Only meal replacement shakes. Is it possible?

Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you feel you need enforced portion sizes, maybe something like NutriSystem could help to mentally get used to smaller portions. Also, get smaller dishes and don't cook enough for you to easily go back for seconds.

Along these lines........even 21 Day Fix would be better than meal replacement shakes. Look this up on Pinterest. There's no need to buy expensive containers, you can make your own using dollar store containers.

Anyway - another idea is pre-made frozen food (Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice, etc)......these can help you get started. Plan for snacks.....fruit is a good option.

Learning portion control is going to be key for keeping your weight in check. You will need to develop these skills eventually.
  • elopez1998
    elopez1998 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    High protein and fiber foods. Eating every 2-3 hours but staying within your calorie count.

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really answer the question, but is it really that bad to binge eat veggies? Like... I realize that doesn't solve the mental block that makes you feel like you need to keep eating, but you can really only eat so many veggies and the caloric impact on that must be small no? My hubby loves salad and would eat salad every day but it needs to be a serving size bowl large. Like what I would serve 4 people with leftovers. And he doesn't use dressing beyond balsamic vinegar so it's not adding too many calories but his take is "if he has to eat salad he wants a tonne of it!". I figure it can't hurt?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    This doesn't really answer the question, but is it really that bad to binge eat veggies? Like... I realize that doesn't solve the mental block that makes you feel like you need to keep eating, but you can really only eat so many veggies and the caloric impact on that must be small no? My hubby loves salad and would eat salad every day but it needs to be a serving size bowl large. Like what I would serve 4 people with leftovers. And he doesn't use dressing beyond balsamic vinegar so it's not adding too many calories but his take is "if he has to eat salad he wants a tonne of it!". I figure it can't hurt?

Nah, certainly not unhealthy. You could just look upon that as volumetric eating. Whether it harms his goals depends on the calories, same as any other food.

To OP, if you really like the idea of liquid food but want it to be cheaper and better tasting and not so extreme, why not just eat more soup? Soup is a significant part of my diet, it's filling, low calorie, cheap as chips, easy to make and you can tweak the macros to suit any eating plan. I wouldn't be happy eating it more than once a day, though, unless I'm ill.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm having a horrible time with portion control. Even with my veggies, fibers and proteins. I am constantly over eating. Which I know is all me.

I know the food scald game and use it but always go back for more even though I shouldn't.

I was hoping to use meal shakes as a reset for a week or two.

What is the food scald game?

Edited to add: I just realized you likely meant "food scale game." ;)

Thought there was some new 'thing' where you deliberately overcook any leftovers so they taste nasty or something. :)

I can also recommend simply eating more slowly. You eat because you're hungry. You need to give incoming food enough time for your brain to register that fact and turn off the holy-crap-I'm-starving signal. If you eat too quickly you can easily overeat before your brain gets a chance to recognize that you're eating at all. :)
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think shakes can work for some people, but if you enjoy food (and if you're going back for seconds it sounds like you do), the likelihood is that you'll end up having shakes (which are quite calorific as they are) AND then a load of food. I think trying to slowly and kindly change your habits might work better - can you only prepare what fits into your calories so there's no going back for seconds? That works for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Absurd idea. I highly advise you to eat food and try to exercise self control.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    My mom is doing a supervised medical weight loss program like this right now. It's extreme (only 800 cals/day despite her height of 5'10"), but she's managing. She needs to do it because she *desperately* needs knee replacement surgery and hasn't been able to lose weight any other way. I think she knows it's a short term fix, as it's an unsustainable crash diet. But it's working very well for her in the short term. In the last 12 weeks, she has lost 50 lbs. She still has 90 to go before she can get the surgery though, so I guess we'll see if she's able to make it on this diet for that long.

*TL;DR*: you probably shouldn't do it unless you need to crash diet for some reason, but know that it's not sustainable and you may gain all the weight back
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Why would you deprive yourself like that? Healthy weight loss takes time and has a greater chance of staying off when done the correct way by giving your body the nutrients it needs to survive. Everyone wants this magic remedy and are so impatient with the process and work you put in to get the pounds off. Suggestion....eat lean meats, fruit, veggies, whole grains, lots of water and exercise!!!! There you go, good luck! You have teeth for a reason, to chew!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    ChipChocolate, What exactly is your Mom eating for 800 calories? I wish her the best in her upcoming knee surgery. Some docs say they can do knee surgery at any weight and do not advise their patients to lose weight beforehand. So her doc must be good.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No.no.no. you obviously have lessons to learn n retrain yourself with food which will atill be there after 2 weeks of drinking crap shakes, being moody and annoyed with the world.
    Lots of companies deliver healthy portion sized meals to you door. Try that for few weeks to get used to portion sizes. Bit expensive but least you can see taste and chew your meals! Some even come so u can make them which helps train you