feel tired, moody, and have a constant hunger headache. Nay thank you!
  • loriescott7
    Options
    Hi, you have to find filling foods, I started having smoothies everyday, some water, i drink soy milk and fruit, some fresh if i have it or frozen. It is a good source of fruits, fiber and liquid. It gives you a boost and makes you feel good, what I do when I feel hungry is find a small job that counts as exercise. It is simply eating slowly and often, in small amounts.
  • jackclaire
    Options
    I'm sure plenty of people are able to stick to 1200 calories per day, but that amount is really tough for me. Exercising is a great way to earn extra calories though! For me, if I eat about half of the extra calories I earn through exercise, I still lose weight and feel satisfied instead of hungry all the time.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It was hard at first but your body will adjust to the amount of calorie intake that is specifically for you. Whether its 1200, more or less. I think it took about 2 weeks to get use to it but I have both good and bad days. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • aubry87
    aubry87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible. You need to eat fruits and veggies though. If it won't rot don't eat it. Its very easy to go over 2000 Calories if your eatting processed foods.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Some people work out in order to eat more…if you log your exercise the site will add in more calories to your daily amount.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Some days for me are easier than others. Yesterday was easy to stay within my calories. Today, otoh, is terrible. I've been hungry all evening. Like raid the cabinets and eat my cats hungry. Well, maybe not quite THAT hungry, but you get my point.

Saruman_w is right though. You'll get used to it, and it won't seem so bad.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Some days are supper hard for me while others are better. I'm still learning, but I think they key is to find foods that are filling and not so caloric. You should look at people's diaries to get ideas on what to eat.
    I try to eat a light breakfast, a little heavier lunch, and salad/fruit or something light for dinner. Eating lots of fruits and veggies definetely helps out. Not sure if you like yogurt, but I love greek yogurt and it keeps me full.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    More vegetables. I have a hard time getting to 1200 (I'm supposed to be at 1300). You can also "buy" calories by exercising.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's easy to do once you find lots of low calorie foods. I've had days where I totally pig out, eat lots of filling little meals and have trouble reaching my 1200. It's just a matter of choosing the right foods, otherwise you can reach 1200 in one sitting.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Work out and burn some calories so you can eat more!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you've got to choose food that fill you up (high in fiber, protein) but aren't calorie heavy. I do it everyday and I never feel hungry =) google "low fat recipes" how do you feel about oatmeal?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It's possible, I have a 1200 cal daily intake. Since you're new, I'll tell you that your first week is gonna suck. But drink alot of water and you'll learn to find foods that make you feel full within that limit! When I started, I had no idea I was eating 1200 calories...for LUNCH. My diary is public if you want to take a look! Or add me too!
  • andreaashell
    andreaashell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1200 is net calories.. if you are exercising, you get to eat more =o) Make sure, also, that you have your activity level set right. If you are really starving, eat. Listen to your body, but make sure that you aren't just eating because you miss food. Also, be sure that you are getting enough water every day. Sometimes lack of water can make you feel hungry instead of thirsty.
  • Jlittrell
    Jlittrell Posts: 4
    Options
    Mine says to eat 1500 calories a day. One thing that makes it easier is to add exercise to your schedule. Even just walking. When you do that, you earn those calories in eating. So, tonight I am going to kickboxing, and that adds 645 calories to what I could eat because I burn that much when I exercise.
    Good luck!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, you can eat your exercise calories! Yay! Also, on your settings, you can adjust your activity level. Tweak things so you feel right. Your body is telling you it is not enough.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    The other trick is the TYPE of food you eat - an entire bag of frozen veggies which is tough for me to get through in one sitting - is ONLY like 300 calories right? an entire 2lb bag of salad greens? less than 100...
    The choices made will make it so you can stay full

chicken, tilapia, cod, other fish, etc... great protein choices protein keeps you full and those choices are low in fat and calories... Frozen veggies over canned (or at least go low sodium)
    I Live on Carrot sticks as a snack lol