How to lose like 70 pounds in a month

Options
2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you're morbidly obese you can lose about 20lbs a month under doctor's supervision. 70lbs you can't.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic and needing to lose around 70 pounds as soon as possible

Um. I'd say the quickest you can lose is about 30lbs in a month, so around 3 months for 70lbs and it would take a LOT of dedication and hard work. I lost 21lbs in 6 weeks and only exercised for 15 days during that period of time so it doesn't necessarily take a minimum of 6 months...
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose a great deal of weight in a short amount of time and do it in a healthy manner.
    In 63 days or 9 weeks I have lost 38 lbs which is 4.2 lbs a week.
    I have only been doing minimal exercise since day 49 of about 300 calories a day.
    I have been eating on average about 1600 calories a day.

I am morbidly obese being 5' 11@ 317 lbs now 279 lbs.

I have ate a balanced diet.
    This means you cannot simply cut back on the foods that got you where you are at!

I have been cutting my carbs from the 300 allotted to about 160 on average.
    Those carbs I do eat are complex and I graduate them through the day.
    Most at breakfast and lunch and very low at dinner.

I have concentrated on removing the sodium from my diet to stay under the 2300 mg suggested and it takes a lot of perseverance and pains taking daily preparation.

I haven't really been tired or hungry and if you will stick to it your cravings will disappear after a week or two because your blood sugar will have flattened out and if you are only answering to true hunger eating cues dieting becomes a breeze.

I have been able to drop my second Diabetic medication since day 26 which was 5mg of Glipizide twice a day.

I still take the maximum of Metformin which is 1000 mg twice a day and I have Blood Pressure and Cholesterol medications as well.

I see my doctor in 20 days or so and I am sure these remaining medications will be adjusted as I can tell from my daily readings.

It is not easy!

YOU WILL HAVE TO COMMIT!

You have a choice and that choice is...

You can quit making your body the enemy because it needs a little weight maintenance
    or
    You just take another pill and continue down the spiral you are on as you eat more and more to support ever increasingly stronger medications.

I worry about your question. I didn't start out to lose 4 pounds a week.

I did however start this with a determination to succeed and through painstaking logging and watching every aspect and nuance of my diet did that 4 lbs a week happen.

There is a fundamental question you have to settle in your mind.....

Your body is not the enemy!

Your body is not depriving you of cheese cake or fast food because you are on a diet!

rather

Cheese cake and fast food is depriving you of your health and more livable and enjoyable life.

You may add me as a friend if you wish.
    My diary is open to friends and you might find it helpful.

how does the fact that you lost 16lbs/month have anything to do with the OP being able to lose 70?????
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic 1 or 2 I gather 2 what meds are you in as this will need to be taken into account that you may lose weight slower
    Tbh you didn't put 70lbs on in a month I think it will take a year to 14 months if your 100% on plan logging weighing everything
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

If your purpose for weight loss is to improve your health then you want to lose in a healthy way that you can sustain long term (life). It will do you no good to lose the weight fast and then regain it because you are burned out on extreme things.
    Healthy weight loss means no more than 2 lbs a week or 8 lbs a month- a 1,000 calories less per day than you are currently eating. If you are 50 lbs or less overweight then aim for 1 lb a week or 4 lbs a month- 500 calories less than you are currently eating.
    70 lbs in a month is not really possible. Could you eat about 8,000 calories less a day? 8,000 calories would be more than double the average Thanksgiving dinner. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calories-eat-thanksgiving/story?id=27168135 Not realistic.

You should plan for something like 9 months to a year for that kind of goal and eat a reasonable calorie goal. It takes time to change.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    April 1st already?
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Best way to loose 70 lbs in a month would be to cut off one of your legs. Orrr you could wait 6months to a year with exercise and diet to loose 70lbs.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    April 1st already?

^^This.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your doctor probably does not expect you to lose 70 pounds in a month. Unless you have an arm & a leg surgically removed, it really is not possible.

BUT you can start moving more, tracking your food intake to eat at a deficit. That means you can do things today that will improve your health & well-being. At this point, an improvement is good and staying the same is bad, no?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you "need" to lose weight quickly, then perhaps there is a meal plan your doctor can PRESCRIBE to you. It will likely include vitamin injections and weekly check-ups to make sure you are okay. A diet this low in calories wouldn't be a do-it-yourself-project. Promoting very low calorie diets is also against MFP guidelines.

If you "want" to lose weight quickly, set your weekly weight loss goal as high as MFP will allow and eat at the minimum calories (likely 1200). This number helps to ensure adequate nutrition. Then add exercise & eat back a portion of those calories too. This is healthy weight loss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose 70lbs in a month is through liposuction or amputation.

You should be aiming to lose .6-1% of your body fat per week. With 70lbs to lose, a 2lb/week rate of loss would be borderline aggressive but doable. You would then decrease that to 1-1.5lbs/week when you have about 50lbs left to lose, and decrease it again to .5lb/week when you have about 15lbs left to lose. So realistically, you're probably looking at a year, if not longer.

She wouldn't be able to lose 70 lbs by liposuction because even surgically they understand that removing that much fat from the body at once is very dangerous, but yeah.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    - Apple cider vinegar
    - No carbs (especially sugar)
    - Swap all meals for shakes
    - Only eat when there's a full moon
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cjs112176 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    And then what happens after the month? You go back to eating the same way that got you 70 lbs overweight?

Have you started learning about how to eat at your correct calorie limit yet?

Not trying to high jack this thread but could you please elaborate on eating at ones correct calorie limit please? Im new to MFP

We all have different calorie requirements based on height, weight, age, gender, and activity level. There is also a maximum weekly weight loss guideline .......1% of our current weight.

OP - wants a number much higher than 1%. Really fast weight loss isn't healthy weight loss because she will not be meeting nutritional minimums.

If you plug these stats into MFP you get your "personalized" goal. If you jack up the weekly weight loss goal, then you get 1200. 1200 is more appropriate for elderly, very sedentary, and very petite women. It's a default based on nutritional minimums.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whoa girl. Lets get realistic here. 70 lbs in a month would be insane. I can't imagine what a toll that would take on the body. You'd probably damage your health more than the diabetes. Or it would cause all kinds of havoc with the diabetes. Have you considered visiting a registered dietitian who has experience with patients with your health issues?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You don't lose 70 Lbs in a month...even the most aggressive medically supervised program isn't going to allow that to happen.

I seriously doubt your doctor expects you to lose 70 Lbs in a month...your doctor likely wants you to start losing weight and wants to see progress. I would suggest seeing if your doctor will give you a referral to a registered dietitian.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Whoa girl. Lets get realistic here. 70 lbs in a month would be insane. I can't imagine what a toll that would take on the body. You'd probably damage your health more than the diabetes. Or it would cause all kinds of havoc with the diabetes. Have you considered visiting a registered dietitian who has experience with patients with your health issues?

The toll it would take would be to run 10 hours a day every day for a whole month while water fasting the entire time, and even that doesn't guarantee 70 lbs.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Love these threads where someone posts a crazy question as their first post then never returns to answer any questions posed. Lots of good info here, though, for others to understand the dynamics of healthy weight loss.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    - Apple cider vinegar
    - No carbs (especially sugar)
    - Swap all meals for shakes
    - Only eat when there's a full moon

Yeah. So sad my thread got shut down. Lots of good ideas in there.