Pre-Workout: Will is make you gain weight/hurt weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• jasminelemae03
    jasminelemae03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a cup of black coffee tonight and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated. :) And feel free to keep posting your answers, tips, and opinions. I'm here for it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 I'm trying really hard to avoid carbs. Maybe not the best idea? I'm doing this by myself so I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Just always hear that carbs are bad.

Carbs are just one of three macro-nutrients...they aren't the enemy...there are a whole host of highly nutritious whole food carbs out there.

Do some research on "blue zones"...they are some of the healthiest populations in the world and eat diets relatively high in carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates aren't the issue...over feeding combined with not moving much is the issue.
  • jasminelemae03
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Everything you said makes sense. I have been pretty strict about my calorie intake and even feel like I did the right thing when I come in significantly lower than what the apps says. Maybe not the best plan now that I'm reading your post though...lol When you started adding more calories were they mostly proteins, fruits and veggies, or just a mixture of things?
  • jasminelemae03
    Options
    @Afura and @quiksylver296 I do a half hour of walking/jogging in the morning and then I do a workout plan that alternates cardio days (usually 20-40 mintues) with resistance days (core, arms, full body) that runs 6 days per week. I'm averaging between 2100-2500 calories per day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check the calorie count on the pre-workout and factor it into your daily calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Everything you said makes sense. I have been pretty strict about my calorie intake and even feel like I did the right thing when I come in significantly lower than what the apps says. Maybe not the best plan now that I'm reading your post though...lol When you started adding more calories were they mostly proteins, fruits and veggies, or just a mixture of things?

You should be hitting your targets, not coming in significantly lower...your target is already a target for weight loss...and that's before exercise. Basically you asked MFP to give you a deficit...and then you underfeed that target and make a bigger deficit...and then you exercise and make an even bigger deficit...yeah, I'd be pretty lethargic...you're not providing your body with any energy. Given this information, I'd suggest that you just make sure that you are netting your calorie goal with some allowance for estimation error. Part of being healthy and fit is providing the body with adequate energy to perform.

My proteins and fats remain relatively constant whether I'm maintaining or losing save for I get around 0.6 grams per body weight in protein in maintenance and closer to 0.8 grams per Lb of body weight losing. Carbohydrates are my flex...I don't avoid them or low carb, they're just my flex. I eat vegetarian quite often, particularly in maintenance...that kind of diet tends toward being higher carb.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Think about yourself and hunger patterns and how you and your body reacts during day with your routine.
    For me personally, my high energy time is around 11am and luckily i get to work out then.
    But im also hungry when i wake up.
    I have a tiny breakfast like a boiked egg n apple with black coffee.
    I get to work and have higher carb w protein meal snack an hour-45 min before work out.
    Have smaller lunch, small afternoon snack, bigger dinner. I enjoy food at night so save main meal for then (with room for a few choc!)
    When i trained lunch AND after work i did similar but ensured i had small carb afternoon snack w protein. Plus black coffee.
    I cant fast and work out esp if wanting to perform resistance or weight training. Some can.
    I always try do my weight training first leave cardio later as im stronger in morning n need strength for that. But again, its personal to you and how you feel n what you can do to make it sustainable.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 I'm trying really hard to avoid carbs. Maybe not the best idea? I'm doing this by myself so I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Just always hear that carbs are bad.

Carbs GOOD! You need carbs as energy! I eat 50% carbs to fuel my workouts.
  • jaimeolive
    jaimeolive Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Very possibly.. it depends what is it in. I have the perfect podcast for you https://atpscience.com/episode-25/
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a cup of black coffee tonight and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated. :) And feel free to keep posting your answers, tips, and opinions. I'm here for it!

Be careful, depending on how you react to caffeine and what time you work out you could be up a good part of the night.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I always carry like propel water with me, and a protein bar which I eat in the middle of my workout it really helps me out a lot!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    C4 blue fizz pre-workout, which is the kind I use, has five calories per serving. It says so right on the label. How much pre-workout were you planning on drinking that you're worried it's going to make you gain weight?
  • jasminelemae03
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    C4 blue fizz pre-workout, which is the kind I use, has five calories per serving. It says so right on the label. How much pre-workout were you planning on drinking that you're worried it's going to make you gain weight?

It wasn't about using a lot. It was more so not knowing what it was (composition, purpose, intended effects, side effects, etc.). But thank you!