Hypothyroidism and weightloss

Options
ECE1234
ECE1234 Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone !
I am 5'4
CW : 140
GW : 115

I am a mom of two. Before I had my babies I weighed around 100 pounds after I had my first daughter I developed hypothyroidism which makes it so hard to lose weight I have always yo- yo 'd in my weight. I changed my diet completely I no longer consume dairy or meat products I consume more of a plant based diet . Anyone else who struggles with their thyroid as well ? If so , any advice ?

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's hard cause it tricks you into thinking you are hungry. I have it. It's a B*T*H! But the solution is still the same as not having it. Less calories in. Take your medication religiously. (I have issues with that because I can't remember the bloody things. I literally have them on the coffee table next to a bottle of water with a note saying "take me I'm yours" and still will forget!)
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hello! Make sure you take thyroid medication first thing in the morning, an hour before you eat anything. Lots of food (and even coffee) can interfere with how it's absorbed so your hormone levels can fluctuate. I've had hypothyroidism since I was 7 and didn't know that until recently! Now I take mine as soon as I turn my alarm off in the morning. I've also read that too much soy is bad for your thyroid - I don't eat a lot of soy, but it's something to watch out for. Good luck and hang in there!
  • ECE1234
    ECE1234 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank u !! I didn't know about the soy .
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it just eat in a calorie deficit and fight the hunger cravings ....no illness can stop you from reaching yours goals I'm type 1 diabetic and losing 1lb a week keep at it you will get there :)
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I have had it since I was about 14, but wasn't diagnosed until a slew of medical tests to find out why I had 6 miscarriages. I have never been small, but I ballooned up to over 270 pounds. I got serious with my calorie intake in August and have logged religiously since then and I am down 66 pounds. So, it can be done. It is just a slower process than it is for people without the condition. I also second the advice about making sure you take your medication early in the morning, at least an hour before consuming ANYTHING but water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!