Bob Harper from Biggest Loser suffers heart attack

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Crazy isn't it - you'd think he'd be super healthy but then has the same issues as someone not at all healthy.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    wow how sad. i'm glad he had a doctor working out in the fitness center that sure helped him
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    You can be the picture of health (be vegetarian, no alcohol/cigarettes/drugs, exercise daily), but you can't do anything about genetics.

True, Look at Jim Fixx, the man who is credited with starting the fitness, and especially running, revolution in the '70's. He died of a heart attack at age 52 while jogging. His father died of a heart attack at an earlier age.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    You can be the picture of health (be vegetarian, no alcohol/cigarettes/drugs, exercise daily), but you can't do anything about genetics.

True, Look at Jim Fixx, the man who is credited with starting the fitness, and especially running, revolution in the '70's. He died of a heart attack at age 52 while jogging. His father died of a heart attack at an earlier age.

Yes!

This made me think of him too (my brothers were runners in high school).
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Though in fairness there are a couple of previous contestants who has serious health issues directly caused by biggest loser.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Though in fairness there are a couple of previous contestants who has serious health issues directly caused by biggest loser.

He was a trainer not a contestant
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I keep misreading the title and then wondering about Ben Harper.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, genetics rules. That's why I never worry much about how I eat versus how much I eat due to the fact that hardly anyone in my family has died of heart attack. It's either been from old age or dementia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do wonder if his being so fit meant the heart problems were delayed a bit?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Considering all the medical tests they used to put the contestants through, I wonder if the trainers went through the same?

If there's a family history of heart disease or condition one would think he'd have gone through some diagnostic tests previously. Perhaps he already knew he was predisposed and was doing everything he could to counteract the possibility. (He was working out at the time.)

Wishing him a speedy recovery!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My Dad had a heart attack at 60, apparently it was genetic his Dad had 2 in a year at age of 50 (but Dad was overseas at the time traveling and didnt find out as his dad was recovered by the time my parents returned home) . Dr said the fact Dad was fit and didn't smoke would have contributed to him having one later.
  • Zendrick
    Zendrick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I preform heart catherizations for a living and heart disease affects all types, from super healthy, to young. Then I've witness 90 year old patients with coronary of a child. The heart is amazing.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    O poor Bob, hope he'll be okay.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    He got quite buff for a while. I can't help but wonder if the process of bulking up was a contributor. Not to suggest that it's an unhealthy activity for the population in general, just for someone trying to fight their genetics. I take an interest because my husband (far left in my avatar, I'm in the middle) has to fight his.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the cardiology unit of a hospital and the doctors would get all these people in with heart conditions saying "but I eat healthy and exercise everyday - what did I do wrong?!" And the doctor would say "you chose the wrong parents ". (Sorry dark humour )
    That being said, they also had lots of people there due to unhealthy lifestyles so it sure doesn't help . But if you have a genetic disposition, it's hard to outrun that.