what is banking calories

Options
Do I get the calories I'm below on certain days to use other days? I was below every day but 2 each day last week and if I add it up, I was 707 below my calorie goal for the week. Which was 8400.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I focus on weekly goals rather than daily totals. I regularly "bank" anywhere from 300 - 1000 calories in a typical work week that I then "spend" on weekends.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, banking calories is exactly that. Eating less on some days so you can eat more on others while still maintaining a deficit over time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, banking calories is exactly that. Eating less on some days so you can eat more on others while still maintaining a deficit over time.

This. So say you have a goal of 1800. You eat 1500 on weekdays, and bank extra for weekends so you get 2550 on weekends. You still average your 1800 goal.
  • KlueBat
    KlueBat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Silly question: How do you view your weekly goals in MFP? Or do you figure it out manually?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    KlueBat wrote: »
    Silly question: How do you view your weekly goals in MFP? Or do you figure it out manually?

I don't think you can from the website but you can from the app. Click the bars on the upper left corner, select Nutrition, the calories tab, "Week View". If you select "Change Date" under week view and set the date to the next Saturday you'll get your average for the Sun-Sat week, otherwise it'll do the past 7 days as week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I don't think you can from the website but you can from the app. Click the bars on the upper left corner, select Nutrition, the calories tab, "Week View". If you select "Change Date" under week view and set the date to the next Saturday you'll get your average for the Sun-Sat week, otherwise it'll do the past 7 days as week.

Yes, it is available on the website - I just went searching and found it.

From the Home page, select Reports. Then, select Weekly Digest.

It'll give you your weekly Calorie goal and the Calories you've consumed. You'll have to subtract one from the other, but that shouldn't be any big deal. On mine, it is currently giving 2/20-2/26 as the dates. I'm not sure if it will always give Mon-Sun, or if that's just because that's the last 7 days. When I went to look at past reports, it gave me 2/13-2/19, so still Mon-Sun.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

On the website you can use 'REPORTS', then select 'Calories' and 'Last 7 Days'. It doesn't give you a total but you can eyeball how much you have been bankrolling or not for the week.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One watchout... at least this is important for me. I have read in a few articles it is important for women to eat at least between 1000-1200 calories per day to avoid "starvation mode". My daily goal is currently 1400, and most days I don't quite make that. However, I have figured out that I have to at least eat between 1150ish and 1250ish calories per day to support weight loss. If I eat less, my body seems to refuse to lose.

I probably eat more than my target once a week or so, to the tune of 1600-1750. In the 8-ish weeks I've been doing this (this time around), I have averaged about 1300-1400 calories per day, and lost a total of 14.4 pounds. All I can say is accidentally banking calories weekly is working, as is making sure I don't eat too little on a daily basis. I hope this information helps you (and anyone else interested) somehow. :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as starvation mode from eating under 1200 calories your articles there are incorrect. There are many articles that refute starvation mode as a myth, and reference actual science, even weight watchers refutes it. Please discontinue mentioning the myth as it continues to perpetuate in peoples minds as an actual thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    There's no such thing as starvation mode from eating under 1200 calories your articles there are incorrect. There are many articles that refute starvation mode as a myth, and reference actual science, even weight watchers refutes it. Please discontinue mentioning the myth as it continues to perpetuate in peoples minds as an actual thing.

It's not really a myth, it's just commonly misrepresented.
  • cchhiipp22
    cchhiipp22 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

When I go to Reports on the website, I only see "Charts" and "Export Data". Where are you seeing "Weekly digest"?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    cchhiipp22 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

When I go to Reports on the website, I only see "Charts" and "Export Data". Where are you seeing "Weekly digest"?

Apparently, MFP is slowly rolling this new feature out to members based in the US only for now. I have been around for 5 years and US based and have not received the feature yet.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2550144-weekly-digest