Kilimanjaro!

Options
rankinsect
rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
Last week Sunday, I achieved one of my long-term goals, something that seemed impossible two years ago when I was morbidly obese - I reached Uhuru Peak, the highest point on the crater rim of Kibo, tallest of Kilimanjaro's three volcanic peaks and the highest point on the continent of Africa!

I've got more details on my MFP blog, but here are some photo highlights:

Myself, my friend and climbing partner, and our guides and porters (not including our chief guide who took the photo)
IMG_1243.jpg

Kibo after a fresh snowfall. This photo was taken at about halfway up Kilimanjaro.
IMG_1366.jpg

Sunrise over the crater rim
IMG_1416.jpg

My friend and I at Uhuru Peak, the Roof of Africa
IMG_1443.jpg

Looking out from Uhuru Peak, with a glacier and Mount Meru in the background (Meru is about 50 miles away, for scale)
IMG_1453.jpg

Receiving my summit certificate at the end of the journey
IMG_1472.jpg

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Awesome...I'd like to do that. I'll be in Tanzania over next Christmas but we'll be on various safaris for the duration of the trip...Kilimanjaro would be awesome.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    That's great! Thanks for sharing!
  • rankinsect
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Awesome...I'd like to do that. I'll be in Tanzania over next Christmas but we'll be on various safaris for the duration of the trip...Kilimanjaro would be awesome.

Ah, I would have liked to do more safari stuff but had to settle for a one-day trip to Tarangire national park. It would have been cool to get out to the Serengeti but wasn't going to fit with the rest of the trip. Even my one-day mini-safari was great, though, I am sure you're thoroughly enjoy a long safari as well!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Beautiful photos as well.
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I remember reading at some point that was your goal. Congratulations! That's awesome!
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a cool experience!
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3 Hooray, woohoo, jumping up and down clapping my hands. That is to say- I am so glad you have accomplished this goal.

I have been wondering where you were; and now I know- living your dream.

You are looking fantastic too.

I am so very very happy for you.

Cheers, h.
    The photos are breathtaking. Thanks for the blog link too.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congratulations What a great accomplishment.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wow! Really fantastic! Congratulations on your accomplishment!
  • Landofkim
    Landofkim Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are living the life you were meant to! What's next? Thanks for sharing your joy!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Damnit....now I have yet another thing on my to-do list. Now....Do I do it THIS summer or package it up with the white water rafting trip I want to do in the Atlas mountains on my sabbatical in a couple years? (http://www.waterbynature.com/morocco/hidden-morocco-rafting.html)

Anyway, looking forward to reading your blog! WAY TO GO! Pushing yourself, doing something amazing and out of your comfort zone...all of it. Do you have a before pic that youre willing to share?
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is fabulous. I would love to do something like this; I'll have to add it to my bucket list.

Amazing stuff. Well done you :)
  • khoj
    khoj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Amazing! What is next? Everest base camp?
  • rankinsect
    Options
    khoj wrote: »
    Amazing! What is next? Everest base camp?

I think my next adventure will be a scuba dive :smile: I don't have plans yet for another mountain but I would like to do some trekking in the Pacific Northwest, and maybe sometime do one of the treks to Machu Picchu.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Awesome - congrats! I'm planning a trek in early 2019. What did you do to "train"?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!