Tips for getting motivated in the AM

Hello, so a little about my situation. I currently am pretty much a stay at home mom. I only work on weekends right now so I can focus on college. So, I put my 2 oldest on the bus at 7:40am, and then I am home with my 2.5 year old all day. She usually sleeps until about 10 and I would love to use that time to do a small workout at home, but instead , no matter how much I say that tomorrow I will do it, I always go back to bed. And then, I wake up feeling 10 times more tired than before I went back to bed and then feel so tired the rest of the day. Does anyone have any motivational tips or advice on how to get myself motivated enough to workout at least a little bit instead of going back to bed? I even bought a bunch of home workout stuff and haven't used any of it yet

Replies

• alavocat92
    alavocat92 Posts: 14 Member
    It's hard to get to bed earlier because I have classes at night, that usually don't get me home until 10pm or later. My daughter has always been a great sleeper. She takes 1 nap a day and has always slept in late
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    I don't know if you do this already, but you may try fixing your bed as soon as you get up in the morning, so it's not quite as inviting when you get back from the bus stop.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    You just have to make yourself not go back to bed. Making new routines is hard, but once you get in the swing and it becomes a habit it's much easier.

Goikg to bed a bit earlier and plenty of coffee works for me in the morning. Music to get me moving helps as well.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Coffee helps for me lol.

But holy crap you're lucky to have a 2 year old who sleeps until 10!!! Mine is up before 6 most days!!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Putting on the workout clothes works for me. Sports bra, everything, first thing. I have my hair ties and some sunscreen sitting on the kitchen table where I'll drink my coffee, my running shoes I leave out by the door. I also love the quiet time I get if I am up earlier and can please myself, not much better use for it than doing something for myself that I won't be able to do later.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    multiple alarms. i get up at 330ish to leave the house by 4am and at the gym at 4:15am

it sucks. Like donkey show sucking. but i got used to it by setting multiple alarms (ipad in my bed(3:30am), i twitter at night dont judge) and my iphone(3:35) is across the room.

after a while you get used to it and now my body usually wakes up at 3:25 so i play the waiting game with the ipad.
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    I just started doing this this morning! Happy to add you as a friend and check in every day to see if you worked out! The accountability definitely helps. Also, download a free workout app! There's one called the 7 minute workout challenge. Gives you 12 different exercises to do for 30 seconds with 10 seconds in between. You can choose how many sets you want to do. But even if you only do one (you can spare an extra 7 min before crawling into bed right?) that's more than you did before! Eventually you can work your way up to more sets!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Make sure your nutrition is on point. Sometimes fatigue is a result of a lack in nutrition. Are you eating breakfast before you put the little one on the bus? If so, what?
  • jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    If you like your morning routine the way it is, then keep it and work in fitness another time of day.
    If you don't like it the way it is, commit to changing it and then do it.
    Small changes sometimes make a big difference. Try not going back to bed and going for aworkout instead two days a week to see how you like it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Get dressed right away. Make your bed right away. It is harder to go back to bed.
    Plan a specific activity for that time. If you want to exercise then know what you are going to do and for how long.
    Put on some music or a podcast. Move around. Walk around your house briskly.
    Maybe it isn't the right time in your day to exercise. Maybe it is the right time to meditate, get a chore done without interruptions, or read a book instead.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Alarms - loud and away from your bed.

This is a mindset that you need to change. Being a military brat and veteran I have this ingrained in my DNA and cannot sleep in anymore. Do silly stuff - whatever it takes to wake up your brain and get you going.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/no-excuses-accountability-workouts/

An article about exercise accountability. I especially like the Pact app (although, it works with phone accelerometer for walking or GPS at the gym, so if you're working out at home, you'll need a different option.) You commit to working out a specific number of days and put money on it. The consequence of not working out is losing money, which nobody likes to lose.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    I hear ya-- can't say I always practice what I preach. But, the single most helpful thing for me is to not ask myself the question-- "Do I feel like exercising?" -- there will be many reasons which sound perfectly reasonable why I don't feel like it:) Try to make it a habit. And try to relish the good feelings you have after you do your exercising.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2017
    alavocat92 wrote: »
    Hello, so a little about my situation. I currently am pretty much a stay at home mom. I only work on weekends right now so I can focus on college. So, I put my 2 oldest on the bus at 7:40am, and then I am home with my 2.5 year old all day. She usually sleeps until about 10 and I would love to use that time to do a small workout at home, but instead , no matter how much I say that tomorrow I will do it, I always go back to bed. And then, I wake up feeling 10 times more tired than before I went back to bed and then feel so tired the rest of the day. Does anyone have any motivational tips or advice on how to get myself motivated enough to workout at least a little bit instead of going back to bed? I even bought a bunch of home workout stuff and haven't used any of it yet
    alavocat92 wrote: »
    It's hard to get to bed earlier because I have classes at night, that usually don't get me home until 10pm or later. My daughter has always been a great sleeper. She takes 1 nap a day and has always slept in late

You've mentioned getting home at 10 PM or later...what time are you getting to sleep? What time do you get up? Perhaps focus on getting to sleep as early as your schedule permits so that you are less tired in the AM.

That's assuming your fatigue is due to lack of sleep. It could also be due to not eating enough, or having a deficiency in iron, vitamin D, etc.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I drink a pre-workout with beta alanine. Most of them have it. It makes your skin tingle after about 30 minutes unless you start working out. For me at first it was a huge reminder that it's time to get up and get my sweat on, not to mention it helped give me more energy than coffee alone. I knew that once I drank it I was committed.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Get dressed right away. Make your bed right away. It is harder to go back to bed.

This ^^ I have my workout clothes set by the side of my bed so as soon as I get up I get dressed. You can also workout with your 2.5 year old. I did silly dancing to elmo videos
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited February 2017
    I love all these suggestions, especially putting the baby in the stroller to go for a walk.

I would find some way to leave the house since that's where you go back to bed. If it is too cold to walk outside, go to a mall and walk around (just don't buy snacks).

Oaky, here's mine. If you plan to go back home, write yourself some notes ahead of time and leave one on the bed. They could be inspirational sayings or a photo you take of yourself showing why you need to lose weight -- print them on a large sheet of paper. Like "NO going back to bed. Get some movement in!" or whatever you want to write.