What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
My fiancee has a job interview tomorrow and they asked him to bring "an outline of how he expects the meeting to go." What is that? I have never heard of this, and we have no idea where to start. Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of interview tactic before?

Replies

• kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Umm... that's weird :frown: . Make sure he ends it with him getting hired :wink: .
  • Jorra
    Options
    Umm... that's weird :frown: . Make sure he ends it with him getting hired :wink: .

LOL yea, "bullet point 17: I get hired"
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    That was going to be my suggestion. Have him talk about how funny and professional the will find him and how he will blow their minds with his awesomeness, and that the realize that without him, the company is DOOMED.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I would totally google it. Im sure its some new tactic taught to the CEOs in some business seminar or another
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    I just tried that (Googling it), and the only thing I found was this thread! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Maybe they purposely gave him an ambiguous task to see if he would ask for clarification or just try to wing it....
  • Jorra
    Options
    I just tried that, and the only thing I found was this thread! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I can find is stuff on how to write an outline when you are interviewing someone else!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    As other people have said it sounds like an interview tactic to learn something about him by how he responds.

I think they're looking to see if he's confident and whether or not he believes he deserves a second interview.

My advice is for him to state the obvious in a confident but not cocky way. "I expect you to realise that I am a viable candidate and I expect to get a second interview."

He could get a little cocky if he thinks that would be well received, " I expect you to realise that I am the right person for the position".
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Is he interviewing for a management position? Perhaps they're just trying to get an idea of his style by what he places the most time on on his agenda?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Well lets see, it would start with meeting the interviewer as well as them meeting him, getting to know more about the company, THe interviewer getting to know more about him, his values, and how he can contribute to the company (especially any above and beyond qualifications/certifications), and interactive discussion about the job expectations and how he can meet or exceed them. Closing with a tour of the facility and scheduling a second interview
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Oh, someone just went to a conference and took a break out session on new interviewing ideas. how dumb.

Anyway, I was an HR Director for 10 years. Put something like this:

INTRODUCTIONS

BACKGROUND ON COMPANY (interviewer)
    * company / industry history
    * company demographics
    * company needs and expectations
    * position description

BACKGROUND ON CANDIDATE (your boyfriend)
    * education, experience
    * why he applied for job
    * essential skills and ideas he will bring to the company
    * why he has been successful in the past
    * job and career goals
    * personal anecdotes

QUESTIONS (interviewer)
    * job / skill related
    * probably will ask how much $$$ you are looking for. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

QUESTIONS (candidate)
    * what is the culture like?
    * what are the hours expectations
    * how many staff will I supervise, and/or to whom will I report?
    * benefits (sick, vacation, holidays, health, disability, education etc).
    * anything else you're wondering about
    * what is the pay? (PROBABLY THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU)
    * what is the career path?

TOUR OF FACILITY (maybe not until subsequent interview)

INTRODUCTION TO POTENTIAL CO-WORKERS, OR OTHER DECISION-MAKERS (maybe not until subsequent interview)

CONCLUSION (interviewer)
    * timeline for hiring
    * expectation for next communication
    * any other questions?

CLOSE (candidate)
    * any last questions
    * relate any other experiences/skills that apply to something you saw or heard
    * sell -- why you are motivated to work for this company and reiterate what you have to offer them
    * goodbye: I look forward to speaking with you . . . next week, whenever interviewer said you could expect to hear from him.

good luck.
  • Jorra
    Options
    It's not a management position, entry level. He's so far interpreted the whole thing as a list of questions he will ask at the interview.

I really hate the hoop jumping and specific rules in corporate job seeking. None of it makes sense to me.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Here is an example (I just graduated from business school last year):
    In Outline Format (difficult to replicate on this message board)....

I. Introduction
    a. (Your name) introduces himself to the interviewers (better if add their names here).

II. Discuss the Position
    a. Outline specific subjects about the position that will be discussed such as
    b. What is required
    c. What is expected
    d. Responsibilities
    e. Hours
    f. Etc

III. Discuss (Your name)'s Qualifications
    a. Outline specific qualifications to be discussed such as
    b. School
    c. Experience
    d. Extra curriculars
    e. Etc

IV. Determine whether Position and Qualification are a match

V. Discuss Salary

VI. Discuss Questions
    a. Does Interviewer have questions for (your name)?
    b. Does (your name) have questions for Interviewer

VII. Schedule follow up interview.

VIII. Conclude Interview.

Other items that may be included are
    Discuss Employee Handbook
    Take tour of the plant/ office
    Meet future boss/ employees
    Etc

Make sure the outline is chronological and formal. Type in 10pt or 12pt font with Ariel or Times New Roman font in black ink.
    Include a title, your name, and the position for which you are applying for in the title line.
    Message me with any questions!! :flowerforyou:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    EDITS:

Be prepared to discuss why you left (or are leaving) your last job.

Be prepared to explain any gaps in employment or potentially messy previous separations.

Be prepared to explain any convictions or drug offenses.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Thanks guys! We're working on bulking up the outline based on what you guys suggested! We are really lost here!