Questions for those who lost 30 or more lbs

Options
artluv22
artluv22 Posts: 65 Member
edited February 2017 in Success Stories
1. What was your starting weight and height?
2. What is your current weight/goal weight?
3. How long did it take you to reach your goal?
4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward?
5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it?
6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically?
7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)?
8. Did your skin change?
9. Anything weird happen to you at all?

Thank you! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gfrQuSNq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1dEUklhhI

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    artluv22 wrote: »
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward?
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it?
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically?
    8. Did your skin change?

1. 5'6" about 180ish
    2. 147 - I maintained at about 150 for almost a year, now losing a bit more. I don't really have a current goal but likely < 10 lbs more.
    3. A little over a year. I was purposely losing slowly.
    4. I felt much better. I'd been at a low-normal BMI for most of my adult life so losing the extra weight was getting back to normal for me.
    5. No, no one ever avoided me or treated me differently when I was heavier.
    6. I don't think I can answer that having never walked in your shoes (so to speak).
    7. I was in perimenopause so a big yes to period changes. :) Exercise REALLY helped with menopause symptoms. I never had any night sweats or hot flashes. I did have PMS symptoms if didn't do regular aerobic exercise.
    8. No.
    9. No, nothing that had anything to do with my weight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Journey still in progress!

1. 5'3" and started at 254
    2. 217 currently. GW 130, but open to review (I mean to discuss with my doctor when I get down below 150, to finalize; I'm not sure where in the range I want to be.)
    3. I've been on MFP for 120 days now. It'll take as long as it takes.
    4. I feel better. Not sure about confidence; I'm an introvert with some minor anxiety issues. But I feel... stronger, I guess. More energetic.
    5. My parents like the change. My rabbi has told me to keep up the good work. His wife asked me for MFP's site address!
    6. I think everyone is different. Although, so far, my weight loss has been steady, I'm also down 37 lbs out of a projected 124; it's still early days. But reading the forums, I know that weight-loss is not linear. I'll probably plateau at some points. I might gain. (Time of month can do that.) And it's probably going to upset me, even though I know that it happens to everyone and I'm not likely to be the happy exception. Just keep your eye on the goal and know that however far off it may seem, you're heading in the right direction.
    7. I've noticed less cramping. I'm guessing that it has to do with my upped activity level. In the past, when I belonged to a gym, I found that ab-crunches with a weight machine helped a lot. Or at least, I thought so. That gym closed, but I've been working out with a Nordic skier and it does tone your whole body, including core muscles, so maybe that's enough. I'm not complaining!
    8. Nope!
    9. Does getting abducted by aliens and getting thrown back because I wasn't meaty enough for their annual banquet count? :p
  • valerievaladez
    valerievaladez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 5'6 285 lbs
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? 5'6 220 lbs ..not finished
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? 6 months
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? Not a huge change mentally. It takes u longer to see yourself different. Definetly more confidence. Physically I no longer have recurring headaches. I have way more energy & can move a lot easier. I feel younger!
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? I get a lot of compliments & I feel like those that already know me treat me better. Strangers on the other hand I get looked at more. Girls are mean lol
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? Expect to spend more money with clothes shopping. Expect to be looking in the mirror a lot more. Expect to get off track more than once.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    8. Did your skin change?

1. 220
    2. I went to maintenance at 180
    3. About 9 months
    4. I felt more physically fit and healthier
    5. No
    6. Depends on a myriad of factors so impossible to really say.
    7. I don't have those
    8. no
    9. no

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    8. Did your skin change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gfrQuSNq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1dEUklhhI

1) 5'9", 320
    2) 197 / 6 pack abs (I am not there yet but the upper abs are showing)
    3) I started July of last year
    4) I feel much better and have more energy.
    5) No but my wife seems to enjoy the upgrade.
    6) There will be times you don't see your progress. Having pictures to refer back to can be very helpful. Also, weightloss is not linear and, at times, the scale will stall or even go back up. Don't worry. Just take it one day at a time and you will get there.
    7) I am a guy.
    8) My elbows have gotten smoother, probably from a healthier diet.
    9) No but I feel great.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 195/5" 4.75"
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? 126/135 (I lost more than my original goal.)
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? About 10 months to get to GW. I have been on mfp for about 17 months.
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? I feel more fit and I feel stronger.
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? No one has really treated me any differently.
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? Some days I feel like I look great. And some days I feel like I don't look any different than before. You may not have anyone comment on your weight loss. Sometimes they are just being polite, and sometimes people are just so wrapped up in their own problems they don't really notice other people.
    7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? No.
    8. Did your skin change? No.
    9. Anything weird happen to you at all? I wouldn't say anything weird. I have had several people tell me that they are proud of me for losing weight, which I find odd. It is one thing for my husband to say it or my parents, but it is a little off putting to me when others say it. I think they mean well, so I try not to let it bother me. It does sometimes bother me when people tell me to stop losing weight now. I am actually not trying to lose weight any more and I don't need their input.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 305 lbs, 6'2" tall
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? 184 currently, goal was 190
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? About a year, maybe 13 months total.
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? Not sure I understand the question, of course I felt awkward being overweight, who doesn't? I certainly have a ton more confidence now that I've lost the weight.
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? Differently, no, not really. Well.. now that I've lost the weight I get told I'm "too skinny" a lot. I'm not, I'm even at the upper end of the BMI scales for Normal for my height. I think they are just not used to seeing me leaner. My body fat is somewhere around 13% and I'm working on building muscle so what they see (what they can see anyway) is lower body fat and more muscle. To them, it makes me look skinny I guess. I'm tall, that's always been the case.
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? Expect weight lost to stall.. a lot. Be prepared to adapt, be prepared to fail at times, and be prepared to pick yourself up and continue. I managed to injure myself by working out too much and being at too severe of a deficit. Take rest days. You need them. Don't fall for the BS diets, and stay away from the ACV (and any recommendations from Facebook).
    7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? I'm a guy, so nope.
    8. Did your skin change? I have more loose skin, but otherwise no. I started exfoliating day 1 on my diet, so there were some stretch marks that were visible before that you really have to look for to find now. I recommend exfoliation daily.
    9. Anything weird happen to you at all? Just the injuries along the way. They make you slow down and bum you out, but it happens. I hated having to replace my wardrobe three times in a year and a half. It gets expensive! Worth it, but expensive. Sometimes the reason people think I'm "too skinny" is I still have some clothes that aren't anywhere near being worn out that are comfortable but likely 1-2 sizes too big now (t-shrits for instance). Some of those make me look skinny because they are obviously too big on me.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    1. 5' 8", 280
    2. CW-> 215, GW-> 185
    3. 2+ years, but I have taken several breaks across that time period
    4. More energy, can keep up with the kids now, was always pretty confident anyway.
    5. Nope
    6. too many variables
    7. I'm a guy
    8. not that I've noticed
    9. I'm much more aware of the cold than when I was carrying the extra weight and it hurts my tailbone to sit too long.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 165 lbs/5'5"
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? 127 lbs/120 lbs (I reached 120 then got pregnant again, so technically re-losing)
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? Over a year the first time, but I planned maintenance breaks
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? More confidence in wearing tighter clothing and bathing suits, and I feel happier and stronger
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? No
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? That it probably won't happen as fast as you want it. Enjoy the journey, and hone your skills so you're ready for maintenance when you get to that point
    7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? No
    8. Did your skin change? No
    9. Anything weird happen to you at all? Well people still don't believe me when I say you can eat pizza and lose weight. (That's okay, more pizza for me B) )

Good luck! :)
  • artluv22
    artluv22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 305 lbs, 6'2" tall
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? 184 currently, goal was 190
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? About a year, maybe 13 months total.
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? Not sure I understand the question, of course I felt awkward being overweight, who doesn't? I certainly have a ton more confidence now that I've lost the weight.
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? Differently, no, not really. Well.. now that I've lost the weight I get told I'm "too skinny" a lot. I'm not, I'm even at the upper end of the BMI scales for Normal for my height. I think they are just not used to seeing me leaner. My body fat is somewhere around 13% and I'm working on building muscle so what they see (what they can see anyway) is lower body fat and more muscle. To them, it makes me look skinny I guess. I'm tall, that's always been the case.
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? Expect weight lost to stall.. a lot. Be prepared to adapt, be prepared to fail at times, and be prepared to pick yourself up and continue. I managed to injure myself by working out too much and being at too severe of a deficit. Take rest days. You need them. Don't fall for the BS diets, and stay away from the ACV (and any recommendations from Facebook).
    7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? I'm a guy, so nope.
    8. Did your skin change? I have more loose skin, but otherwise no. I started exfoliating day 1 on my diet, so there were some stretch marks that were visible before that you really have to look for to find now. I recommend exfoliation daily.
    9. Anything weird happen to you at all? Just the injuries along the way. They make you slow down and bum you out, but it happens. I hated having to replace my wardrobe three times in a year and a half. It gets expensive! Worth it, but expensive. Sometimes the reason people think I'm "too skinny" is I still have some clothes that aren't anywhere near being worn out that are comfortable but likely 1-2 sizes too big now (t-shrits for instance). Some of those make me look skinny because they are obviously too big on me.

I meant did you feel awkward when you reached your goal weight?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I meant did you feel awkward when you reached your goal weight?

In that case, no, quite the opposite. I feel great, have 90% less pain, and my clothes fit me, even some of the new stuff fits me loose. I'm in sizes that I have not worn since I was in college.

• ThreeLittleBalloons
    Options
    Starting weight on MFP 212 (217 prior to that) and my height is 5 ft 7
    My current weight is 171 and my goal weight is 147
    I haven't reached it yet but hopefully before the end of this year.
    Yes, I am more confident in my appearance and I care more about how I dress etc. I feel like I have become visible to others and it makes me more friendly as I don't feel that fat shame anymore. Don't get me wrong, I have pounds to lose but I'm heading in the right direction.
    Yes, people treat me differently but I don't know how much that is about them and how much it is about the changes in me as a person.
    There will be loose skin; there will be times when you look in the mirror and the person looking back at you is the one you left at the beginning of your journey; sometimes you might feel a little drained and like there is a huge mountain ahead of you; that being said it will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and your body will suddenly have so much more energy. If you manage to ride out the emotional side of things then the physical side will be so so easy. It's all a mind game.
    Yes, shorter periods but only once and that was last month. It's reasonably common I think.
    8. Did your skin change?
    Mine has improved.
    Not really; all pretty standard. I'm not doing anything radical so I don't expect anything weird to happen.

Good luck :)
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? 240 / 5'8"
    2. What is your current weight/goal weight? CW of 163, goal weight of 150
    3. How long did it take you to reach your goal? 4 Years
    4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? Sometimes (I know that's a crappy answer). I'm always really loved who I am, even when I was heavy. I do feel that I have less self doubt and I feel more confident in certain situations like shopping or exercising, but otherwise I really feel like the same awkward, ridiculous me, just in a redesigned package.
    5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? Definitely. There are people of both genders who wouldn't even speak to me before that are now overly friendly. My immediate family treats me the exact same, but my extended family has made a deal out of it and will make comments about my food choices now, almost like "don't get fat again . . ." Don't even get me started on Exes!!
    6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physically? Prepare to be disappointed sometimes, both in yourself and with others. There will be times when you will be working really hard and feel like you don't see any results at all, which will make you want to give up. There will be times when you just can't seem to stay on track. There will also be times when you will expect people to notice, but they won't. It's all part of the process and while it can suck, you just have to stick it out and not let yourself get discouraged.
    7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? YES! My entire cycle improved drastically. I went from a 45 day cycle to a 33 day. My cramps decreased in frequency and severity - I was previously having truly terrible cramps that would wake me up at night and after weight loss and adding magnesium supplements, I have super minor cramps that only last about 3 days.
    8. Did your skin change? My acne cleared up a lot. I really changed what I was eating, not just how much I was eating so I think it was the elimination of certain foods, rather than the weight loss that helped.
    9. Anything weird happen to you at all? I get cold a lot easier these days. At my heaviest I seldom was cold and now I am constantly freezing. I've also noticed my nails aren't as strong as they used to be :(
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    5'4" and 177 pounds

139 pounds. I lost 38 pounds. I am in the "normal" range for a woman my height. I don't really have a goal weight.

About 4.5 to 5 months. I mostly did it by changing my food and walking about an hour a day.

I feel exactly the same, just not overweight. I'm happy to wear clothes that fit and don't have to hide under huge sweaters and shirts.

I'm treated the same. A few people have complimented me. One wondered if I lost weight because I was seriously ill (shaking my head at that one).

6. Is there anything that I should expect on my 60 lb weight loss journey, mentally, emotionally, and physical
    This probably depends on you as a person.
    My biggest obstacle is myself. The biggest issue is thinking now that I have lost the weight, I can relax, maybe not log everything, maybe not exercise everyday. That is the slippery slope to gaining all the weight back -- moments where I don't care. It is not on other people. It is all on me.
    I've also decided that I come first because of my health. It is okay in social situations to draw a limit in a friendly way, like "No thanks, I'm fine for now" or "I have some health problems and don't eat that." I do not have to eat food I don't want or that's not good for my health just to please other people.

No, too old for that.

8. Did your skin change?
    Yes, I have some icky loose skin on my neck and I hate it. It is solely from being overweight and stretching my skin out of place. I hope it tightens up over time. But really, this is the only bad thing -- and it is better than having a heart attack, which my doctor warned me about.

Nothing weird at all. I now fit into my jeans and have turned around some serious health problems. I've learned to run, which always seemed like a magic trick.
  • HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    296 and I am 5' 8"

Current weight 201 GOAL weight 169

I have lost 95 pounds, started the end of 2015.

I feel more confident for sure. I feel stronger both physically and mentally, but then to lose a large amount of weight you really do have to become stronger mentally as well as physically.

5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers?
    Pretty much feel like I am treated the same as before.

You'll have your good days and your bad days, just keep on keeping on and you'll make it!

I always had a very irregular period and now it's so regular I can practically pin it down to the day it'll start.

8. Did your skin change?
    My skin is the same, I do have a little loose skin on my arms.

Nothing weird.
  • badgerface1k
    badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost 70lbs and the change in my physical health feels amazing. I am fit enough to put it on a girl and have her paying my bills
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    1. What was your starting weight and height? I started March 1st 2016 at the age of 57. 5'10 1/2" tall and weighed 308 pounds.

2. What is your current weight/goal weight? I weighed in today @ 229.6 pounds. I was down to 224 before Thanksgiving, but decided to take one month off of exercise and logging accurately. I weighed in at slightly over 242 pounds in January 2017. A little reminder, it doesn't take long to put some pounds back on. The Turkey and ham , Christmas cookies, beer and wine were worth it however..as long as you get back at it!

3.How long did it take you to reach your goal? I have not decided what my goal weight is. I believe I will settle on a range. Between 195-200 I expect to hit that before my 59th Birthday in September.

4. Did you feel different, mentally? e.g. did you have more confidence or did you feel awkward? I feel fantastic! My health is better than it has been in sometime. I started this as my Dr told me I was diabetic. So far, NO meds! Diet controlled. Blood pressure, cholesterol good..

5. Were you treated differently by family, friends, coworkers, exes, people who never used to talk to you, even strangers? Just anybody at all? And in what way? How did you take it? I have people that were amazed at my transformation. They didn't see me for awhile. My Dr is quite happy with me..as am I..and that's what counts. Oh..it feels good to hear it from others too..we all know that.

Expect ups and downs..be prepared for the downs..don't get too down. ENJOY the JOURNEY . Don't focus on the destination. Enjoy yourself and before you know it, you'll look back and see how far you've come.

7. Have you had any period changes (cramps, shorter periods, etc)? n/a

8. Did your skin change? Yes, I had blotches on my legs..looked like freckles..My Dr said it was due to circulation..and that seems to have cleared up.

9. Anything weird happen to you at all? Every single day. But that's a whole nother novel.

Thank you! You're welcome and best wishes!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    5'4". I've been as high as 180 but I started MFP at 163 lbs

I'm currently about 143 lbs. I got down as low as 128 but I lift weights and wanted to gain muscle. I purposely gained back up to 144 lbs. When it was time to cut back down again, I failed. So now I'm hanging out up here in the 140s. Goal weight is 135.

I never had a true goal. My goals change constantly based on physique and strength. I'd say I was happy around 133 and that took me about 9 months

4. Did you feel different, mentally?
    Overall I felt more confident. There were times I felt insecure, but it was because I still thought I was fat.

No. Not really. But some people are really not afraid to comment and say what they want about your transformation. Sometimes it can be shocking. I DID notice that I got less attention from men on the street after my initial loss, when I was down in the 120s. I lost my butt.

Just expect the unexpected. It's different for everyone. For me, I could look in the mirror one day and think "wow, I rock" and the next day the littlest thing could make me feel like a failure.

My period became less painful with weight loss. I found that I noticed ovulation more though and now have painful ovulation. Most likely not related though.

8. Did your skin change? When I'm in a deficit and about to drop fat, my skin gets saggy/droopy/melty looking. Then I'll drop a pound and it'll even back out. When I first noticed this I cried because I thought I looked worse than when I was fat!
    Watch your fat intake. I went too low and lost my period once.
  • notakumquat
    notakumquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    5'5" 260 pounds

170; goal weight is 150

Still working on it, but I lost the first 90 pounds in about a year

I have more confidence, in the way that if I can do this, I can do so much more. I'm still my normal awkward self, though, so not sure how helpful that is, ha!

I notice that strangers are more engaging and friendly. As far as people I knew before, it's mostly the same as always, except that quite a few of them have told me that I'm an inspiration to them, which is a strange feeling. :)

Some days it'll feel easy and some days it'll feel like moving a mountain. Motivation isn't steady, and it isn't easy. Find what works for you and stick with it. Power through the bad days, and making deals with myself helps me (if I work out for 5 minutes and still don't feel like finishing, I can stop....then do it again in 5 minutes!)

Not applicable, haha.

8. Did your skin change?
    Not really. It's a bit less fickle, but it hasn't really cleared up much.

The last 20 pounds have been an absolute struggle. I've been maintaining (fluctuating within about 10 pounds) for the past 2 years at this point and just can't shake them.

Anyone can feel free to add me, if you don't mind a vegan, gluten-free friend who eats the same thing every day. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!