Drink more water they say!

Options
So I have a horrible habit of not drinking enough water. Its actually terrible - I'll get to dinner and realize I've had no liquid. Whoops. So I'm really, really trying to fix that.

However - for the past two weeks I've been increasing my water.. and I still have to pee every 5 minutes it feels like. Does this get better. Please tell me it does. I couldn't even make it the two hours up to the ski hill without pulling over to the side of the road and trudging through snow (much to the laughter of my partner as I sank to thigh deep)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How much are you drinking...you need to stay hydrated...that's it. If you're going every 5 minutes you are over hydrating which isn't good either.
  • RiderCG
    RiderCG Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I find the only way I actually drink water is through this one water bottle I have - it has a straw which I love for some reason.

I measured it out and I can fit three cups (like actual cups, not a glass) in it. I find I'm drinking about 4 of these throughout the day on average.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    It does get better...but it's pretty brutal at first. You definitely weren't drinking enough if you would go all day without any liquid. I like the general rule of taking your body weight, dividing it in half and that's how many ounces you should aim for. Makes more sense to me than a "one size fits all" approach. So...if you weigh 150, you should drink about 75 ounces.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    yes it gets better, you'll soon be able to go a whole 10 mins before peeing LOL ....seriously though it will be ok, I can go a few hours now between wees and I sip at water off and on all day.

Ps you might be drinking more than you need.
  • RiderCG
    RiderCG Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback. I'm also wondering if I've just shocked my body from going to nothing to a closer to normal amount.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i had the exact opposite problem i was drinking around 5-10 litres of water a day happily, Peeing like crazy and at my work theres no easy access to bathrooms for hours at a time sometimes all day so i activly had to focus on dehydrating self a bit. I STILL pee just as much just smaller amounts, So what i gather from that anyway is im just always going to pee alot because tiny bladder, If you didnt pee this much before im sure your body will adjust slightly and you will pee less in time, But still more volume if your drinking more. Maybe try holding your pee for a little more often (not until your uncomfortable!) And see if your body will get used to it a bit quicker
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    As long as your hydrated, you are fine.
    Remember, you get water from food and other beverages as well. It all counts toward water intake.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I drink, on average, 160 oz of water a day. Usually more on higher intensity days. I pee a lot. Maybe every couple of hours. I've just gotten used to it, I guess.
  • aguaindaia
    aguaindaia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i had the exact opposite problem i was drinking around 5-10 litres of water a day happily, Peeing like crazy and at my work theres no easy access to bathrooms for hours at a time sometimes all day so i activly had to focus on dehydrating self a bit. I STILL pee just as much just smaller amounts, So what i gather from that anyway is im just always going to pee alot because tiny bladder, If you didnt pee this much before im sure your body will adjust slightly and you will pee less in time, But still more volume if your drinking more. Maybe try holding your pee for a little more often (not until your uncomfortable!) And see if your body will get used to it a bit quicker

10 litres of water a day? That sounds painful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RiderCG wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback. I'm also wondering if I've just shocked my body from going to nothing to a closer to normal amount.

I don't know if "shocked your body" is the right verbage...but if you were chronically dehydrated before, you weren't used to going to the restroom with any frequency...'cuz dehydrated. When you're properly hydrated, it isn't abnormal to have to use the restroom every 1-2 hours.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    aguaindaia wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

10 litres of water a day? That sounds painful.

haha iv always loved water XD I have always been like that it was more annoying to me to stop drinking as much, Mouth feels all dehydrated often so id just chug water. Often id still be dehydrated XD
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just drink water with meals and whenever I am thirsty.
    You are drinking more than you need so you are peeing a lot. Cut back to 2-3 of those bottles a day and you'll probably be plenty hydrated.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    RiderCG wrote: »
    So I find the only way I actually drink water is through this one water bottle I have - it has a straw which I love for some reason.

I measured it out and I can fit three cups (like actual cups, not a glass) in it. I find I'm drinking about 4 of these throughout the day on average.

There is no one universal answer on how much water you need for hydration...and keep in mind that you are also receiving hydration from eating as well as any other fluids you take in.

I live in the desert at about a mile high above sea level and I'm very active...I will require more fluids to stay hydrated than someone living in a temperate climate at sea level who is sedentary...everything that's out there is just a general guideline and may or may not be applicable to you...

f88e375b7440dcd463a709effdb66aa0.jpg

If you're constantly going, it's very likely you are over hydrating. Over hydrating is going to strip your body of electrolytes.

Is this chart good if one's main source of liquid is dark tea?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Tea is still a liquid, your system processes out the tannins so yes, you still can use that chart no matter what you drink.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I've increased my water in the past... and I didn't like how it made me feel. So now I drink if thirsty. I get most of my hydration from foods and coffee.

Still alive. Still healthy. The obsession with pushing tons of water has no actual backing - it's just a myth that passes from person to person. Drink lots if you want to, but if you know you're leaving on a road trip then it's a good day to skip it.
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you are going to the toilet loads you may want to look at training your bladder. When you feel the urge to pee you wait 10 minutes and if you still need to go you head off to the toilet otherwise you wait again until you feel the urge. It can help to retrain your pee signals. This helped me after I had my two kids and didn't have a child dancing on my bladder anymore.