Did losing weight mess with your cycle?

Options
2»

Replies

• jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but I'm hoping it will! Since having my youngest and not losing the 30lbs I gained, my periods have been been awful. I'm hoping once I'm down to normal weight they won't be so bad again. Dieting (particularly either too low calories/ exercising too much) or having too much fat on you affects your hormones, in turn your period.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Female hormone levels are highly dependent on body fat percentage, absolute weight, and nutritional balance (ie, long-term deficits)

You are aiming at the literal bottom of the BMI range before you hit "Underweight." (At your height, dropping from your goal of 115 to 114 flips you over to underweight.)

Those ranges aren't some kind of magical line that means "everyone is fine if they're between these lines." They're based on population averages.

It may well be that you're trying to attain and maintain a weight at which your body begins to malfunction hormonally.
  • lgibbons92
    lgibbons92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last time I worked on weight loss my cycle got pretty messed up, even on birth control. Eventually I talked to my doctor and switched to a tricyclic pill (the ones with 4 different colors) and that worked well for me since.