Self hate after cheat meal

Options
Hey guys, looking for some support from this awesome community..

I allow myself a cheat meal every week. It's reasonable and I never "over eat." It's part of the meal planning my trainer has me on. Anyways, I always feel terrible and like really hate on myself when I do this. Do you guys have any tips on how to not destroy yourself when you make a mistake in your diet or allow yourself some sweet treat every now and then? I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months (started at 275 no I'm at 252).

Replies

• matthewhumpherys582
    Options
    Yeah. Definitely! I've been thinking just to cut them out. The deeper question is how do you rebound after eating something that you probably shouldn't??
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Please stop punishing yourself. Sometimes we just need those extras. Work a little harder the next day. I used to freak out when I ate half an apple. Now I let it go and I sleep better and the scale goes down the second day.
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, 20 lbs in 2 months! I know how you feel about the cheat meal. I do that too, but I find it easier to just remind myself how I will feel afterwards before I even eat it. It helps me not do the cheat meal or eat much less of it (if I absolutely have to have it).
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's possible that calling it a 'cheat day' might have a lot to do with feeling so guilty about it. Often it is the way we perceive a problem rather than the problem itself. If you are losing weight this way..and you said you are. And you have chosen a trainer you trust to guide you and he has suggested you eat a larger meal once a week then you are o.k. 20 pounds in 2 months is great. Now as far as these communities go? There are good ones and others not so good. Just like in real life. Except here you will often run into people that can be just plain mean! Do not take that and run with it! Take the good..and leave the rest behind. Believe in yourself. Trust your trainer. Find some 'good friends' here. 'BlueHorse8' seems to relate well to what you are going through. It is a a learning process..for all of us..so share with us what you discover as you move along. Best wishes!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Definitely! I've been thinking just to cut them out. The deeper question is how do you rebound after eating something that you probably shouldn't??

You said they are part of your plan for your trainer - they are likely there for a reason! Perhaps ask him to explain why.

You need to stop with all the negative food associations. I've been there, and it caused me so many problems. You need to be comfortable knowing that you can eat what you like, when you like, and still achieve your goals. (I'm in no way suggesting you forego a healthy nutritious diet and fill your calories with doughnuts for breakfast, followed by beer and pizza for dinner every day, just know that eating these foods isn't bad, or a reason to feel guilty - unless of course you stole the food before eating it. Then feel guilty)

Perhaps when you ask your trainer about the purpose of a free meal/refeed, you can express your anxiety at having no parameters. Perhaps he can give you macros/calories to stick to so you know you still have some control over your day?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Kudos on your progress so far, it's clear whatever your trainer has you doing/eating is getting results. Though, if you're having trouble dealing with the "cheat" meal portion of the plan, I wouldn't be afraid to talk to him/her about your feelings about it and see if they have an alternative strategy to suggest. As you lose more weight and get closer to your goal it may get harder to keep seeing results with a lose(r) diet plan. It's possible this cheat meal might be something your trainer structures all of their plans with during the initial phase to help trainees transition into a healthier lifestyle without being overwhelmingly restrictive to promote early buy-in to the program.

Personally, I'm not a fan of designated cheat meals or days; they only serve to structure indulging the very dietary choices and behaviors that created the physiological situation you're trying to solve. Rather than build in a designated meal or day to satiate cravings/desires on a regular basis, be realistic in accepting that, occasionally, mistakes or less-than-healthy choices are going to be made, be prepared to minimize their effect, and try and reduce their frequency.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have cheat meals. This doesn't work for everyone, but my "cheat meals" are healthy desserts I've learned to love as I've gotten used to a healthy way of eating. Try finding healthy ways to cheat that are healthy but feel like you are cheating?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at your food as good and bad, and stop calling it cheating. Call it a refeed meal. Sounds like you are losing at a good rate, so it's not harming your losses. As you get closer to goal, you may need to watch that a little more closely.
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be having a cheat meal. A calorie deficit diet more or less allows you to eat foods you enjoy.
    If you crave a mcdonalds, or chinese, go get it, log it and if your under your calories great, if not take it off the next few days and it works out
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    While I agree the whole idea of a cheat meal or cheat day is bad because it links emotions to food, I disagree with the idea that there is no such thing as good or bad food. Some food, i.e. Fast food( McDonalds, KFC, Chipotle, Panda Express), is clearly bad and should only be eaten if the only food on the planet and you'd starve to death without it. I tend to categorise these foods as "food like substances" or "not food" in my mind. If it's not food, then it follows there is no point eating it whatsoever as it's harmful to my health...to me it would be equivalent to drinking a bottle of draino..poisoning myself. I don't even crave these bad foods, zero temptation to "cheat." I don't have a cheat meal or cheat day...I just eat healthy. At times I will treat myself...as in a big multi course dinner with a dessert....but it's not cheating so much as planning how I want to spend my daily calories.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have a look at cognitive behavioural therapy, you can do this on line, and it doesn't have to take that long, but you need to learn how to reframe how you think about that "cheat" meal.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as a cheat meal and just look at it as any other meal but don't do it often if you feel bad afterwards. This is a lifestyle choice so eat realistically. It's okay to eat what you want like that.