Protein Powder for Women

Options
I almost bought some protein powder today.... but I chickened out. Does anyone know of any good protein powder specifically made for women? I am still weighing the pros and cons of using it in general, but I do a lot of toning exercises and I've heard that a good protein powder can help.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, specifically for women?
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    That's a good question - trying to put weight on and i could really do with upping my protein intake....
  • jlprovost
    jlprovost Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I mean a protein shake that doesn't have over 3,000 calories in one glass full. Something that is more in tune with helping women tone up but not bulk up.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I mean a protein shake that doesn't have over 3,000 calories in one glass full. Something that is more in tune with helping women tone up but not bulk up.

Ohhhhhh.....Sorry, can't help you. I am pretty bulky. :tongue:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70. No weird estrogens, no dairy, no GMOs, no petroleum from soy isolates, 140 calories. I blend a scoop with a cup of coconut milk and a banana or other fruit and ice.

http://manitobaharvest.com/product/10/HEMP-PRO-70-16oz.html
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not a woman but i know my girlfriend drinks the same kind i drink and she hasn't grown a beard yet lol. I am sure there are good proteins out there designed just for women but i am sure that a lot of them are just labeled that way for marketing reasons. Shop around and compare the nutritional labels. I currently use whey protein i got at costco (cytosport whey) it's the best deal i could find at the time considering the nutritional value vs price.
  • kiwinermal
    kiwinermal Posts: 17
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Whey Protein Powders are great. They come in vanilla and chocolate and are only 100 calories per scoop. I live to blend them with fresh fruit and ice for a great quick breakfast.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use Spirutein in the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. It's gluten-free and vegan (most flavors), and it 99-110 calories per heaping scoop (which is a serving).
    I love the texture, makes a nice thick milkshake-like protein shake. Keeps me satisfied after a hard workout.
  • a_q_u_a_lizard
    Options
    its funny that you ask..i just bought some protein powder today! i have been looking for a while, and i was not sure of what to get so i asked a friend i know who is a trainer and she said to get a whey protein with no sugar...so today i randomly came accross one that seemed too good to be true. its called edge: its a whey protein isolate ( i live in vancouver canada so im not sure about the states), and it has 105 cals/ serving, 0g fat, 8mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g sugar and 24g protein. i got the strawberry one for fruit smoothies and it tastes really good, without that chalky texture i found some had. they had chocolate and vinilla as well. i cant find a website on the bag or anything but it says its for building muscle /and or weightloss....o and its lactose and gluten free, with all natural flavors (no artificial sweetners)
  • awtakontrl
    awtakontrl Posts: 31
    Options
    i use cystosport. i get it from costco and it does just fine for me. no sugar, 130 calories, and tastes good!
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes fantastic protein powder. Here's the breakdown per serving:

120 Calories
    1.5 Fat
    30 Cholesterol
    60mg Sodium
    3g Carb
    23 Protein

You can mix it with water or with nonfat milk. The latter is how I make mine. There's no difference in men or women's protein powder. BTW the Double Rich Chocolate is the best flavor IMO.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?MCID=F-GOOG-OPT009
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There's one called Aria that I recently purchased. It's okay...I just hate overly sweet things, so I had use half the serving size in order to stomach the smoothie I'd made. 80 calories, 14g Protein, no artificial colors or flavors, sweetened w/ stevia...comes in vanilla and chocolate, I believe.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I love Syntrax Nectar brand. It has 0 carbs, 0 sugar, and I usually mix up two scoops so it's around 200 calories per shake for me. I like that particular kind because it mixes up smoothly (not gritty) and they have a wide variety of flavors. I've also tried zero carb Isopure, but didn't like their flavors as well. But I've lost weight while using both of those.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any protein powders that have 3000 calories. Maybe the mass gainers do. Most brands of whey protein have about 120-150 calories per scoop. Mix it with milk and you'll add a few more calories - use water instead if you want less calories, but it doesn't taste as good. There's no such thing as male/female protein. Just a marketing gimmick to make you pay more for a pretty pink jug. I use Optimum Nutrition brand whey protein. Women can't bulk up without steroids...it's a myth.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition 100 % whey protein. One serving is 120 calories and 24 grams of protein. It's the lowest calorie per gram of protein powder I've been able to find. Protein is a good idea and it won't make you bulky.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use "Body Fortress Super Whey Protein". It has specific directions on it for either bulking up or just trying to be lean. Also men vs women and how much to use. It gives you suggestions on what to mix with depending on what you want your outcome to be.

One scoop is 240 calories and then you figure what you are mixing with.

I have mixed the powder (have strawberry right now) with either water or 0% milk. To me it tastes kinda like a strawberry milk with water or strawberry shake with milk.

Hope this helps.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Aria's Protein for Women - made specifically for women.

But as a woman...I don't use it. I prefer IsoPure, it's a zero carb whey protein powder. I don't need carbs. I need protein. IsoPure delivers. It's a little pricey, but cheapest at SupplementGiant.com - they also carry Iso-100, another zero-carb hydrolyzed whey protein powder. It's legit. Cookies 'n' Cream or Chocolate. I swear by the store and the stuff.

If you have questions, just shoot me a message!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I like a whey protein powder called MRM. You can get it at Whole Foods, or order it online. It's 85-87 calories a scoop. You get little packets of them at Whole Foods- you can probably get them for free if you tell them how curious you are about it.

It's helped me loose weight and inches, and after workouts it's an amazing refresher.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I use the natural flavor of Biochem Sport's whey powder (http://www.countrylifevitamins.com/moreinfo.cfm?Category=20&Product_ID=334). It's pretty much just straight whey. I don't like all the additives and fake flavorings that most "shakes" add. With this I can add it to milk or a smoothie and flavor it any way I like.