My A1C not good

Options
My recent A1c is just over the limit. With diabetes running in my family, I have to get it down.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I take cinnamon for my blood sugar. Exercising and losing weight really helps bring it down too.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    my sil went from pre-diabetic to no meds by losing 10% of her body weight. I am so damn proud of her!1:drinker:

I am not sure why we have to wait for a death threat to start a healthier lifestyle (mine was cholesterol over 300!!:sad: ) but whatever it takes!!

Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My recent A1c is just over the limit. With diabetes running in my family, I have to get it down.

How high? Did they do a glucose tolerance test, too? What has your doctor/medical professional recommended?

Kris
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options

How high? Did they do a glucose tolerance test, too? What has your doctor/medical professional recommended?

Kris
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    My daughter is Type 1 diabetic. Exercise does wonders for her blood sugars. You would also be surprised how important a daily eating routine helps. Eating meals around the same times each day and exercising around the same times. Apparently our bodies need routine. Lots of good sleep at night is also very important in keeping blood sugars in line. Different foods are metabolized differently by each individual--you may be eating something that the average person would not consider a threat to blood sugars but may cause a hike in your blood sugars---checking your blood sugars more often--especially after eating may help pinpoint what's driving up your numbers.
  • franklingirl
    franklingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No the Dr. hasn't ordered a glucose toleracne test yet but I did have one several years ago. I have gained some weight the past
    4 years and got away from regular exercise so I am back to trying to get back on track. The A1c was just over the limit but the Dr.
    knows my Mother had diabetes and she had strokes until she passed away. He wants me to take my blood/sugar only once a day and then I go back to him in 3 months. I have lost 3 lbs in about 8 days so we shall see.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You keep on top of it--my A1c came in at 6.9, and in just a few months I've got it down to 5.7 with no meds--exercise and weight loss. You can do it--I'm glad you've caught it early!

Kris
  • franklingirl
    Options
    Thanks! I am working on it. I know what my Mom went through and she didn't take care of herself so I am trying. I know I can do it and I have a lot of support from my family.
  • franklingirl
    Options
    Haven't been on in a while due to various reasons. I have checked my numbers everyday as the dr. wanted me to and the dr. office
    ran them today from my meter. My average was 99 over 123 days and I have lost 22 lbs so the dr. was really proud of me. He doesn't want to do another A1c until Jan. but for me to continue what I am doing because it is working. I am sleeping better at night and have been taking a cinnamon tablet everyday and drinking glucerna, when I remember it. I really think the cinnamon is helping with my numbers with watching my carbs too. I have Dawn Phonomeon and some morning I still have high numbers but since I have been on the cinnamon, they don't seem to be as high as they once were in the AM.