What are your secret sauces and spices?

Options
Rhody_Hoosier
Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
What do you like to throw on your food? Any food?

I put these two on just about anything from scrambled eggs, chicken breasts, sausage, to salads and vegetables.

McCormick Sriracha Black Pepper Seasoning

Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce

Post your favorites and suggestions below! Share your ideas for fellow MFP users. Much appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid cook and have a whole cabinet full of spices...no way I could list them all.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been doing stuff with Tofutti Sour Supreme, salsa, and sweet pickle relish. Occasional sriracha too, especially on eggs. I also have a lot of spices.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm an avid cook and have a whole cabinet full of spices...no way I could list them all.

Anything in particular you go to? Or a certain brand you recommend? I use a little bit of Penzy and some Wild Tree spices, but will pick up just about anything off the shelf.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple girl and head for Tony Chachere's for most things.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »

I put these two on just about anything from scrambled eggs, chicken breasts, sausage, to salads and vegetables.

Post your favorites and suggestions below! Share your ideas for fellow MFP users. Much appreciated.

I agree with the Green Tabasco but to be honest, Green Cholula is even better!!! I'm totally addicted!vevhres0ue7x.jpg

• jenlowlow
    jenlowlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My local spice shop has a hot smoked Spanish paprika that I use on everything from chili, to tacos, and soup. They also have an orange pepper seasoning that I use to roast most of my veggies (it's the best on brussel sprouts) .
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »

I agree with the Green Tabasco but to be honest, Green Cholula is even better!!! I'm totally addicted!vevhres0ue7x.jpg

I will reach for that one next time around and give it a whirl!!! thanks for the reply!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have an obsession with Piri Piri Sauce and Seasoning. It is great on any protein and veggie. You can make your own (what I do) or buy. I see Nando's in most stores. The sauce is spicy raw but mellows when cooked. The seasoning is smoky and bright. It has smoked paprika and lemon pepper in it.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html

Instant%2BPot%2BPiri%2BPiri%2BChicken%2Band%2BRice2.jpg
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I love piri piri and I also love harissa.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I have an obsession with Piri Piri Sauce and Seasoning. It is great on any protein and veggie. You can make your own (what I do) or buy. I see Nando's in most stores. The sauce is spicy raw but mellows when cooked. The seasoning is smoky and bright. It has smoked paprika and lemon pepper in it.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html

Instant%2BPot%2BPiri%2BPiri%2BChicken%2Band%2BRice2.jpg

Thank you very much I have them both bookmarked and will try them!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    1/2 c Zesty Italian dressing, 3T Balsamic vinegar and 2T Honey in a pan. Stir together while heating, add back into the pan with the sauce cooked chicken, saute'd mushrooms, and green beans. Stir all together, add cherry tomatoes cut in half at the end. Even my kids love this.
    You could try the sauce with lots of other meat and veggie combinations as well.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Instead of soy sauce braggs organic amino is good. Lower sodium but tastes similar and way healthier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lemon zest
    Caramelized onions
    Garam masala
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yum!

Here's one of my fav's:

dzr8yli3wg4h.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Thyme. I think dried thyme is not that great - it can make things taste like dirt, but fresh thyme right out of the garden is amazing.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My secret ingredient? Baking cocoa in anything with tomatoes- chili or spaghetti sauce, just a rounded teaspoon in a big pot. It adds a depth and richness, coordinating well with both chili powder and balsamic vinegar.

My second secret ingredient is a sprinkle of cinnamon on chicken and in chicken soup. When not combined with sugar, cinnamon brings a savory delight.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm a salt and pepper type of gal. Since doing the Whole 30, I've learned to rely solely on Salt pepper and various Mrs. Dash's.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    smoked paprika
    Cholula -Chili Lime and Chili Garlic
    fresh herbs & lemon
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Cumin + chilli + onion powder + sage will make anything taste good.

Pour a bottle of dark beer into whatever meat you're making in your slow cooker. Trust me.

Balsamic vinegar. Put it on things.