Shoes for lifting

Options
I use Nike trainers when I workout but lately I've been feeling like the air soles are making my stance "squishy"...if that makes sense.... So, what shoes would be better for squatting and deadlifting? I don't even feel like I'm lifting heavy right now so I don't feel like its a good time to invest in those expensive deadlifting shoes.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    #taylorgang
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Converse. I bought knock-off ones at Wal-Mart for $11.88.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Converse. Anything with a stiff, flat sole.
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Would Converses still be comfortable for other exercises like lunges?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Would Converses still be comfortable for other exercises like lunges?

I wear them the entire time I lift, except squats. Then I wear my squat shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like my Nike Metcon 2s for day to day stuff in the gym, including lifting...they provide a good solid base for things like squats, deadlifts, Olympic movements, etc...they are also nice and light for doing things like box jumps and whatnot. Reebok Nano would be another good option, but I find the Nike to be more comfortable.

• goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks for your input everyone
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Converse or Vans. Or something similar if you're not into brand names.
    Great for strength workouts. NOT good for cardio. So bring two sets!
  • caseypehrson
    caseypehrson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with wearing converse, that's my current lifting shoe. I'm also a fan of squatting and deadlifting in socks. It's a thing! It is so much easier to stabilize yourself and "connect" with the floor.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I wear my old "dead" running shoes, the ones that don't have any "squish" left.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wear converse or go barefoot
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    This depends on you really. Simply get something that has flat and hard soles. This is the reason why Taylors are pretty popular with lifters. This is crucial when you're lifting heavy and doing DL's Squats etc. A running shoe is definitely no good.
    There isn't any plus side of using an expensive olympic shoe apart from the high heeled ones that help you with your ankle mobility but some argue this hinders your performance in the long run. I haven't really seen any studies about this though.
    Socks only is a solid option too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I wear my old "dead" running shoes, the ones that don't have any "squish" left.

This is what I did when I started out. They were walking shoes, not running, but the same principle.

For deadlifts, I got some $5 water shoes from Walmart. I'm still using them 4+ years later. I squatted for a while in them, but I've since moved on to Adidas Powerlifts for them.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    This depends on you really. Simply get something that has flat and hard soles. This is the reason why Taylors are pretty popular with lifters. This is crucial when you're lifting heavy and doing DL's Squats etc. A running shoe is definitely no good.
    There isn't any plus side of using an expensive olympic shoe apart from the high heeled ones that help you with your ankle mobility but some argue this hinders your performance in the long run. I haven't really seen any studies about this though.
    Socks only is a solid option too.

I would say for your average lifter, probably not at all important...but all of my power lifting friends wear dedicated lifters to train and for meets.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I bought Adidas crossfit lifter 2.0 for $120 on sale from $170. They're white with bright neon yellow, so not my first choice but they make the difference for squats and bench.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Anyone have the Rebok Men's Crossfit Nano 6.0 Cross-trainers?
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options
    LeoT0917 wrote: »

I tried them...I like Nike Metcon better...mostly a fit thing...I like the way Nanos look though.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I tried them...I like Nike Metcon better...mostly a fit thing...I like the way Nanos look though.

Thanks! I'll have to try them both before buying. I have a wide foot, so have to select on a case by case basis.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

@LeoT0917

I use them. They are a little flatter than Metcons. I use both of them but have dedicated lifters for squat and snatch
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like my Nike Metcon 2s for day to day stuff in the gym, including lifting...they provide a good solid base for things like squats, deadlifts, Olympic movements, etc...they are also nice and light for doing things like box jumps and whatnot. Reebok Nano would be another good option, but I find the Nike to be more comfortable.

I think the Metcons are best bet for OP if she's looking for something flatter, less squishy, and for general lifting to include squats and deadlifts. I will point out that she mentioned not wanting "expensive deadlift shoes" and Metcons are pretty dang expensive, IMO. May want to consider that if you're wanting cheaper options.

OP, if you're willing to change shoes during your workout (like I do), you can find a good deal on flat shoes for deadlifting (and possibly squatting if you like flat shoes for that) here. They're technically wrestling shoes, but they'll last, they have a flat sole, they lace up high for support, and they're comfortable enough.