Kicking the diet soda habit - how long?

Options
Clawsal
Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
I have been drinking coke zero every day for 5 years and it has taken a toll on my teeth (I had cavities!) and I am worried about my bones in the future too.

I quit cold turkey and two weeks later I still want to drink coke.

So for those of you who have quit: how long until the "cravings" stopped?
What was helpful?
And for motivation, what were some benefits of quitting?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm no dentist, but I'm pretty sure diet soda had little to no impact on your cavities. Cavities are caused by bacteria which live off the sugar residue of what you eat in your mouth. Diet soda has no sugar, or any other nutrient for bacteria to live on. Granted, sodas can contribute to the wearing away of tooth enamel (or so I've read) but this can be avoided by brushing teeth after every meal (like everyone's supposed) and practicing good dental hygiene.

If you are staying hydrated, and getting in all the nutrients you need to fit your activity levels, there are no real and concrete health benefits for stopping a moderate intake of diet soda.
  • Clawsal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    I'm no dentist, but I'm pretty sure diet soda had little to no impact on your cavities. Cavities are caused by bacteria which live off the sugar residue of what you eat in your mouth. Diet soda has no sugar, or any other nutrient for bacteria to live on. Granted, sodas can contribute to the wearing away of tooth enamel (or so I've read) but this can be avoided by brushing teeth after every meal (like everyone's supposed) and practicing good dental hygiene.

If you are staying hydrated, and getting in all the nutrients you need to fit your activity levels, there are no real and concrete health benefits for stopping a moderate intake of diet soda.

Yeah.... no. Coke zero did contribute to the demineralization of my teeth which lead to increased sensitivity and a higher susceptibility to cavities. I now have very thin enamel. Also I was drinking coke all day long (1.5 liters a day) and it was not possible to brush my teeth each time I drank it.

I did not ask for reasons not to quit, please don't try and discourage me.

There's your problem. Moderation in all things.

You are free to feel as encouraged or discouraged as you please, it won't change facts.

Have a great day, and good luck with your goals.

I agree a can of coke a day probably would have a significant effect, unfortunately I am not able to restrain myself to just one if I do have it. I creep back to drinking large quantities.

And in this case, your facts are wrong, as diet soda does contribute to tooth decay.
  • Clawsal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I believe you that soda contributed to your cavities and enamel erosion. There's a big poster in my dentists office listing the side effects from regular soda AND diet.

I cant speak from experience because I've never even tried diet soda, I'll have a glass of regular every few months or so.

You'll have to stay strong until the habit becomes a distant memory. It's the same for every substance, smoking, booze etc etc That ingrained habit sticks around a lot longer than the physical "withdrawl".

I've seen many posts here from people who have managed to kick their soda havit, hopefully they'll be along soon.

Good luck and keep it up, every day will be easier than the last.

Thank you for your input! Actually it is not the sugar but the acidity that is the most problematic in soda. So it makes sense that diet would have just the same impact as regular. I see a lot of people are drinking vinegar these days for weight loss :s. I wonder if doing this long term also has an effect on their teeth.

Right now I am just dealing with the habit - tired, thirsty? - I want to reach for a coke. Surprisingly I had no withdrawal symptoms such as headaches.

ETA: My dentist also warned me against my diet soda drinking habits. My mum is at risk for osteoporosis and her doctor also warned her about drinking soda.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What is it that you're missing without it?

If it's the flavor - water enhancers like Mio and Crystal Light might help.

If it's the fizz, what about sparkling water? If you need more flavor, add a shot from a water enhancer or infuse some fruit.

I'm not a huge fan of plain water other than when I'm running. At work, I usually flavor with Mio, though I am planning to try some store brand ones in the future.

~Lyssa
  • Clawsal
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

If it's the fizz, what about sparkling water? If you need more flavor, add a shot from a water enhancer or infuse some fruit.

I'm not a huge fan of plain water other than when I'm running. At work, I usually flavor with Mio, though I am planning to try some store brand ones in the future.

~Lyssa

I guess I miss the caffeine effects. But also, when I am thirsty I automatically want to drink coke and not water. In those moments, if I had a bottle of coke with me I would drink it. This is why I can't drink it "in moderation".

I replaced the soda with a double espresso in the morning, and sparkling water and tea during the day. I don't really like to drink plain water.

I will look into Mio and Crystal Light but I am not in the US and am guessing we don't have those here.

Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I believe you that soda contributed to your cavities and enamel erosion. There's a big poster in my dentists office listing the side effects from regular soda AND diet.

I cant speak from experience because I've never even tried diet soda, I'll have a glass of regular every few months or so.

You'll have to stay strong until the habit becomes a distant memory. It's the same for every substance, smoking, booze etc etc That ingrained habit sticks around a lot longer than the physical "withdrawl".

I've seen many posts here from people who have managed to kick their soda havit, hopefully they'll be along soon.

Good luck and keep it up, every day will be easier than the last.

Thank you for your input! Actually it is not the sugar but the acidity that is the most problematic in soda. So it makes sense that diet would have just the same impact as regular. I see a lot of people are drinking vinegar these days for weight loss :s. I wonder if doing this long term also has an effect on their teeth.

Right now I am just dealing with the habit - tired, thirsty? - I want to reach for a coke. Surprisingly I had no withdrawal symptoms such as headaches.

ETA: My dentist also warned me against my diet soda drinking habits. My mum is at risk for osteoporosis and her doctor also warned her about drinking soda.

My mum has osteoporosis, and one of the first things her doctor asked her was if she had a soda habit, and yes she did :worried: . Other than my dentist, most of the info i have on it has come from her doctor, You're doing the right thing by quitting it.
    I liken it to "liquid handcuffs", where people can not function with out drinking soda everyday, F that! I've had a couple of addictions in my lifetime, i do not want to be adding another one, i just hate the thought of being dependent on anything..

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

I guess I miss the caffeine effects. But also, when I am thirsty I automatically want to drink coke and not water. In those moments, if I had a bottle of coke with me I would drink it. This is why I can't drink it "in moderation".

I replaced the soda with a double espresso in the morning, and sparkling water and tea during the day. I don't really like to drink plain water.

I will look into Mio and Crystal Light but I am not in the US and am guessing we don't have those here.

Thanks!

What about a soda stream where you can make it at home? But this is really swapping one habit for another, and you'll never be truly free of the fizzy dependance.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No tea no shade but you didn't think to drink through a straw? I never drink diet soda with out a straw it never touches your teeth goes straight back into your throat
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What about a soda stream where you can make it at home? But this is really swapping one habit for another, and you'll never be truly free of the fizzy dependance.

Keep in mind carbonating your water is making it acidic, so you are not solving the problem entirely.

http://www.today.com/health/sparkling-water-bad-your-teeth-dentists-weigh-t70761
  • Demenseotf
    Demenseotf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My dentist told me to cut back so I did. After about a month I was used to only really drinking water, with maybe a can once a week.
  • jlewis326
    jlewis326 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop about 3 weeks ago. I realized i liked the CO2 so i swapped my pop out for carbinated flavoured water. After a week of that, i swapped to just normal flavoured water. I try to drink 8-10 glasses of water in some form now and i have to say, i dont miss it.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    For motivation: I've read that diet drinks devastate your gut's microbiome, leading to all kinds of problems.
    I've also read that the artificial sweetener can spike your blood sugar. That makes no scientific sense initially, but evidently there's something to it.

I quit last Fall, and it took at least a month to get over it and begin to really like the taste of water. Now I enjoy drinking water with my meals, and even after my meal, while I'm waiting for the family to stop eating.

Buy yourself a variety of nice glasses to drink from. For me, it really makes a difference if I like my glass.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Actually it is not the sugar but the acidity that is the most problematic in soda...

Yes. It is harmful to both teeth and bones. The phosphoric acid in cola-type soda leaches calcium from your bones. Sodas without phosphoric acid, like lemon-lime types, aren't associated with this leaching effect. It's still acidic and not good for the tooth enamel, though.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    No tea no shade but you didn't think to drink through a straw? I never drink diet soda with out a straw it never touches your teeth goes straight back into your throat

That is actually something I have tried. It did not work out as it diminished my enjoyment of the drink and it was not practical carrying a straw around. Right now I would rather just kick the habit.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »

Keep in mind carbonating your water is making it acidic, so you are not solving the problem entirely.

http://www.today.com/health/sparkling-water-bad-your-teeth-dentists-weigh-t70761

Yep that is true and I hope to slowly get back to drinking plain tap water. I just checked and the sparkling water I drink (henniez verte) has a ph of 7.38! I am very surprised by this.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    jlewis326 wrote: »
    I stopped drinking pop about 3 weeks ago. I realized i liked the CO2 so i swapped my pop out for carbinated flavoured water. After a week of that, i swapped to just normal flavoured water. I try to drink 8-10 glasses of water in some form now and i have to say, i dont miss it.

A week? That was fast! I am two weeks in and am not ready to give up sparkling water yet ;)
    Demenseotf wrote: »
    My dentist told me to cut back so I did. After about a month I was used to only really drinking water, with maybe a can once a week.

For motivation: I've read that diet drinks devastate your gut's microbiome, leading to all kinds of problems.
    I've also read that the artificial sweetener can spike your blood sugar. That makes no scientific sense initially, but evidently there's something to it.

I quit last Fall, and it took at least a month to get over it and begin to really like the taste of water. Now I enjoy drinking water with my meals, and even after my meal, while I'm waiting for the family to stop eating.

Buy yourself a variety of nice glasses to drink from. For me, it really makes a difference if I like my glass.

So one month it is. I can make it :). I do like drinking from nice glaces actually, or a nice water bottle. Good advice :)
    Try drinking from a straw to save your teeth from staining if that's the problem. I drink everything from a straw that isn't water. I feel for you. No matter how many times I quit drinking coffee, I always went right back to it. I think I am even addicted just to *holding* the cup in my hand like a smoker craves a cigarette between their fingers. I guess the addiction is also in the repetition of experience. Anyway, the best I could ever get it down to is about 20oz a day.

Why are you quitting? Is because of caffeine or fake sugar affects or because of the teeth issues. Staining can be prevented with a straw and brushing, and caffeine withdrawal can take about 2 days to a week to get over, at least for me it did. Overall, you can make yourself simply "less thirsty" by drinking more water to stay hydrated. Like a gallon throughout the entire day. Doesn't leave much room to want to drink an additional Coke Zero. I'm sure the Coke Zero was dehydrating you anyway because of the caffeine.

I am not quitting because of the teeth stains, I have no staining from drinking all that coke. Is it normal or was I lucky?

I have no problem with caffeine. Caffeine is helpful to me!

However, as mentioned above I had cavities that were facilitated by my having very thin enamel due to sipping coke all day long. The acidity helps bacteria proliferate and drinking coke is apparently bad for your bones.

I am also worried than thin enamel will result in yellowing teeth and sensitive teeth (which I already have).