Do macros really matter?

Options
Im struggling. Even when I stay within my daily cals I dont seem to lose weight. As I have pcos should I be looking into macros more? If so, can anyone help as I dont uderstand them. Thanks :)

Replies

• rachelpower82
    rachelpower82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks both.
    I dont weigh food at the moment so ive prob under guess-timated cals along the way :/
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Spliner pretty much answered the question.

But I will ask have you taken measurements? Because the scale is part of it, but our bodies do change and depending on how, measurements might be reflecting part of it the scale is not.

But I would go back and take a second or third look at your recommended calories and start there. If weight loss were simple, it would not be a Billion Dollar industry for so many companies.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Set yourself for a 1lb/wk loss. If you want to lose more, do it through exercise, that's the healthy way (in my opinion). But do go get a food scale it'll make a difference. They are cheap on Amazon.
  • kiyorasetsuna3
    kiyorasetsuna3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    More protein for weigt loss, less carbs
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Sodium could be the only macro that could blow you up on the scale. This might hit people differently, I know for me if I eat food today that is loaded with sodium (a surprise food that I so far did not know was a 'sodium bomb'), I will weight 2 pounds more tomorrow morning, no matter how much water I drink today to 'flush' out the sodium. It takes my body at least two days to flush out the sodium. Age might be a factor to sodium too, but that I am not sure.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sodium could be the only macro that could blow you up on the scale. This might hit people differently, I know for me if I eat food today that is loaded with sodium (a surprise food that I so far did not know was a 'sodium bomb'), I will weight 2 pounds more tomorrow morning, no matter how much water I drink today to 'flush' out the sodium. It takes my body at least two days to flush out the sodium. Age might be a factor to sodium too, but that I am not sure.

This happens to me usually at the first of the week after the weekend. I generally eat a lot of BBQ, salted foods, etc. on the weekends and it'll cause water weight gain on Mondays through almost Wednesday. Longer if I don't cut down on the sodium. That's why I generally don't weigh in until Thursdays.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    More protein Decrease calories for weight loss, less carbs

FTFY
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For strictly weight loss - macros only matter slightly. Some bodies handle carbs, proteins, fats, differently. Weight loss is the deficit of calories. However, for overall health, macros become more prominent in the picture.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Except sodium is a micronutrient and the weight gain that comes from increased sodium intake is water weight (which I'm sure you know...just pointing it out for the OP). It's important to remember that weight loss isn't about reducing the amount of water our bodies retain. It's about reducing body fat, and that's all about a calorie deficit.

And about macros specifically - while it's true that macros don't have a direct impact on weight loss, specific macros can play a role in satiety/hunger management. If sticking to your calorie deficit starts to become too difficult, it'd be a good idea to start paying attention to which macro(s) satiate you the most so that you can incorporate more of those foods into your diet.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks both.
    I dont weigh food at the moment so ive prob under guess-timated cals along the way :/

Usually the reverse is true, unfortunately. :frowning:
    Macros are important if you're doing things where you need to ensure you are getting optimal use of your calories (athletes, people who are lifting, etc) or if there are medical issues (diabetes, high blood pressure). Otherwise I use them as a guide, but not a hard fast rule as long as I'm under calories (for losing weight).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Thanks both.

You just answered your own question right here. Get a food scale and start using it!