Shark week

Anyone have any advice for period weight loss..?

I'm eating probably 1000 calories below maintenance per day.. was losing 2 lb for week for the last month then all of a sudden my period hits and it's over. Haven't lost at all this week since it started despite all the exercise and lack of food >:(

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It's extremely common to not lose weight around/during your period because your elevated hormones cause you to retain more water. Be patient, it should fall off within a week.
  • reducingrenee622
    reducingrenee622 Posts: 48 Member
    You bloat when you get your period, so you gain water weight. I gain anywhere from 8-10 pounds!!! I wouldn't worry about it, because it'll all fall off once you finish. I recommend once you notice PMS symptoms to quit weighing yourself (I start bloating almost a week before the actual period).....you'll stress yourself out too much
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You retain water during your period... just don't weigh yourself on 'shark week' if you're that bothered...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    1000 calories below maintenance per day

I don't think I could survive like that. I tend to gain 4-5 lbs PMS week, but it usually drops off mid-shark week. It's just water, it will eventually catch up and go away.
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    The title.. and the question... really didn't make sense to me..

Shark week = Blood in the water ;)

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2017
    Don't weigh yourself during you period.

Given your stats, you should be eating more than 1000 calories below maintenance.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    I guess I am one of the few lucky ones. If I stick to my meal plans and drinks lots of water--more than usual, then I actually lose weight the week before and the week of. TOM started today and I am 2 lbs down from a week ago.
    I also don't use my period as an excuse to eat more.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yeah, I don't seem to gain during my period either, nor do I have much in the way of PMS, definitely lucky.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I guess I am one of the few lucky ones. If I stick to my meal plans and drinks lots of water--more than usual, then I actually lose weight the week before and the week of. TOM started today and I am 2 lbs down from a week ago.

You already said you're one of the lucky ones. Eating more during PMS is not just a choice for some of us --it's an actual, physiological, hormonal thing. I often can tell I'm nearing TOM because of my appetite, not the other way around.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    tklivory wrote: »

Thats.. Lovely.. lol
    I usually just say i am "broken" and leave it at that

It's 'jam week' in my house... or I tell my husband he won't want sauce on his sausage :laugh:
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    "Shark week"?

Good LORD. :/
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    rhenry2424 wrote: »

You already said you're one of the lucky ones. Eating more during PMS is not just a choice for some of us --it's an actual, physiological, hormonal thing. I often can tell I'm nearing TOM because of my appetite, not the other way around.

Oh, i want to eat more. I want to devour every single thing in sight. Not giving in makes me feel like I am starving sometimes.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    tklivory wrote: »

Thats.. Lovely.. lol
    I usually just say i am "broken" and leave it at that

It's 'jam week' in my house... or I tell my husband he won't want sauce on his sausage :laugh:

Ew.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry to those who are grossed out, but I <3 the term "shark week" and I shall use it from now on. :D

OP, don't stress over water weight fluctuations, they're part of life. You're looking for an overall downwards trend, not a clockwork loss from week to week.

And 1000 calories is very low, do you mind if I ask how tall you are and how much you are trying to lose?