Lent

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So I have a religious lent coming up in a few days. What I give up is carbohydrates. Completely. Do you guys have any ideas for foods with no carbs (not low carb)? Please don't tell me it's unhealthy because I already know. Thank you

I seem to remember that last year they deleted all Lent threads (religious talk?), so I don't know whether this one will last.

I always observe Lent and give something up (and add something), but for me it's important that it have some religious significance or at least not be mostly about something else (like dieting). I do like food-related ones, as I think of the sacrifice and why I am doing it when I think about the thing I would otherwise be eating, and I also like to focus on living/eating simply, so may give up sweets and meat. Coffee was a good one for me, which I've done, but that's because I tend to drink a lot of coffee so thought about it a lot.

For me, carbs wouldn't be a good one, since I couldn't make that related to the religious significance at all -- indeed, some of the more indulgent foods are the ones without carbs (rack of lamb, prime rib, etc.) and it would feel like dieting to me. Beyond that, many basic, healthy, inexpensive foods are carbs (oats, legumes), and others are important for health and good things to be eating (like especially vegetables). So I don't really get this as a Lenten sacrifice, but whatever works for you, of course. (I would assume that you also do other things like related to prayer and almsgiving, if it is a religious thing for you. IMO too much focus tends to be on the fasting part and not the other portions.)

Anyway, as others have said, foods without carbs are basically meat or fats like olive oil, butter, perhaps cheese is close enough. Even eggs have a small number of carbs.

Why would you do something you know is unhealthy for Lent?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I did have pancakes this morning! (Pancake/Shrove Tuesday.) My assistant usually brings in paczkis, but I don't think she did today.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You realize we actually need SOME sugar / carbs for brain function, right? No?

Okay.

inb4 the body can make glucose from protein.

Yeah, but our bodies can only make so much and our brain uses 120 g of glucose per day.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~brandt/Chem330/EndocrineNotes/Chapter_5_Glucose.pdf

The bare minimum carb intake even for those on a very very serious ketogenic diet is 30g of carbohydrates per day.
  • delisha527
    delisha527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    pickles!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I have a religious lent coming up in a few days. What I give up is carbohydrates. Completely. Do you guys have any ideas for foods with no carbs (not low carb)? Please don't tell me it's unhealthy because I already know. Thank you

Completely? Meat and fat it is then...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Rice and beans would be more true to the goals of Lent, while donating the grocery savings to the poor.

But hey, if you want to spend more money and live entirely on meat and pretend it's about God, I guess that's an option.

It's been a long time since I went to church, but I seem to remember as a kid that the point of Lent is to NOT eat meat... at least on Fridays, correct?
    This seems super backwards to me.
    I think the meat thing is mostly just for Fridays, but it's the idea that meat is expensive and was part of celebrations and giving it up was humbling and somber.

After 13 years of Catholic school, the best thing I learned was that the no meat rule came from a fishermen's lobby in medieval Rome. It must be true because my high school History of the Church teacher told me it's true. (Please don't prove me wrong. I love this story too much to give it up.)

Would be interesting to know what kind of amusing stories are behind giving up oil and cooked food for these same groups! Not trying to prove you wrong, just giving you additional amusing options to contemplate! Wonder if they had a firewood lobby back then.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I'm not catholic, but I used to work with someone who gave up chocolate for lent.
    Maybe you could just cut out things like potatoes, chips, breads, crackers, and pasta, but still eat vegetables with your meat, plus lo carb fruits and cheeses.This seems more doable.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So you eat the bunny ears first or start with the feet?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Tail first - then the ears
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Tail first - then the ears

No. You pick off the candy eyes and eat those first. Eat the rest of the bunny as you choose (I start with ears and prefer hollow to solid [bad teeth]).
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Ears FIRST!!! Anything else is inhumane!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yikes! The thought of giving up all grains, vegetables and fruits as well as anything with fibre or sugar in it (beans, milk, cheese, etc.) sounds awful and not what Lent is intended for. That'll make you sick!

Lent isn't a way for people to lose the weight they want to - is that what you're trying to do?
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just jumping on the band wagon, I don't think I could do it. It considered it, not giving up carbs from fruit and veg but that from bread, cereals and cakes- why? Because these are the foods I'm greedy with. Giving up carbs for me, would be like giving up gluttony! However, I'm not able to give them up after much reflection!
  • Avetotustuus
    Avetotustuus Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It is worth considering that during Lent, Catholics are expected to abstain from eating meat which might make this a challenging (and perhaps unhealthy) sacrifice to observe during Lent in light of what you are still going to be eating.