Have u ever noticed that every diet industry product is a complete and total scam?

Options
badgerface1k
badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member
They are getting rich on people who want to lose weight but are looking for a easy way to do it, even when that means stepping outside reality. I am not criticizing these people I am just giving facts. I work at a dollar store and we sell these weight loss pills and the ingredient label only says "proprietary herb blend" and I am certain they are made of sawdust. All u have to do is eat fewer calories than your body needs and you lose weight. Anyone can do it.

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Hello Voice Of Reason!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Ding ding ding! This guy gets it.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The problem is, everybody wants to believe there's a magic pill that will gives them the body of their dreams overnight and even though most people know in their hearts it doesn't work - it doesn't stop people throwing money away in the hope.

Ultimately it's a progressive learning curve for most people - unfortunately some people never break out of the pattern of yoyo dieting with these horrible fads, throwing money away year on year!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Those Nutri System infomercials make me nuts!

I could strangle Marie Osmond. One of her first commercials was when she looked in the mirror and had discovered she had gained 50 pounds and declared it the "worst day of her life." Like it had just happened overnight.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Methamphetamines (Phentermine and such) work, but it's not food. More than half of the overweight people can't take it anyway because of the contraindications or side effects. Hard work and changing the lifestyle is the only healthy option for most
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the "Get ripped in just 14min a day"... Yeah, if you eat next to nothing as well...
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    As long as there are gullible people who want an easy way out....
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Gotta be honest I used Ripped Fuel back in the day with ephedra....That *kitten* was amazing!!!(Obviously why they pulled it)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's hard to feel sorry for these people in their endless search for the easy way out, just repeatedly falling for these scams over and over again. I know a few of these people. They just never learn. The amount of time, effort and resources they waste on this garbage could have been spent getting to their goals by now. :s
  • VodkaAddictx
    VodkaAddictx Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yesssss eat less and move more!! There no miracle pills or potions lol
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I want to believe.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    Gotta be honest I used Ripped Fuel back in the day with ephedra....That *kitten* was amazing!!!(Obviously why they pulled it)

Well, they didn't ban it because it was "amazing." It was banned because numerous studies showed a significant number of serious and even fatal reactions including high blood pressure, palpitations, heart attacks, nausea, vomiting, strokes, seizures, sudden death, psychosis, insomnia, and heatstroke. My ridiculous mother-in-law used Fen-Phen for a few months and permanently damaged her heart valves. Yet she loved the "high" she got from it so much that she says she would still use it again if she could get a prescription for it. :p
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    Methamphetamines (Phentermine and such) work, but it's not food. More than half of the overweight people can't take it anyway because of the contraindications or side effects. Hard work and changing the lifestyle is the only healthy option for most

I would just broadly say "amphetamines" here because "methampehetamine" is something very specific, from a pharmacological, social and legal perspective. Recently, there's been a combi drug of Topamax / Phentermine that is FDA approved for weight loss (on market in 2012). It's only schedule IV. Phentermine is also Schedule IV compared with amphetamine (Adderall) and methamphetamine which are Schedule II.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Well, they didn't ban it because it was "amazing." It was banned because numerous studies showed a significant number of serious and even fatal reactions including high blood pressure, palpitations, heart attacks, nausea, vomiting, strokes, seizures, sudden death, psychosis, insomnia, and heatstroke. My ridiculous mother-in-law used Fen-Phen for a few months and permanently damaged her heart valves. Yet she loved the "high" she got from it so much that she says she would still use it again if she could get a prescription for it. :p

They banned it because people were taking 3,4,5,6,7,8 doses a day instead of 1-2.

If you abuse caffeine pills you'll get the same result.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Ephedra (in Ripped Fuel) is not Ephedrine (in Brock Aid) and neither of them are Phentermine, which is in Fen-Phen (with Fenfluramine). Pharmaceutical grade Fen-Phen was banned due to cardiac risk, some which led to death.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

They banned it because people were taking 3,4,5,6,7,8 doses a day instead of 1-2.

If you abuse caffeine pills you'll get the same result.

some say abuse; some of us say utilize
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I've a friend who asked me to do some questionnaire the other day to see she was just given some generic results...our results were different so she's singing up for yet another get thin quick scam. Lose 15 lb in 2 months I was told with my results...she's on board and has spent so much money trying to lose weight and get fit it's nuts
  • Trishous
    Trishous Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to say I fought against the calories in calories out for years. I did try one fad that helped me cut back on my cooking and portions. The thing is I talked with my doctor and she said the calorie count was too low and that I should up it. This particular one didn't totally push their product and you could use real food. The hardest thing for me was cutting back the amount of food that I was cooking. I have been used to cooking for teens at least 3 to 5 teens minimum daily. Now they grew up and they and their friends don't come around as much. It was a big learning curve to cut back. This particular fad did help me cut the portion sizes and the amounts I put in the pan while cooking. I know it wasn't over night I put on the weight but the new thinking is something everyone has to come to on their own. I have problems with the nutisystem commercials as well. They use soy protein which isn't good for me because soy protein causes too much inflammation in my joints. That is the worse thing for someone trying to lose weight since the pain stops the moving. Most people don't know that about the soy protein either took me a lot of research to figure it all out. Oh well, everyone have a great day! Be glad you figured it out some of us are a bit hard headed.