Stay at home moms of young ones. How do you do loose?

Options

Replies

• allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I keep my food scale out on the counter to make it easy to quickly weigh my food throughout the day. I have an 8 month old and an almost 5 year old. I generally do intermittent fasting until 11am/noonish, then I have a go-to meal (protein oats) to break my fast. Even though I'm at home, I like to prep a few days worth of food to make my lunches/midday meals (chicken, taco seasoned ground turkey, rice, etc) and then I'll add my veggies in. I like stuff I can just throw in a bowl all together and douse in hot sauce lol

I'm perfectly fine with repetition, so this works well for me. If you want constant variety it takes more work.

The nice thing is that you are in control of family meals. So we all eat the same thing, I just weigh mine, or there might be a sauce I skip on my own plate, etc. Also I know what dinner is going to be so I can plan the rest of my meals around it if necessary.
    I try not to snack, or if I do then I'll have things on hand that will fit well within my day's macros. I save enough carbs & fat to have chocolate or some other treat at the end of the day after the kids go to bed - which helps me put off any midday hankerings when I know I'll get to eat it in peace without the kids asking for a bite B)
  • jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 month old and 4 year old at home and no gym membership.
    I'm strict with my calorie intake, and don't depend on exercise alone for weight loss (there are some days where it just doesn't happen).
    I eat a small breakfast (a protein like hard boiled egg and a small fruit), small lunch (egg salad or chicken salad sandwich), minimal snacking, and decent sized dinner (heavy on protein and vegetables, minimal to no grains). I don't cook extra special meals for myself or have a separate eating schedule from my family because I'm on a diet.
    I've lost 70 pounds with 6-ish left to go.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been a stay at home mum in the past with little ones and you just stick to your cals and play with your little ones if youve chance walk them daily parks great with a ball
    Ive also been an out to work single mum and an out to work married mum

I'm a work from home mum now and it's harder tbh I do everything in the home all the washing cooking cleaning shopping DIY gardening lay all the bills make all the food for 5 of us

If we want something bad enough we will go get it Hun :)

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I work and do most all of the stay at home activities (cooking, cleaning, homework, activities). Good news is to lose weight you just need a calorie deficit. Exercise and activity increase NEAT so you could eat more but isn't necessary. Exercise is for physical, cardiovascular and psychological fitness. Get it in when you can but don't stress it if you dont. It took me several years to find me time (5am) to get in my workouts.
    Weigh your food. Log everything you eat ans drink. Find a reasonable goal and stick to it (0.5-1 pound a week is good for most people). Have patience.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I had almost 3 year old twins, a 6 year old & 8 year old when I first decided to lose weight. Back then I walked a lot with my twins in their pram, and I put a cheap exercise bike in my living room where I had to walk past it constantly, which basically meant I used it in order not to feel guilty.

I organised for my husband to watch the kids in the evening too, so that I could get an extra walk in with my mother. I had to do it because she was coming. It was hard to leave the house! I was not a big fan of exercise at all, but I worked it in. My twins liked to copy what I was doing, so I found workouts on YouTube and did those, and let them do it too.

As for food - I started telling myself that I'm not a garbage can. If my kids don't finish it, it's rubbish. And the proper place for it is in the bin, not in me. It doesn't do me any good to eat of their plates, because I've had my own food. I think when this really sank in was a few years later though when I must have been slipping back into old habits. My son was maybe 5? And he said to me that he wasn't going to eat all his dinner because he was saving some for me to eat after. That's it. Cold turkey, and not the kind that I could mindlessly eat.

My husband and I both cook for the family, and we generally make healthy food that we can all enjoy. Sometimes they'll have something that I just don't want, and my go-to is chicken with a nice big salad and some sort of carb. Pre-logging and knowing what I'm going to eat in the day is key for me. I like to know when I'm going to eat and have something in my day to look forward to. This always works the best when I'm at home, although I can tweak and alter what I'm eating to make it fit.

Fast forward a few years... I'm maintaining at roughly 140 lbs lighter than I was back in 2011. I'm a qualified personal trainer. I do regular training sessions with my kids (now 8, 12 and 13) and my kids know about portion sizes, can use a food scale (although they don't often, despite thinking its fun), and know about eating all foods in moderation. I don't force them to exercise, they love it! They all play basketball, and I've been involved with coaching my son's team as well. Something that 300 lb + me never thought would happen!

It's been an evolution though. I had to remember and force myself to put ME first, and that meant relying on other people to look after my kids sometimes so that I had the time I needed. So I incorporated the kids when I could, and planned around them when I had to. I went a whole 18 months where I got the kids to kinder/school and immediately went to the gym. I worked from home for a long time (up to 60 hours/wk), but when I went back to regular employment I set my alarm for 4.50am and got up before the kids did so that I could get in my exercise. People thought I was nuts. Sometimes I thought I was nuts. But I got the results.

The time is there, you just have to find it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am usually so busy I don't have time to eat! But yea I duno I mean, the kids mostly eat when and what we eat. I keep the real goodies out of reach, in the basement or freezer. Pre-log your day can help..drink coffee, tea or water. Meal prep healthy snacks and keep them within easy access.

I workout when the littlest one (1 year) is down for a nap, and the older one (3 years old) I set up an activity or put on a movie, sometimes she even works out with me. Also.. walking.. playing outside, dance parties, group yoga, walking up and down the stairs 100x (I am very forgetful, not sure if that is a good or bad thing lol).
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I make time to exercise at home (even if it's late at night after I finally get my 3 year old and 9 month old in bed), and I eat what fits in my calorie goal. A lot of it is just being determined enough to say "no", and tossing leftover food in the trash instead of eating it myself. I drink a lot of water during the day too, so I'm not really hungry between meals. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My mom stayed home until my little brother was 10 and didn't have any issues with her weight. She was very active though - we had goats until I was 15 and she had a large vegetable garden as well as a flower garden.

My sister stays home, is not as active, and struggles with her weight.
  • kellansmommy11
    kellansmommy11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    First of all, never quit. M FP can help you be accountable if you're being honest and you're logging. Even if you are just gaining and losing the same amount, you can at least start to see a pattern and recognize some areas that you struggle with. Never give up on the process at all. Your health is worth it. Your little ones need you to stick around, and it helps if you are healthy and active with them.

I am a stay at home mom. My son is six, and he just started school in August. I started losing weight this summer before he went to school. It was tough, but I came up with a process that worked. We walked a lot. We went to the playground. We were active. I did very easy workouts that he could do with me. It's good for him to see me exercise and to learn healthy habits. The same can be said for food. I know sometimes it is tempting to eat with the little ones eat, or when they are eating, but we have to practice self-control. I didn't go on a fancy food diet, I just ate the right amount of the food that we normally eat. I have lost 60 pounds this way.

I'm going to request you to be a friend on here. I think you need the extra motivation and support, which I am willing to give. If anyone else would like to add me, feel free. We can all support each other.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second the gym with daycare. Totally worth the cost for me and it still saves my sanity during school breaks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to YMCAs in several states and if I had kids would definitely join one. In addition to having daycare, they have lots of programs for kids and are very kid-friendly. Also, when I applied to be a yoga teacher at one I had to have a background check even though I'd be teaching adults not kids.
  • lilbird430
    lilbird430 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Exercise:
    1) cardio in morning before they wake up at home (bought a stationary bike off craigslist-best purchase ever)
    2) sneak off to do weights at the gym close to our house when daddy is home from work
    3) do weights, squats, lunges, pushups, planks, whatever while watching tv with kids
    4) youtube is a goldmine for workouts and i get bored easily so i love scanning through them
    5) dance with the kids
    6) listen to music and dance while cleaning the house

Diet
    1) i quit eating what the kids eat.
    2) oatmeal, eggs, chicken, lean beef, turkey burgers, sweet potatoes, green beans, kale, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, popcorn and fruit is basically my diet. If i want something else i will eat it, but only 1 serving and i dont go over my calorie count unless i exercise more. Some people call that a method of binging. I call it math and calorie management.
    3) drink lots of water
    4) drink green tea
    5) drink black coffee... Creamer is a calorie sink.
    6) if i go out to eat i only eat half and take the rest home for the next day.
    7) i eat dinner at five and dont eat any more until the next day at breakfast. It works for me.

Those are my tricks.
  • owlcake
    owlcake Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Love it lilbird430!!! That list is inspiring.

I'm back on my game. Walks every day. Eating with my daily limit. Today son and I raced while he was on scooter and I pushing stroller. First time running in over a year.

How many mamas actually weigh thier food? Seems super annoying? But I see the benefit of knowing exact numbers
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    owlcake wrote: »
    How many mamas actually weigh thier food? Seems super annoying? But I see the benefit of knowing exact numbers

I do. It's not annoying at all. Super easy: plate on scale, turn on scale, food on plate, read number, done.
  • Miribrown03
    Miribrown03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mums please add me! Am a newbie and i can't believe I just discovered MFP this Feb 2017. It's amazing!
    I have a 12 months old and pretty much do all the housework and get really really lazy to exercise especially with the winter.
    I started using MFP last week after I finally decided it's time to loose the baby weight I gained. So far i wake up in the morning, have the lemon/ginger/kale/cucumber/parsleysmoothie..then go into loose Intermittent Fast till 1pm to 9pm. Somedays i dont do IF i just grab 4 Wheetabix biscuits in the morning with skimmed milk and then I calorie-count throughout the day.. Mostly chicken breast/green leafy salad for lunch and beans at night.
    So far within one week I've been logging in and staying below 1200 calories every day I lost 3kg. I did go into deficit yesterday but oh well it just made me more motivated to get up today determined to do better. I don't keep track of my daily steps around the house but I plan to get a Fitness tracker.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't a stay at home mum when the kiddos were young, I was working. But my husband was the stay at home parent and these are the things he did when his weight started to creep up.
    1) do not eat kids leftovers or off their plates no matter how much it feels like a waste of food
    2) just because kids are like hummingbirds and eat frequently, do not eat every time they eat (the snack for you and snack for me syndrome)
    3) nap time for kiddo is not nap time for daddy
    4) stay active to avoid kids and you eating from boredom. It's not just getting out for a walk or to the park but make an effort to do activities like a massive play doh creation, or using the big toddler legos to build a castle, or breaking out paints and painting masterpieces, etc
    5) involve kids in diy and chores...like hubby would repair something and our toddler daughter would have job of holding the measuring tape and measuring stuff (even if it didn't need to be measured) or hubby would wash windows and toddler would have a towel to catch any drips. Or even help touching up paint. Obviously the projects and jobs need to be age appropriate like a 2yr old couldn't sort out long from short screws and be trusted to hand them as needed but a 5yr old can. A 5yr old can also be given a paint brush or small roller and shown how to touch up a wall. You also have to schedule things/break them up as younger kids have shorter attention spans. My husband is a typical man in that he found a way to make this stuff very much like a game...the kids loved doing projects with him and have learned so many useful skills.
    6) do not eat in front of the tv or while on phone or laptop or tablet..studies show we turn into mindless eating machines if we eat while distracted by electronics. Eat together at the table.
    7) if you're not single, set up regular times your partner can watch the kids while you exercise...I used to have the kids three times a week to myself in the evenings while he went to a spinning class at the gym. It was actually really good for me to have "mummy time" with the kids because the dynamic is different when it's just you and the kids vs being a couple with the kids. We'd play our own games and I'd involve them in cooking...a 1yr old can play with pots and pans and search out what you need, while a 5yr old can help with mixing and pouring ( used to make bread and my eldest daughter by that age would have her own dough to knead and make a "baby loaf"...which she'd proudly present for accolades and much munching. she now wants to be a chef go figure. But anyway, yeah young kids can slow you down while doing chores or cooking but they love to "help" and it's just another fun learning activity.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM too and it's tough, I had to stop snacking when my son snacked, and stop buying the snacks like goldfish or alphabet cookies that I would just devour while Artie snacked lol. I buy fresh, frozen and canned veggies, so we ALWAYS have veggies with every meal, no excuses. Spinach with eggs, salad with lunch, roasted broccoli with dinner etc.

And I cook in a big batch and end up estimating how much I've taken from it, and I try to pick up more veggies and less everything else. It's not an exact science but right now it's working. Smaller plates help me have smaller portions. If I snack after Artie is in bed I enlist my hubby to make the snack and dole out ONE serving for me lol.

Activity wise, I have a Wii Fit that I exercise on during naptime, for 30 mins.but I don't fuss too much about it because I bought a fitness tracker, and my steps are 8-9k on a lazy day, and 12-13k on a busy day, so If I don't have energy for a workout, I let myself rest.

It's emotionally and physically tough to be a SAHM! But I'm determined to lose this weight and have lost about 8lbs so far, and I don't want to make any super drastic changes that won't stick.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    owlcake wrote: »

I did it for a week and hated it, so the kitchen scale is collected dust somewhere in a cabinet. I admire the ones that do it though! It's just not for me, lol

• RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food. You get used to it. Just like using measuring cups and spoons probably seems needlessly slow and annoying to a home cook who is used to eyeballing every recipe.

I disagree with the posters who say not to eat what the kids eat. I don't eat exactly what they're eating every time, but I think it's important for us to eat approximately the same thing at mealtimes. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they can only have kid foods, and I really don't want my kids to think that I need to eat some different food because I'm losing weight. Frankly, that sounds like a good way to give them a screwed up relationship with food.

(My kids are 10 and 5. I'm not saying parents should eat baby food of course!)