C25K Running Group

Options
Hey Everyone :smile:

I have heard so many good comments about this Couch to 5k program that I decided I am going to try it out! :happy:

I was hoping that some other people on MFP would join me :bigsmile:

I plan on starting the program July 25, 2011 (Next Monday). I am going to be using the running plan on this link http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

We could use this thread to:
1. Keep track of our progress with the program :drinker:
2. Post how we feel from day to day with the program :tongue:
3. Just be supportive :heart:

If you would like to join I only ask two things from you :bigsmile:
1. Post your starting weight before the program
2. Post your ending weight after the program.

Everything else you do is optional. I will be posting my weight once a week on Sundays.

Feel free to add me as a friend :bigsmile:

M.:heart:

SW C25K: 155lbs

Replies

• femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would love to join you!!! I started the C25K program in mid-June but haven't really stuck with it....I am in need of some encouragement! I have never, ever in my life been a runner but my sister, best friend and I recently set a goal to run a half marathon in 10 months time. Yikes!!! I need to do this! My starting weight is 205 lbs. Let's become runners together!!!

Oh, is everyone doing this outside or are there some people running on a treadmill? I do both :)
  • SchoolCounselor
    SchoolCounselor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started it today!!!!!!! My starting weight now is 199!

I also downloaded the app for my phone that prompts me when to run, rather than counting on my watch.

I did it outside today, but the 90 degree weather almost killed me, LOL!!:laugh:
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    I started it today!!!!!!! My starting weight now is 199!

I also downloaded the app for my phone that prompts me when to run, rather than counting on my watch.

I did it outside today, but the 90 degree weather almost killed me, LOL!!:laugh:

That's great! I agree, this weather is killer!

Thanks for joining :bigsmile: I look forward to starting the C25K monday !!

• MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started in June with a few hiccups, but I am in the second week. Plan on doing w2d2 tomorrow. Guess I will be doing it on the treadmill because the temps here are crazy for outside! Yuck! My starting weight was 237.5. I use an iPod with the c25k app: http://www.c25kapp.com/ I have just gotten the Nike+ sensor to use with my iPod too. I am geeky enough to need to know how far and how fast I am going. It will run along side the c25k app and you can still listen to your own music. Love it! I would love to have some more c25k friends! I can use all the encouragement I can get! I am NOT a runner nor did I ever WANT to be! But I think that can change! :-)
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    Yes, I would love to join you!!! I started the C25K program in mid-June but haven't really stuck with it....I am in need of some encouragement! I have never, ever in my life been a runner but my sister, best friend and I recently set a goal to run a half marathon in 10 months time. Yikes!!! I need to do this! My starting weight is 205 lbs. Let's become runners together!!!

Oh, is everyone doing this outside or are there some people running on a treadmill? I do both :)

Hey Femme!

Thanks for joining! I think having a group on MFP will be more encouraging to stick with the program. I plan on running my first official 5k in January of next year :smile: As for whether I run outside or inside?....Outside! Eventhough it's 90 degrees outside right no lol :tongue: I feel like I burn more in the heat.

• dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but totally afraid to commit, especially with as hot as it is outside. I really want to do this though. Okay, I'm in!!! Will you post reminders?
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I started in June with a few hiccups, but I am in the second week. Plan on doing w2d2 tomorrow. Guess I will be doing it on the treadmill because the temps here are crazy for outside! Yuck! My starting weight was 237.5. I use an iPod with the c25k app: http://www.c25kapp.com/ I have just gotten the Nike+ sensor to use with my iPod too. I am geeky enough to need to know how far and how fast I am going. It will run along side the c25k app and you can still listen to your own music. Love it! I would love to have some more c25k friends! I can use all the encouragement I can get! I am NOT a runner nor did I ever WANT to be! But I think that can change! :-)

HI Misty! Thanks for joining us!

I feel ya on the hiccups. I usually start a program strong, but towards the middle of it I get off course :grumble: I think having a C25K group will keep us all motivated!

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I will give this a go, so count me in. Other than a light jog on the treadmill, I've never really ran before, but it can't be that bad, right? I'll be ready to start on Monday, so I'll be getting myself prepared in the mean time. I think I'll start with buying the proper running shoes!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and everyone, please add me as a friend for that needed support!!
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I'm interested, but totally afraid to commit, especially with as hot as it is outside. I really want to do this though. Okay, I'm in!!! Will you post reminders?

Hey Dointime!

I know how you feel, especially because of the weather (it's brutal!). I recommend either running in the early morning or later in the day around 8ish if you have the time.

I am glad you have decided to join us! I will be more than happy to post reminders informing you when to do the C25K. Just add me as a friend :bigsmile:

• HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I will give this a go, so count me in. Other than a light jog on the treadmill, I've never really ran before, but it can't be that bad, right? I'll be ready to start on Monday, so I'll be getting myself prepared in the mean time. I think I'll start with buying the proper running shoes!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and everyone, please add me as a friend for that needed support!!

Hey Coco! :smile:

Glad to have you on board!

I was looking over the c25k program and it doesn't seem that bad. It seems like it works you in slowly to building up your strenght and ability to run.

I will be adding you as a friend shortly :smile:

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the link, I'm reviewing it now!! It looks doable, and I know I can do it!! Thanks for starting the challenge!!

My Starting Weight: 205
    My weigh day: Sundays
  • dointime
    Options
    I have started this twice in the past but never finished. The first time I got pregnant and had NO energy, the second time I fell into a major depression that made it difficult to get out of bed, let alone run!!! I made it 4 weeks the first time, I think 6 the second time. My best advice is:

Start out slow. If it's way too hard, you're probably trying to go too fast. Slow down!

Running inside can be very different from running outside. I think that running outside is much more difficult. That seems to be the general opinion in other groups I've participated in also.

Hope that helps, even if I am not a graduate of the program!
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I have started this twice in the past but never finished. The first time I got pregnant and had NO energy, the second time I fell into a major depression that made it difficult to get out of bed, let alone run!!! I made it 4 weeks the first time, I think 6 the second time. My best advice is:

Start out slow. If it's way too hard, you're probably trying to go too fast. Slow down!

Running inside can be very different from running outside. I think that running outside is much more difficult. That seems to be the general opinion in other groups I've participated in also.

Hope that helps, even if I am not a graduate of the program!

Hopefully this time you will be able to complete the whole program! Thanks for the advice. I think running outside, rather than on a treadmill, has a different level of difficulty!

• HeyGrlHey
    Options
    Group Members (so far :bigsmile: )

Member Name/Starting C25K Weight

Hzminda/155 lbs

femme62209/205 lbs

SchoolCounselor/199 lbs

MistyDC29/237.5 lbs

dointime/??? lbs

CoCoMa/205 lbs

• liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm totally game to start! I just downloaded the app on my phone. I will plan on starting Monday! Starting weight 273!
  • allybally6
    allybally6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey I'll be starting week 2 next monday but the support sounds awesome. :happy:
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP but I am on week 7 of C25k. I have never been a runner and yet I did my second 25minute run this week! I am about 50/50 on doing it outside versus the treadmill. It all depends on if I my hubby is home or if I have to take the kids to the gym with me. My advice so far is make sure you add some incline if you are doing it on the treadmill so that it' isn't such a change when running outside. I run 4.5mph at a 2.5incline. When you are outside, SLOW DOWN, you will run out of gas quickly and get sore if you are trying to sprint through your run. I run super slow and I think that is what it helping my get through the program.

I haven't noticed any weight loss yet, but I am in "last 10 or so lbs club", and that is why I found myself here. Time to dial in my nutrition to get to that next level. Good luck all!
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I'm totally game to start! I just downloaded the app on my phone. I will plan on starting Monday! Starting weight 273!

Hey! Welcome and thanks for joining us!

I don't have the app on my phone, but I will be using the website they have for info/help. I'll add you to our members list :D

• dointime
    Options
    Oh jeez, I'm the big girl here too! My weight as of a couple of days ago was 280, but my scale died after my 4 year old used it as a trampoline. I have a new one coming UPS tomorrow (today) so I'll get you an official weight before Monday.
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi, hopefully it is not too late to join! I was looking for something like this! I started C25K yesterday when I finally got a heart rate monitor and could accuratley see my cals burned! It went well and I was able to do 90 seconds instead of 60 sometimes!! But, I have never been good at running long distances (which is why I play tennis) haha. So this will definetly be a challenge...lets keep each other motivated!!!!
    my starting weight is 188 and I began 7/20/11.