Adding simple foods i.e. Pepper, egg, apple

Options
Hello - newbie here. I am using the iPhone app and cannot figure out how to add simple foods such as pepper, egg, apple etc. It seems that whenever I try to add a food, it is asking me to input brand, serving size etc...

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Without the serving size there'd be no way to determine the calories - it needs to know how much of something you had to determine the calories for that amount. But you don't need a brand. You can always use USDA for the "brand" if you're having issues.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For simple foods like that, try searching "Usda green pepper" or "Usda apple" That usually gives the standard nutrition for fruits and veggies. You'll have to know at least how much you ate before you can enter it, though. Using a scale would really help!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I eat apples and eggs all of the time...if I'm not somewhere to weigh it, when I enter apple I get options like "1 medium apple". I know it's not exact but it is at least close enough for that entry. Same with eggs.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ioanahance wrote: »
    Hello - newbie here. I am using the iPhone app and cannot figure out how to add simple foods such as pepper, egg, apple etc. It seems that whenever I try to add a food, it is asking me to input brand, serving size etc...

Are you actually trying to create your own food items instead of searching the food database? If so, you don't have to create your own items, you can search the Food Database by text or barcode and add most items to one of the Meal slots (Breakfast, Lunch, etc.) that way. For example, to add an apple to Breakfast, tap the plus button then Food then choose Breakfast. In the box, enter "apple raw" and press the search icon (magnifying glass) and it will search the main Food Database and display many choices.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/80938-how-do-i-add-a-food-to-my-food-diary-
  • ioanahance
    ioanahance Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go to "Meals, Recipes, Foods" and click on Foods. I go at the top search field and type "apple" or "egg". It says nothing found??? But it gives me the option at the bottom to "Create Food" by entering brand, serving size etc but that's not what I need. I just want to select "1 medium apple" from the database. Except I don't know how to search the database?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ioanahance wrote: »
    I go to "Meals, Recipes, Foods" and click on Foods. I go at the top search field and type "apple" or "egg". It says nothing found??? But it gives me the option at the bottom to "Create Food" by entering brand, serving size etc but that's not what I need. I just want to select "1 medium apple" from the database. Except I don't know how to search the database?

Because it's not in your "meals" yet. Serach for it under the default "recent". It should search the database.

Pro-tip..eventually, maybe, you might want to start weighing your apples so you can get the exact portion.
  • ioanahance
    ioanahance Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used the web version and it all worked beautifully, pretty self explanatory. It's like something is wrong with my app. I will continue to poke around. Thanks everyone