Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Juicing?

Options
sweetpea813
sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
My husband thinks that juicing is much better than eating fruits and veggies. I eat my fruits and vegetables daily and track my calories. My husband is a terrible eater but thinks since he juices, this will help with his health. He always asks me if I want a juice but I decline because I don't like drinking my calories and he puts 4 carrots, 2 apples, spinach, kale, cucumber and some pineapple in the juicer. My feeling is that all the good fiber and stuff is getting discarded and he is just drinking the sugar with maybe some vitamins. What is everyone's thoughts on juicing? He says it gives him energy but I think he's getting a sugar rush.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Personally, I make smoothies now (I don't like the waste, or losing the fibre). If he's happy and healthy, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't say it's better than eating the fruits and vegetables, but if he won't otherwise eat them, at least it's being consumed. There are a lot of micronutrients in fruits and veg. Does he otherwise eat a varied diet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on the juicer...a lot of juicers will maintain much of the fiber content. I'd personally rather eat though. Also, depending on how many of those he's having, it could be much more calories than he thinks.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Personally, I make smoothies now (I don't like the waste, or losing the fibre). If he's happy and healthy, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't say it's better than eating the fruits and vegetables, but if he won't otherwise eat them, at least it's being consumed. There are a lot of micronutrients in fruits and veg. Does he otherwise eat a varied diet?

His diet is TERRIBLE. A lot of eating out. He has already been diagnosed with HBP and he's about 35 pounds overweight with a stressful job. I just feel like he thinks this juicing negates all of his unhealthy choices.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    a terrible diet is not going to be changed or made healthier by juicing. one isnt going to cancel out the other. I mean everything in moderation and if that is how he gets fruits and veggies in fine. but juicing isnt going to make him healthier unless he changes other aspects of his diet. losing weight can help get the BP under control.stress doesnt help BP either. juicing isnt a cure all, although some think it is.
  • Hensonator1084
    Hensonator1084 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The thing is with juicing you remove all the fiber from the fruit therfore causing sugar spikes, also need the fiber its the best bits
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Is he juicing or blending? http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing-vs-blending-facts/

Juicing isnt all bad. IMO blending is better.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    A vitamix makes a great juice/smoothy and it has all the fiber. You can also throw in some protein powder or peanut butter and you have a great meal to go.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    A vitamix makes a great juice/smoothy and it has all the fiber. You can also throw in some protein powder or peanut butter and you have a great meal to go.

We have a Blendtek, but the same idea.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

We have a Blendtek, but the same idea.

Even my Ninja does fine, though admittedly I haven't tried making a raw carrot smoothie.........
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy.

I consider juicing a terrible waste of time and food, not to mention generally not appetizing. My ex-husband was a juicing fanatic and I humored him for four years by doffing his disgusting concoctions that he raved were ever-so-delicious. We clearly weren't tasting the same thing, and I never did like cleaning up after it.

I'd rather eat foods I enjoy .