Advise on Healthy Snacks (Help!)

Options
perlaram
perlaram Posts: 5
Hello my MFP Friends,

I've only been a member for about a little over a week. My journey has just begun.

I'm asking for your help!

I get hungry often during the day because of the calories I'm controlling. I need lots of ideas on healthy snacks I can keep at my desk, that are low in calories.

I'm going to make a list and go shopping. I truly appreciate any help!

Replies

• taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds are great. Apples. Raw vegetables (pre-cut to make easily accessible). Home made trail mix (raw almonds, cranberries, etc).
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Carrots
    Alpen light bars
    Kellogs Special K Bars
    Fruits
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    the raw almonds are great. i use them in salads and as snacks or even in healthy smoothies. :-)
    clif protein bars
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I always keep walnuts, almonds or small bags of trail mix. On monday bring in 2 apples, 2 oranges and a banana to munch on during the week. I also keep a jar of peanut butter and rice cakes in my locker. I work in a hospital and sadly there are not many healthy options. I like the 100 cal oat revolution packs too with flax and omega
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    Raw almonds (watch serving size - make sure you're only eating a handful)
    Fruit of any kind
    Cut up veggies
    You can add a bit of peanut butter to the fruit or veggies for some protein.
    I really like pita chips now an then. A handful is enough and doesn't destroy my calorie balance.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, yogurt, raw vegetables, pretzels, almonds, oatmeal, dry cereal, protein bars......

There are also a lot of prepackaged 100 calorie snack items available at any grocery store if you need a salty or sugary fix, like cracker or cookie items.
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi. Here are some things I bring for snacks at work: unsalted almonds (watch your serving size), 100-Calorie snack packs, fiber one bars, apples, oranges, sugar-free fruit cups/applesauce, other fruits, pretzels (unsalted are better), pop chips

If you have access to a refrigerator: cucumber slices, carrots, string cheese, 100-calorie Breakstone's Cottage Doubles, Greek yogurt, celery, hummus

Happy healthy snacking!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I always keep carrot sticks, snap peas, low fat cheese sticks and almonds handy.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    any kind of nuts are good.
    I make up my own kind of trail mix with raisins almonds and Sunspire grain sweetened chocolate chips
    Apples are a magical fruit for me; they perk me up and fill me up any time
    tortilla chips are a good filler for me, but it depends on where you are for calories/fat
    yogurt if you have a fridge you can keep it in
    veggie sticks of any kind, celery with peanut butter is very filling
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veges can't be beat, but I just recently fell in love with Quaker Quake rice snacks, and you can eat 13 of them for 1 g of fat and 120 cals i think it is, different flavors, carmel corn, cheese, cream brule etc.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veges can't be beat, but I just recently fell in love with Quaker Quake rice snacks, and you can eat 13 of them for 1 g of fat and 120 cals i think it is, different flavors, carmel corn, cheese, cream brule etc.
    Yes, the quaker snacks are the bomb. They are the size of a silver dollar, and 13 of them is super satisfying. I like the pomegranite ones the best.
  • skyisthelimit25
    Options
    edamame (soy beans)! in restaurants, they usually serve them warm, but they can also be enjoyed at room temperature. they're awesome in shell with a teeny bit of salt. but you can buy them out-of-shell as well! sometimes i'll eat a lil bowl of 'em as though they were jellybeans!!
  • ctchc28
    ctchc28 Posts: 9
    Options
    100 calorie packs are great, just remember they aren't really low calorie they are just portion control!! I always keep fruit, edamame, cheese sticks, pretzels, and dry cereal at work to snack on. Like today I cut up a pint of strawberries and put them in the fridge at work. That way I can grab whatever I want whenever I'm feeling peckish and since I don't put sugar on them each serving is less than 50 calories. Sometimes I'll even make an open face peanut butter sandwich (a piece of sara lee delightful multi grain bread and half a tablespoon of peanut butter (it's under 100 calories). It's not great on the carbs front but when I'm craving carbs it works without breaking the calorie bank. I also love love love the Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds. They come in 100 calorie packs too, and it gives you the perfect chocolate fix.

I've got the calorie thing down pat these days... it's the sugar intake I'm still struggling with. It doesn't help that I can't really use anything with sugar substitutes in them. About the only thing I'm not allergic to is sucralose (splenda) and I try not to have too much of that either. Good luck, and if you find any interesting snack ideas please share!!
  • perlaram
    Options
    You are all awesome! Thanks for your tips and Information. Feel free to Friend me! I'm always looking for encouraging friend.
  • jenellechan26
    Options
    Look for snacks that have higher protein content. ThinkThin bars are GREAT! :)
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Pretty much every day for a snack I cut a green apple into slices and smear it with Laughing Cow light cheese. Yum!
  • fallingrock
    Options
    I like the kelloggs nutri grain bars
  • perlaram
    Options
    That's sounds tasty! Gotta try it soon. Thanks!
  • aguinnmc
    aguinnmc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bhuja - Spicy Peas are great for me. They pack a punch and you don't need many to curb your need for a snack. They also help me meet my water goals since they are so spicy.

Also, if you eat with your less dominant hand you have to think more about each bite you take....not as automatic of a process. That might help lower the size of your snacks.

Best of luck!!!