• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    How much is 4 plates per side?

how big are the plates

45s ;) (I was being ornery)

:lol:

It's kind of crazy, we have 25kg plates and not being used to kg vs lbs yet I was convinced i had lost strength. Then i found out that they are 55lbs!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How much is 4 plates per side?

how big are the plates

45s ;) (I was being ornery)

:lol:

It's kind of crazy, we have 25kg plates and not being used to kg vs lbs yet I was convinced i had lost strength. Then i found out that they are 55lbs!

Right?!? Kg plates mess with my head. I started working with kg plates before my meet last weekend. 25kg plate looks so little, but doesn't feel so little! LOL
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    450-525
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think it depends so much on the machine. Machine weight is very different than barbell weight.
    I keep track of the weight I use on accessory lifts because I like to do the same or work to slowly progress (I'd probably do the same easy weight every time if I didn't). But if I walked into a different gym I might as well toss those numbers out the window, because different equipment can vary a lot.
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i can only do about 145-160 right now. 10 reps each set and about 10 sets.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer if they aren't teaching you the 4 big lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Get a new trainer if they aren't teaching you the 4 big lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press

That's kind of a big 'if' since she didn't mention anything about her workouts other than she leg presses.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    150 pounds x 150
  • jessef593
    Options

That's kind of a big 'if' since she didn't mention anything about her workouts other than she leg presses.

I realized It after I said it. I was mostly meaning that you're trainer should have you more focussed on free weight compound movements than what you can do on a fixed machine. Since there are plenty of people who can sloppily leg press hundreds of pounds but can't do a single squat

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options

I realized It after I said it. I was mostly meaning that you're trainer should have you more focussed on free weight compound movements than what you can do on a fixed machine. Since there are plenty of people who can sloppily leg press hundreds of pounds but can't do a single squat

I could never do squats because I couldn't handle the weight of the bar on my shoulders. I had a personal trainer who tried to help me with my form etc. ... but that bar just hurt.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Don't know. It's an accessory I haven't done in awhile. If I did it I'd just be trying to burn out my legs. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pounds though.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Yeah, I totally agree. It just seemed rather matter-of-fact for information that hadn't been provided. I'd be willing to speculate the same, however.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I could never do squats because I couldn't handle the weight of the bar on my shoulders. I had a personal trainer who tried to help me with my form etc. ... but that bar just hurt.

I wrap a towel around the bar pad and it really helps. Placement is key--make sure it's not on your neck or resting on a vertebrae.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I just used a leg press for the first time yesterday. Started at 180lbs but that was pretty easy so I'll probably add a few more plates next time.
  • fettujeanie
    fettujeanie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the plated leg press and currently do 3 sets of 10 at 600 lbs. I like my legs really strong though and don't wory about having thick thighs.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy who can do 300*10 on the sled but only about half that with the machine thing.
  • jessef593
    Options
    I'm a guy who can do 300*10 on the sled but only about half that with the machine thing.
    Ah the trust machine thing, can't live with it, can't live without it
  • RNsusieQ
    RNsusieQ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Low bar squats & the meaty shelf might help....

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-how-to-squat-properly/