Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lent

So I have a religious lent coming up in a few days. What I give up is carbohydrates. Completely. Do you guys have any ideas for foods with no carbs (not low carb)? Please don't tell me it's unhealthy because I already know. Thank you

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    edited February 2017
    Beef, chicken, pork, fish. I think that's got it covered.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    You'll want to do lots of organ meats. Preferably rare, so you don't get scurvy. There's a big long thread over on the "nutrition" board you can read for inspiration.
  • Aftronthegreat
    Aftronthegreat Posts: 54 Member
    Like completely cutting out carbs 100%? Or doing low? I think vanmep has the right list :smile:
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    So, no vegetables or fruit either? Sounds challenging, but I guess that's the point, right?

You're basically limited to protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Cheese.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Cheese has carbs. Not a lot but if OP truly wants no carb then cheese would not be included.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You'll want to do lots of organ meats. Preferably rare, so you don't get scurvy. There's a big long thread over on the "nutrition" board you can read for inspiration.

I had no idea that raw meat contained vitamin C until this moment, thank you for the education!

OP, do you mean "carbs" as in digestible carbs, or "carbs" as in the crazy definition on US nutrition labels, which also includes fibre? I'd strongly advise you to limit your ban to what they call "net carbs" and allow yourself some fibre.

Remember lent is 6 weeks and 6 weeks is a long time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    What's the reason for giving up carbs for Lent?

No carbs foods are meats, oils, and I think water (might have trace carbs).
  • spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    If you're only eating no-carb, that'd be some types of meat and seafood, some oils, some seasonings, and water. This is based on a quick search online.

Sounds pretty miserable.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    You realize we actually need SOME sugar / carbs for brain function, right? No?

Okay.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Rice and beans would be more true to the goals of Lent, while donating the grocery savings to the poor.

But hey, if you want to spend more money and live entirely on meat and pretend it's about God, I guess that's an option.

It's been a long time since I went to church, but I seem to remember as a kid that the point of Lent is to NOT eat meat... at least on Fridays, correct?
    This seems super backwards to me.
    I think the meat thing is mostly just for Fridays, but it's the idea that meat is expensive and was part of celebrations and giving it up was humbling and somber.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You realize we actually need SOME sugar / carbs for brain function, right? No?

Okay.

inb4 the body can make glucose from protein.