OMG! Seriously?

Options
I put a post on here yesterday looking for new friends since I've been away from MFP for awhile. What's with these guys friending you than try to engage you in flirting....? Gross. If you are looking for a female friend, and you are a female yourself or a man who is polite and considerate of women I would like to be friends with you and support you through your weight-loss journey and get some support through mine as well.
I've lost 43 pounds and would like to lose another 40 to 50 pounds.

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    LOL! In the beginning I had a few like that including one guy who only wanted to talk about exercising in the nude. Buh-bye! I learned that it's better to look for posts in the Exercise or Recipe forums to find friends with similar interests. A general post in the introduction thread can definitely bring out a few less than desirables.

Friend me if you want. I'm friendly and safe. :D
  • LisaBrown1094
    LisaBrown1094 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'll take that as a warning! Hi, I'm Lisa and I have lost 22 pounds since the end of December. I've got 50 more to go, which seems staggering, but this is a lifestyle change for me so I don't care how long it takes! I'd love some support, too, so please friend me if you wish. It would be nice to go through this journey with pals.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me.. I promise I'm polite, respectful and happily married. I also like to participate on my friends posts..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This is why I have never asked for friends. I have read and participated in the forums and built my Friends List based on people I have interacted with who I feel will be helpful and enrich my experience. It is small, but I feel I have a relationship with each of my friends.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's the internet. Are you really that shocked?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been messaged at least once by mr pulled a muscle in my leg and the krav mcgraw lady grabbed his manly bits... He's like the furniture here sorta.. cept no one uses him.. for anything.. lol -- i usually end conversations once i am asked if im single.. its never really been something i felt was applicable to MFP.. and i usually ignore obsessive over complimenters who end every message with "you are seriously hot" or "but yeah, you are cute tho".. or anything to that degree, once is fine, i say thank you.. after that.. go away.

Is that why you won't talk to me anymore??????

J/K

But yeah, this isn't a pick up joint. I still don't get the friends thing so I don't bother. Sorry that is your first impression but this does seem to be a decent place to learn about weight loss and whatnot.
  • nitakb11
    nitakb11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! Everyone

Wow, I have never experienced that. Hmm..

I'm happy to offer support to anyone on this fitness journey we're on :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been messaged at least once by mr pulled a muscle in my leg and the krav mcgraw lady grabbed his manly bits... He's like the furniture here sorta.. cept no one uses him.. for anything.. lol -- i usually end conversations once i am asked if im single.. its never really been something i felt was applicable to MFP.. and i usually ignore obsessive over complimenters who end every message with "you are seriously hot" or "but yeah, you are cute tho".. or anything to that degree, once is fine, i say thank you.. after that.. go away.

J/K

But yeah, this isn't a pick up joint. I still don't get the friends thing so I don't bother. Sorry that is your first impression but this does seem to be a decent place to learn about weight loss and whatnot.

Are you sure? Have you seen all those "would you @#$%$# the person above" threads with thousands of replies? I find those to be pretty stupid - someone asking a legit question gets 3 replies, something so pathetic gets 1000's. But there it is.
  • MissHempy
    MissHempy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tell them if they don't have a slim/fit body, fat wallet and an IQ of 170 then you are not interested. That should sort out a few of the parasitic types (not pointing to any particular gender, race, etc).
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Some people like to chat, some people don't... doesn't MFP have an option to unfriend and block?
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been messaged by some serious creepers on here lately...one of whom thought it would be cute to make a joke about physically threatening me if I didn't keep working out. (It was actually worse than this, but I'm leaving out details on purpose.) If I could have reported him, I would have, but you can only do that when someone misbehaves in the forums, not when they randomly send inappropriate messages. There have been a few others who tried to flirt, which was annoying, but they seemed nice enough otherwise, so I just ignored their attempts and hoped that they would get the hint.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

J/K

Are you sure? Have you seen all those "would you @#$%$# the person above" threads with thousands of replies? I find those to be pretty stupid - someone asking a legit question gets 3 replies, something so pathetic gets 1000's. But there it is.

Fair point. OP, stay out of the Chit Chat section. Gets weird in there.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

J/K

Its true @Tacklewasher ... all that flirting you did, i heard just too much about your beef jerky

Beef jerky???

I made smoked salmon. Don't remember any beef jerky.

:)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been messaged by some serious creepers on here lately...one of whom thought it would be cute to make a joke about physically threatening me if I didn't keep working out. (It was actually worse than this, but I'm leaving out details on purpose.) If I could have reported him, I would have, but you can only do that when someone misbehaves in the forums, not when they randomly send inappropriate messages. There have been a few others who tried to flirt, which was annoying, but they seemed nice enough otherwise, so I just ignored their attempts and hoped that they would get the hint.

actually thats not true, you can report people for their personal messages as well. Just direct message a mod.
    This. There have been at least two threads over the past 2-3 months made by female members who've been threatened/harassed asking how to report it and, as far as I know the mods made pretty quick work of it.

This also works both ways. I'm a very happily married male who never flirts here, and have been on the receiving end of some fairly sick PMs. I just delete them and move on. If I'm ever threatened I'll take a screen shot of it and send it off to a mod.

I'm here for my health and well being, not cheap thrills. :)