Shoulder Pain

Options
I have had shoulders pain for last 6 months now, probably from lifting weifhts, does anyone else have similar problems and please tell me how to cure it, I have been to doctors they gaved prescribed me peracetamol and told me to do stretching exercises but it still didn't sort the problem, thank you all in advance

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Chiropractors - I hear good things but I haven't tried it myself yet.
    Consult with one, see if he can help you.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had great result from seeing a physical therapist. Only took one visit.

Fwiw I see people doing one thing in the gym all the time and in my experience it's bound to hurt you eventually. If you do this, ask a physical therapist what they think: front raises with Dumbbells should not be done with thumbs pointing parallel to the floor. Thumbs should point up when you're not a body builder. Like this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxyXCxxVO4
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Are you on the computer a lot? My mom gets bad shoulder/back pain from sitting at a computer all day. If the doctors aren't worried, I would invest in a masseuse.
  • Rax1974
    Rax1974 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Do you bench? Improper form can tear your shoulders up!!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things. I tend to get some inflammation in the front of my shoulders which tells me I need to lay off, and I have some terrible knots on the back side that have improved a lot from deep tissue massage.
    Chiropractor has been a huge help to me, but I don't have any serious injury.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I found i need to do a lot of mobility exercises to keep my shoulders flexible enough to handle weight lifting, even when doing something that does not seem to use the shoulders (like squats). I used to have a lot of pain, and nagging minor injuries, and this was what solved it for me. This isn't just stretching, it is actual mobility exercising, and I do about 15-20 minutes before any lifting, with primary focus on my bad spots (hip flexors and shoulders). Here is one site, but you have to do research and experiment to see what best works for you. And like the comments above, get checked out before you do any of this stuff to make sure you do not have an injury that needs to heal. Good luck! http://www.maxworkouts.com/articles/entry/6-shoulder-mobility-exercises-to-help-you-increase-your-flexibility
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Shoulder pain for 6 months ISN'T a mild issue. Go to an ortho and get an assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    6 months!
    Time to get a proper diagnosis. Sports Physio or orthopaedic referral I would suggest.

Painkillers aren't a long term treatment.
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I had a torn rotator cuff. Go see an Orthopedic surgeon and make sure it's not your rotator cuff. You don't want to mess with that. The surgery is the worst and full recovery takes a year.

How did you tear it?
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by shoulders - if the pain is specifically in the ball joint / socket area then you've probay strained the tendons or even tore them. Ive had bad tendinitis in my left shoulder for over 10 years; injured it pulling the vacuum out of my pool at a bad angle one day, it's never been the same. Not a lot you can really do except anti-inflammatory meds or cold compress - BUT I've recently started using electrotherapy pads and they actually help.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Possibly bursitis??? I just today got a Cortisone injection to help with mine!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Possibly bursitis??? I just today got a Cortisone injection to help with mine!

That's a coincidence! I got a cortisone injection in my left shoulder today. I have bursitis and tendinitis. Only just hurt my shoulder February 13
  • skyisthelimit2017
    skyisthelimit2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Rax1974 wrote: »
    Do you bench? Improper form can tear your shoulders up!!

Yes i have been using bench press probably that's what triggered it
  • skyisthelimit2017
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Chiropractors - I hear good things but I haven't tried it myself yet.
    Consult with one, see if he can help you.

I might try that thanks
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A lot people have shoulder problem due to not warming up, stretch and form.

Are you still training? If so, I suggest you have a break. Have co-codomol and ibrofen.
  • russell_king
    russell_king Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bad posture? Pull shoulders back and exercise back muscles. Lay off pectoral exercise for a while. Use free weights instead of barbells for natural arm movements.
  • skyisthelimit2017
    Options
    Last thing i want is go for surgery
  • skyisthelimit2017
    Options
    Thank you all great people for your help and brilliant answers
  • Savage__AF
    Savage__AF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had shoulder problems for years with any pressing movements that caused me great pain. What I started doing was warming up my shoulders with resistance bands before every workout and I haven't had a problem since.